• Show
Clear All

• Mason Hope, RHP

Discuss.
    --------------------
    Marlins love the Broken Arrow arms!
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-07-2011, 01:12 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Another JJ, I'll take it

Comment

goes by Mason Hope, father Patrick pitched at OK State
      --------------------
      John Kilma from BaseballBeginnings digs him
      --------------------
      Lean and lanky and physically projectable. Loose and easy arm action, high ¾ slot, balanced and coordinated, lands well. FB 88-91, comfortable 90 with downhill plane and frequent sink. CB 71-74 with 12/6 proper rotation. SL with occasional spin, 72-76, liked CB better in this look. CHG 70-71 with feel and deception, frequent sink. Well-rounded with more there.
      http://baseballbeginnings.com/2010/1...-hope-scouting

video here: (can't embed) http://baseballbeginnings.com/2011/0...ick-hope-video
      --------------------
      more video:

http://video.maxpreps.com/video/vide...4-e0aa7f3fa3f5

I'm a fan if we can sign him
      --------------------
      commit to OU
      --------------------
      Pitcher Mason Hope joins Broken Arrow teammate Archie Bradley in giving a verbal commitment to the University of Oklahoma baseball program.
      Hope, a right-hander, was 9-2 with one save and a 1.31 earned run average in 2010. In 64 innings, Hope registered 97 strikeouts.

“I’m real excited to go where I know some people,” he said. “I’ll get to room with Archie, he’s my best friend.”

Hope said even his father, former OSU pitcher Pat Hope, got on board with Mason’s decision.

“He was happy for me,” Mason said.

Hope said he chose the Sooners over 11 other offers. He had narrowed his choices to five schools — Louisiana State, Texas Christian, Alabama, Arkansas and Tennessee.

“Okahoma just seemed like the best fit,” Hope said. “They went to the College World Series last year. I know some of the guys on the team. And it’s close to home. My dad will be able to watch me.”

Broken Arrow coach Shannon Dobson said Hope called him with the news about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday.

“Mason and Archie are two big arms that should help OU,” Dobson said. “It’s exciting for our program to have two guys go to a big-time program.”
      http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...0_Pitche108800
      Last edited by emkayseven; 06-07-2011, 01:16 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Interesting, projectable arm.

BA ranked 127.

103 SO / 29 BB / 39 H in 58 IP
        Christian Yelich
        LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
        12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
        100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
        .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

Physical Description

Hope has a well proportioned, athletic frame. There's plenty of room for added size as he matures and that should lead to some additional velocity. He's a long, loose athlete with a great deal of physical upside.

Mechanics

He works from a full windup, and has a long, loose arm action. Getting on his front side a little early is a minor problem he'll need to work on, but otherwise has a pretty clean delivery.

Fastball

I expect the velocity to eventually come for Hope. Right now he works at 88-90 mph, but does it with relative ease. There could be a spike in the next couple years given his frame and athleticism. He can crank it up to 91-92 at times, and in time he should be able to sit around there.

Curveball

Hope has a very advanced feel for his breaking pitches. His curveball comes in at 71-73 mph and should tighten up as his velocity increases. It shows good 11-5 action and he keeps it on the corners of the zone with regularity.

Slider

The Oklahoma native also has another variation of his breaking ball. The slider comes in around 77-80 mph. He shows a good feel for this pitch and it's probably superior to his curveball at this point.

Summation

Hope is a pure projection case, and has started showing more velocity this spring. He will take some time to reach his ceiling, but already has a feel for three pitches. If he fills out as scouts expect, he has the look of a quality mid-rotation big league starter.

-from scoutingbaseball.com

Comment

Like this pick.

Comment

Relative to the Marlins tendencies, I like this draft so far.
              Christian Yelich
              12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836

Last 10 Games:
              .394/.512/.697/1.155

Comment

think he's gonna be real tough to pry away from his commit
                --------------------
                from his facebook:

I love my life I'm living and i would'nt change it for anything. I'm commited to OU to play baseball and i can't wait.
                --------------------
                but THEN:

Mason Hope
                I'm a Florida marlin!!!!!
                48 seconds ago via iPhone
                Last edited by emkayseven; 06-07-2011, 01:32 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Teenagers.
                  Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                  Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Marlins scouting director Stan Meek is from Oklahoma and loves getting hometown arms. Righthander Mason Hope shows promise with his 90-92 mph fastball and could add velocity in the future. His curveball is a wipeout pitch at times and it just shows how deep the state is when Hope was the fifth prep arm gone in the state.
                    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/
                    Christian Yelich
                    12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836

Last 10 Games:
                    .394/.512/.697/1.155

Comment

Locust Grove's Houser, Broken Arrow's Hope go in MLBI suck.draft

Two more University of Oklahoma signees with Green Country addresses were chosen Tuesday in the major league baseball draft.

Locust Grove right-handed pitcher Adian Houser was chosen in the second round, going to the Houston Astros on the 69th overall pick.

Broken Arrow right-hander Mason Hope went in the fifth round to the Florida Marlins on the 163rd pick.

Hope joins Oklahoma signee Archie Bradley from the Tigers’ Class 6A championship team. Bradley went on the seventh overall pick to the Arizona Diamondbacks in Monday’s first round.

Houser, who sweated the first round during a draft watch party Monday night at the Renaissance Hotel, said it was a relief to hear his name called shortly after the draft resumed Tuesday at 11 a.m.

“It is a relief, because now I don’t have to stress about when I was going to get picked,” he said.

Houser went 10-1 with an 0.89 ERA, leading Locust Grove to the Class 4A state title. He struck out 125 in 65 innings and was also a terror at the plate, hitting 11 homers.

The 2010 Under Armour All-American excited pro scouts almost as much as Bradley and Owasso’s Dylan Bundy, who went fourth overall in Monday’s first round to the Baltimore Orioles. Rivals.com rated Houston a four-star prospect.

Will he go to OU or sign with the Astros?

“I just want to play baseball, so we’ll just to see how everything goes,” he said.

Hope said he was “pretty definite” that he would sign with the Marlins.

“Oklahoma’s a great school, but my dream is to play major league baseball and this is how it’s gonna get started,” he said.

Hope had several friends over to follow Tuesday’s draft coverage, but he went outside to be alone and think when he didn’t hear his name called earlier.

“I was actually in the back yard and I heard everybody screaming and when I came inside, it was all smiles It’s such a great feeling to hear your name called,” he said.

Hope went 7-1 on the mound with a 2.40 ERA, striking out 103 in 58-1/3 innings for the Tigers, who capped a 36-2 season by beating Owasso 4-0 in the 6A final last month at ONEOK Field.

Houser and Hope were the fourth and fifth Oklahoma high schoolers chosen, joining Bundy, Bradley and Edmond Deer Creek’s Michael Fulmer, who went to the New York Mets on the 44th pick overall.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...0_Locust371170

Hopefully he signs soon

Comment

Ranked 9th best prospect in OKL by ALLAN SIMPSON/DAVID RAWNSLEY before draft and project to go around rounds 4-10.
                        9. MASON HOPE, rhp, Broken Arrow HS
                        Second fiddle to Bradley; young 6-3/180 build, + projects; 88-92 FB, sharp SL, also has CU/CH; OU signee.
                        http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...x?article=5715

Comment

Signed!!!!!!!!!!

Hope agrees to Marlins' contract terms

Broken Arrow pitcher Mason Hope, a fifth-round draft choice of the Florida Marlins, has agreed to terms with the National League team, his father-agent Pat Hope said Thursday afternoon.
                          But, the right-hander can't sign with the Marlins until the deal "is approved by Major League Baseball and that could be several weeks," Pat Hope said.

Had the two parties reached an accord, Mason Hope would have enrolled at the University of Oklahoma this fall.
                          Hope was 7-1 with a 2.40 earned run average this spring for the Tigers.
                          http://baledger.com/sports/hope-agre...cc4c002e0.html

This was an article just before signing

Hope playing baseball waiting game

Mason Hope’s baseball life continues to be in limbo.
                          It’s been almost a month since he was the Florida Marlins’ fifth round pick in the Major League Baseball draft.
                          Still, the lanky right-handed pitcher hasn’t signed a contract with the National League affiliate.

A part of Broken Arrow High School’s Class 6A state championship team in May, Hope seems to be patiently playing “a waiting game.”
                          His father, Pat Hope, is handling the financial dealings with the Marlins.

“Dad is handling all of the negotiations,” Mason said. “I will leave that up to him.”

If the Hopes can’t reach agreement with Florida, young Hope will attend the University of Oklahoma this fall and play baseball for the Sooners.
                          “That,” Mason said of OU, “isn’t a bad option, at all.”

Mason was 7-1 this spring for the 36-2 Tigers and registered the second most victories behind Archie Bradley. Mason had a 2.40 earned run average with four complete games in nine starts. He recorded 103 strikeouts over 58 1/3 
innings.

Negotiations aren’t supposed to begin until Friday, but Pat shed some light on the situation.

“We are getting pretty close to working things out,” said Pat, who wouldn’t disclose the financial 
package.
                          Meanwhile, Mason continues playing for the Oklahoma Drillers, a team comprised of many of his BAHS 
teammates.

“Been working out and playing a lot of long catch, too,” Mason said. “Pitching-wise, I’m throwing pretty well. My arm feels fine and has a lot of life.”
                          Mason and the Drillers enter a weeklong tournament in Georgia this weekend.
                          Pat doesn’t expect a deal with the Marlins to be completed until the following week.

“If it happens,” Pat said, “things for Mason will start happening real fast. He’s done a great job of handling all of this very well.”
                          Pat was a stellar pitcher for Stillwater High School in the mid-1980s, graduating in 1985. He played three seasons at Oklahoma State University before shoulder problems.
                          The Minnesota Twins drafted Pat in the 33rd round in 1988 pending shoulder surgery.

“I had an opportunity but never got the chance to play professional baseball because the shoulder wasn’t the same,” Pat said.
                          Mason has the tools, his father said.

“He is so much better than I ever was,” Pat said. “He has what it takes to play in the major leagues. But, he’ll have work to get there.”
                          http://baledger.com/sports/hope-play...cc4c03286.html
                          Last edited by LocoMarlinFan; 06-30-2011, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Nice get.

Comment

Impressed with the signings so far. I imagine Hope, Lowell, Veras, and Burke are overslot.
                              Christian Yelich
                              12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836

Last 10 Games:
                              .394/.512/.697/1.155

Comment

Working...
                              X