• Round 3 | Connor Barron | SS | Sumrall HS (Mis) | NOT SIGNING

Discuss.
    --------------------
    15 for 15 in SB

comparisons to Reid Brignac

might get too big for SS
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-07-2011, 12:02 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

BA in HS this year... .500

Comment

6'1" 170
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

good baseball name

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cln7mnZ4zwU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14jgj6t_piE&feature=related[/ame]
          --------------------
          looks like there's some discrepancy about if his name is Conner or Connor
          Last edited by emkayseven; 06-07-2011, 12:05 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Good pick. BA ranked as the 82 best prospect.

Athletic with good overall hit tool from the left side.
            Christian Yelich
            LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
            12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
            100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
            .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

John Sickels seems to really like him, some thought he could sneak into the late end of the first round. Good pick, makes up for the meh of taking the tall Rob Rasmussen.

Sickels -

Connor Barron, SS, Sumrall HS, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
              Young infielder showed rapid improvement this spring, due to physical maturity. Current feeling is that he should hit for average and has a chance to develop more power than many shortstops. Runs well, has a good arm, and many scouts think he can stay at shortstop. Was seen as a third-round or later guy pre-season, but he now has a good chance to go in the supplemental round. It is possible that someone who really likes him could pick him in the back end of the regular first round. 6-3, 190, hits left, committed to Southern Mississippi but should sign if drafted early enough.

Comment

MLB has him as Conner, everything else has Connor

Comment

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?to...nt_id=14697037
                  Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                  Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                  Tom Koehler(4-0)
                  AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

I'm a fan of a potentially good left handed hitter.

Comment

It would be easy to think there’s not a whole lot to accomplish after helping your team to four straight baseball championships as well as state records and national recognition.

For Sumrall shortstop Connor Barron, though, the journey is just beginning.

“All I can say is it was a crazy, wild ride,” Barron said. “I came to Sumrall as a freshman, and if someone had told me what I was about to go through, I would have called them crazy.”

Already signed with Southern Miss to continue his playing career next year, things could take a turn for the crazier for Barron with the Major League Baseball Draft beginning on Monday and running through Wednesday.

The 6-foot-1, 170-pound infielder is definitely on the radars of pro scouts, and the MLB.com Draft Tracker even features video of Barron, a feature reserved for only a small portion of draft prospects.

“There have been rumors and stuff,” Barron said, “but I can’t tell you how true it is, so you can’t take it to heart. They’re saying first three rounds, but I could go 10th round. You never know how it turns out. They see me going early, but you never know.”

You never do know, which is why Barron is taking it all in stride. Unlike other sports, where an athlete has to declare for the draft, baseball players can be drafted and negotiate with teams before deciding whether or not to sign. That means that Barron can wait to see who drafts him and where, and then decide whether he wants to turn pro or head to Southern Miss.

“It’s always been a dream of mine to play at Southern,” Barron said, “so I’m definitely looking forward to that. But with the draft coming up, there’s really no telling what will happen. I’m going to leave that up to God. I’m just going to put it in his hands. He’s got a path for me and I’ll follow wherever it leads me.”

So far it’s led him to plenty of success. Barron batted .490 as a senior, with 11 doubles, four triples and eight home runs, driving in 37 runs. He was 15-for-15 on stolen base attempts, and played strong defense at short with a .922 fielding percentage.

It’s led to Barron being widely considered one of the top 100 players coming out of high school nationally.

Every little leaguer in the country dreams of playing big league ball one day, but to actually have an opportunity to realize those dreams now is a special feeling for Barron. He’s specifically received interest from the Atlanta Braves, Florida Marlins and Philadelphia Phillies, and Barron traveled to Atlanta last week for a workout, getting an opportunity to play on Turner Field. The process has left Barron humbled by the experience, and that is allowing him to remain patient with his decision-making.

“There are teams I’d like to go to,” Barron said, “but just the thought of me getting drafted is overwhelming. Now that it’s actually here it’s unreal.

“Right now I think we’re playing it as it works itself out. At the beginning of the season I’d never even thought about this. Now, with the season and some of the stuff I can do, I’ve worked my way up. But whatever happens, happens.”

The experience of swinging a bat at Turner Field after growing up as a Braves fan has also left him feeling like his dreams are within reach, giving him a little extra motivation going forward.

“I’ve always dreamed about being on one of those parks,” Barron said. “It was a dream come true and gives me some incentive. That’s where I want to be. It’ll put a little drive in me, I guess you could say.”

For now, it’s a waiting game. Barron plans to have a small get-together with some family and friends to watch the MLB draft unfold and see where this road takes him.

Then he’ll have to make a decision: Grab a hold of his Major League dream now or head to his dream college, Southern Miss, where he can continue playing with former Bobcats Jackson Posey and Luke Lowery, who has been a teammate since their pre-teen days.

“It would definitely mean a lot,” Barron said of being a Golden Eagle. “And with the success they’ve had this year, almost hosting a regional … They’re definitely making it tough on me, which is a good thing.”

And Barron has all sorts of experience dealing with good things.

“First off, winning four straight championships is absolutely insane,” Barron said. “Now all of a sudden the draft is coming up.

“I’m a in a win-win situation. If I sign it’s a dream come true. If I don’t, I get to play at a school I’ve always wanted to play at. Just an incredible, incredible ride.”
                      we might be spending some money here

http://pinebeltsports.com/1392/sumra...ith-mlb-draft/

Comment

Ewww at that arm

Comment

I see him moving to 2B.

Comment

from his facebook:

Nervous, excited, overwhelmed.. Not real sure where these next few days are going to take me but I know God has a plan and I will follow wherever He leads me

Comment

Originally posted by DropkickAlex View Post
                              I see him moving to 2B.
                              Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                              X