Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Sickels' Top 20

Florida Marlins Top 20 Prospects for 2011

1) Matt Dominguez, 3B, Grade B: Love the glove. . .if he can hit .250 with 15 homers the glove is good enough that he'll play.

2) Christian Yelich, OF-1B, Grade B-: Grade is conservative until we get more data, but the "high school first baseman who might develop more power" motif makes me uncomfortable. Word is that he'll move to the outfield.

3) Chad James, LHP, Grade B-: Has a very good arm, but showed lack of polish in the Sally League which makes me concerned. Could do better in friendlier FSL.

4) Michael Dunn, LHP, Grade B-: Power arm over from Braves system in Uggla trade can help in relief immediately.

5) Brad Hand, LHP, Grade B-: I seem to like him more than other people do, maybe it is Midwestern bias. He took a step forward this year and I expect another.

6) Rob Rasmussen, LHP, Grade B-: Good mix of pitches, college success track record should help him move through system quickly.

7) Osvaldo Martinez, SS, Grade C+: A good year, I can see him as a steady contributor, don't be deceived by small sample size success in the majors. He's more of a .250-.270 hitter with a fair OBP.

8) Scott Cousins, OF, Grade C+: Perfect fourth outfielder who does a little of everything.

9) Jose Ceda, RHP, Grade C+: Throws really hard. The Marlins have several live arms vying for bullpen spots who have question marks.

10) Jhan Marinez, RHP, Grade C+: Another fireball guy to fill out the pen.

11) Marcell Ozuna, OF, Grade C+: Amazing power in the New York-Penn League, with an amazing strikeout rate to go with it.

12) Tom Koehler, RHP, Grade C+: All he ever does is throw strikes and win games. Stuff isn't bad either, he isn't a total finesse artist. Underrate him at your own peril.

13) Kyle Skipworth, C, Grade C: Hard to rank him any higher. Power is getting better, but swing is still very long, defense still needs work, can't hit for average.

14) Arquimedes Caminero, RHP, Grade C: Another hard-throwing reliever with some command issues.

15) Edgar Olmos, LHP, Grade C: Very projectable lefty, has a chance to break through in friendly Florida State League.

16) Evan Reed, RHP, Grade C: Another potentially solid relief arm, acquired from Rangers in Cantu deal.

17) Sandy Rosario, RHP, Grade C: Always threw strikes, but vaulted to majors after relief conversion added 5 MPH to his fastball. Needs consolidation period.

18) Mark Canha, OF, Grade C: Overlooked bat from 2010 draft has good power potential.

19) Bryan Petersen OF, Grade C: Can he overcome blah year in Triple-A to reinstate status as possible fourth outfielder?

20) J.T. Realmuto, C, Grade C: 2010 draftee moving from shortstop to catcher, hit great in high school, will have to see how fast defense comes around.

OTHERS OF NOTE: Ramon Benjamin, LHP; Austin Brice, RHP; Steve Cishek, RHP; Isaac Galloway, OF; Dan Jennings, LHP; Matt Montgomery, RHP; Robert Morey, RHP; Zach Neal, RHP; Alan Oaks, RHP; Omar Poveda, RHP; Jake Smolinski, 3B; Rett Varner, RHP; Elih Villanueva, RHP (a sleeper!)

This system has seen better days, thanks to the graduations of other players in 2010. The top level of talent has been sheared off, and there are literally no sure-fire position player stars on the horizon. Dominguez should be a good player due to his glove, and Yelich should at least hit for average, but things get very thing after that.

There is more on the pitching side, with a trio of lefties (James, Hand, Rasmussen) standing out as future rotation candidates, plus a huge batch of bullpen arms. But even here, the top guys have some questions. Watch out for Tom Koehler, who could end up having a better career than several of the more heralded arms.
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/...2011#storyjump
    --------------------
    Michael Dunn seems high. Olmos much too low.

Overall, John Sickels' is consistently one of the better prospect analysts, so this list is very solid.

His remarks on Koehler are really interesting.
    Last edited by Bucklin12; 01-05-2011, 10:11 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Christian Yelich
    LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
    12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
    100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
    .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Sickels had Dunn listed as Atlanta's 16th best prospect last year.

Evan Reed, considered our 16th best prospect here, wasn't even an honorable mention on the Rangers list last year.

I guess the + side is that Poveda (the other guy involved in the Cantu deal, along with Reed) is listed as an honorable mention for us, and was considered Texas' 15th best prospect last year, according to Sickels.

Overall, the list kinda sucks.

Then again, the reason why the list looks so weak is because Stanton, Morrison, Coghlan, Gaby, and Sanabia no longer qualify due to their time in the big leagues, so it's not a big deal.

Comment

I thought Poveda was the more highly thought of of the 2 Rangers players, but my memory might be off.

I thought Rasmussen was being moved to the bullpen as a power lefty?

I worry about Ceda's walks.
      Last edited by Todd; 01-05-2011, 02:13 PM.
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Your memory is correct on Poveda, Todd.
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Poveda's ranking probably went down because he was injured last year. That, and his K/9 rate went down a lot the last year he pitched (2009).

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
            I thought Rasmussen was being moved to the bullpen as a power lefty?
            I believe the plan was keep him starting and maybe he ends up in the bullpen later.

Comment

He could be a very electric lefty out of the pen.
              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

I've also never heard anyone refer to Rasmussen as a "power lefty."
                If Rasmussen doesn't end up starting, he's likely not a top prospect at all, in any system. He doesn't have Mike Dunn stuff.

Comment

The plan has always been for him to start until he stops progressing.

And while he isn't a power arm, that doesn't mean he can't succeed in the pen. He has a tick above average velocity, and commands 4 pitches. That's plenty enough.
                  Christian Yelich
                  LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
                  12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
                  100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
                  .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

Working...
                  X