BA's Top 10 Marlins Prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BA's Top 10 Marlins Prospects

The list will be out tomorrow but here's a sneak preview.

Third baseman Matt Dominguez will top Baseball America’s Marlins top 10 Marlins list, which the magazine will reveal on its website Monday. The Marlins will give Dominguez a long look this spring and are prepared to give him the starting job. The consensus is Dominguez, 21, would bring the Marlins a much needed stellar glove, but the question is whether he’ll hit enough.
    Baseball America Executive Editor and prospect guru Jim Callis is among those who has his doubts.

“We’ve ranked Matt Dominguez as Florida’s top prospect and while he’s a gifted defender at third base, his bat is pretty ordinary,” Callis said. “I know the Marlins are looking for third-base options, but I don’t think Dominguez is ready to hit there yet.”

Dominguez was the Marlins’ 2007 first-round pick. Their last two first-rounders — 1B/OF Christian Yelich (2010) and LHP Chad James (2009) — also are expected to crack the top five. C Kyle Skipworth, the club’s 2008 first-rounder, likely will slip beyond the top five based on the fact he played a second year at low-Class A and still isn’t making enough contact.

“The Marlins system isn’t as strong as it has been recently,” Callis said. “Part of that is because Mike Stanton and Logan Morrison graduated to Florida last year, and it’s hard to replace two studs like that, but part of it is that they really haven’t hit the jackpot with a draft pick since Stanton. Their last few drafts have been nothing special and they’re one of the least-aggressive teams when it comes to paying over-slot bonuses. The one real strength of the system right now is hard-throwing relievers, and that’s not a great sign.”

Among those hard-throwing relievers you might in the top 10: Jhan Marinez, Jose Ceda, Sandy Rosario and Arquimedes Caminero.
    Matt Dominguez heads organizational top 10 prospect list

Here's the List:

1. Matt Dominguez, 3B
    2. Chad James, LHP
    3. Christian Yelich, OF
    4. Jhan Marinez, RHP
    5. Ozzy Martinez, SS
    6. Brad Hand, LHP
    7. Scott Cousins, OF
    8. Kyle Skipworth, C
    9. Marcell Ozuna, OF
    10. Rob Rasmussen, LHP

2014 projected lineup:
    C-Kyle Skipworth
    1B-Logan Morrison
    2B-Chris Coghlan
    3B-Matt Dominguez
    SS-Hanley Ramirez
    LF-Christian Yelich
    CF-Scott Cousins
    RF-Michael Stanton

SP-Josh Johnson
    SP-Chad James
    SP-Ricky Nolasco
    SP-Anibal Sanchez
    SP-Brad Hand
    CP-Jhan Marinez

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...1/2611081.html
    Last edited by Miamarlin21; 12-20-2010, 03:43 PM.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Few things interest me:

1 - Cousins being considered a real starting option? His cup of tea last year couldn't drastically change 4th OF projections?
      2 - James and Hand over Volstad in the longterm rotation, with Hand being lower than O. Martinez. Is Hand being considered good here, or Volstad bad?
      3 - Bryan Petersen as our best outfield arm. Huh?
      4 - Jhan that high as a reliever. I hope that's a compliment to him being a shut down arm and not a lack of compliment to the rest of the system, but I fear for the later

I rank them slightly differently

1-Dominguez
      2-James
      3-Hand
      4-Yelich
      5-Skipworth
      6-Rasmussen
      7-Marinez
      8-O. Martinez
      9-Olmos
      10-Ozuna
      11-Cousins
      12-Ceda
      and I don't know after this yet

Comment

1) Cousins is only there because there aren't many outfield options right now (for 2014). It was either him or Petersen.... or Ike Galloway lolz
        2) Volstad won't be here in 2014
        3) Petersen has a gun attached to an oozy. But he's no Brett Carroll

I think you really need to step back when looking at the 2014 lineups... I mean they're pure guesses that usually involve prospects like Josh Booty.

For shits, here's that they have for 2011

Brett Hayes
        LoMo
        Coghlan
        Uggla
        Hanley
        Hammer
        Cam
        Hermida

Andrew Miller
        Anibal
        Volstad
        Sinkbeil
        JJ (at the 5)
        Ryan Tucker as the closer

Comment

Wasn't Ozuna best arm last year

And Nolasco is signed through 2013, Anibal arbitration done after 2012, and Volstad arbitration done after 2013... they all won't be here lol

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
            SS-Hanley Marinez
            Marinez is gonna be a stud

Comment

Pretty crappy list.

Also, someone should tell them that our "best defensive catcher" there is no longer a catcher.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                Wasn't Ozuna best arm last year

And Nolasco is signed through 2013, Anibal arbitration done after 2012, and Volstad arbitration done after 2013... they all won't be here lol
                Actually, both JJ and Nolasco's contracts will end after the 2013 season and Volstad will be entering his third year or arbitration in 2014 (his first year of arbitration eligibility is for the 2012 season). I guess if we're assuming that the payroll will be mid-level by then, we might be able to keep all three but it's doubtful. We can probably keep Volstad (since he'd probably be the cheapest of the three) and one of JJ and Ricky.

Like Ramp showed in his example, those projected lineups are pure guesses and none that I have ever seen has ever been close to being right. Last year's projected rotation for 2012 did not include Anibal Sanchez but he is now back in for 2014.
                Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 12-20-2010, 04:42 PM.

Comment

The 2011 Prospect book is now available!
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                  X