X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suns, Marlins to Extend PDC

Expected this to happen:

By Jeff Elliott
    The Jacksonville Suns are expected to announce Sunday that they will extend their player development agreement with the Florida Marlins for another two years.

The Suns and Marlins are in the second year of their original agreement which was due to expire next month.

Jacksonville won the Southern League championship in 2009 and qualified for the playoffs this year after winning the South Division's first-half title.

Jim Fleming, Marlins vice president of player development and scouting and assistant general manager, confirmed that a new agreement had been reached.

"We've really enjoyed being here. It's a great organization, it has a great fan base and it's close to Miami," Fleming said. "The agreement with the Suns is everything we hoped it would be.

"We're just down the road from Jacksonville which makes it great for major league call-ups or rehab here. Plus it brings the Marlins to north Florida where people are going to get familiar with us. They're going to know Mike Stanton, Logan Morrison and others. It will build our fan base here in this area."

The Marlins have promoted seven players from Jacksonville to the major league roster the last two years. In 2009, four pitchers — Sean West, Graham Taylor, Chris Leroux and Cristhian Martinez — made an appearance with the Marlins.

This year, Stanton became the first Suns position player to be promoted to the big league club. He's since been joined by two other pitchers from the Suns roster this year, Alex Sanabia and Jhan Marinez.

"This was a no-brainer for the Jacksonville Suns," Suns president and general manager Peter Bragan Jr. said. "We're re-signing for two more years, but I hope we have a long relationship with the Marlins. When you look at that Marlins roster, it's already having a distinct Jacksonville flavor right now.

Twelve members of the Marlins' 40-man roster have played for the Suns either this season or last year.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

New trend in the league is for the big club to buy up a % of the affiliate and move it closer to home. That might be too expensive for us.

Comment

I thought the plan after Jacksonville built that new ballpark was to eventually move to the International League?
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
        I thought the plan after Jacksonville built that new ballpark was to eventually move to the International League?
        I don't know, but it would make sense.

Any other market capable of making the jump to the IL?

Comment

Well if that is the case wouldn't it be even better for the Marlins to make Jacksonville their AAA affiliate.

Comment

If I remember right, it all hedged on what happens with the Nashville Sounds and realignment of the IL and PCL.
            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
            Noah Perio
            Jupiter
            39 AB
            15 H
            0 2B
            0 3B
            0 HR
            0 BB
            .385/.385/.385

Comment

I say the Marlins sign the Buffalo Bisons as their AAA team and the Erie Seawolves as their AA team. Just for me.

Comment

Erie Seawolves would be cool.
                Noah Perio
                Jupiter
                39 AB
                15 H
                0 2B
                0 3B
                0 HR
                0 BB
                .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                X