• Jose Alvarez, SP

Full Name: Jose Alvarez
    Born: 5/6/1989
    Birthplace: Barcelona, Venezuela
    Height: 5' 11"
    Weight: 150
    Bats: L
    Throws: L

I think we're going to refer to him as "the guy we got for Hermida who doesn't suck."

7 IP, 3, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 Ks tonight.

on the year

99.1 IP, 98 H, 3.08 ERA, 30 BB, 99 Ks. 1.29 WHIP

A little bit old for Greensboro, but he seems moderately interesting this season.

Actually, that whole Greensboro starting staff has been pretty cool all year.
    Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 06-10-2011, 05:23 PM.
    poop

Yea he's been very cool all year. His numbers as a starter are even better than his overall numbers too. Would like to get a report on his stuff though.
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Saw his last start. Quick informal report I wrote last week --

Jose Alvarez - Gboro doesn't have a radar reading anymore, so I can't give a velocity report. I would guess he was sitting low 90s. A few times he surprised some hitters with the FB, and got them to swing behind the ball. He throws a slider that seemed average. He couldn't throw it for a strike, so hitters just stayed away. His changeup however, appeared to flash plus potential. He was pretty inconsistent with it, but at times he made a hitters look really dumb. When he was on, he was throwing it for strikes and out of the zone when he needed to. He cruised for awhile, but started to get hit around as the order came through on the second and third time. I think back-end rotation is his upside, and he could definitely get there.
      Christian Yelich
      LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
      12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
      100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
      .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

Out for the year as he's going to undergo Tommy John in the next few days.
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Good. Get it out of the way now.

Comment

He was likely going to be in the Suns rotation, but guess not.

Comment

That's pretty aggressive. I doubt that

Comment

He was in Jacksonville last year.
                poop

Comment

Where the hell was I?
                  --------------------
                  Oh I thought this was Jose Fernandez ehe
                  Last edited by Mainge; 03-15-2012, 08:48 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

lol. Silly Mainge.
                    --------------------
                    We got him from the Red Sox for Jeremy Hermida.
                    Last edited by Miamarlin21; 03-15-2012, 08:51 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Actually shoulder surgery

#marlins minor league lhp. Jose Alvarez had labrum surgery on shoulder on Tuesday done for season
                      https://twitter.com/#!/clarkspencer/...26896444243969

Comment

Yuck.
                        poop

Comment

Oops, misread it. Thanks Loco.

Comment

Have recovery rates improved at all in the past few years for pitchers with a torn labrum.

Comment

just threw his second straight complete game - encouraging to see for a guy who had shoulder surgery earlier this year

Jose Alvarez threw an eight-inning two-hitter to help the Jacksonville Suns finish off a five-game sweep of the Biscuits with a 4-0 win Tuesday.

Mark Thomas doubled with two outs in the third inning and Omar Luna singled to lead off the fifth for Montgomery.

Alvarez (5-6) walked none, hit Hak-Ju Lee with a pitch in the sixth and struck out five. Heavy rains ended the game in the middle of the eighth.

The left-hander recorded his second straight complete game. He gave up a run on five hits in eight innings in a 1-0 loss at Mobile last week. In his previous six professional seasons, Alvarez had just two complete games, both seven-inning shutouts in 2009 for short-season Lowell.
                              http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...-back-division
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                              X