Jammers Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jammers Update

A little bored and a lack of MiLB prospect discussion, brings me to this -- a quick update on the first 2 weeks of Jamestown results.

Baaaattttsss:
    It's only been about 10 games, but there have been some promising early results from some young guys out of the DSL as well as some 2010 draftees, specifically on the hitting side of things. Here's a brief rundown.

Ryan Fisher: 3B/1B/OF
    Fisher is a versatile and adequate defender at any corner spot on the field, that the Marlins found in the 15th round of this year's draft. 22 years old and a 3 year starter at UC Irvine, he should be able to handle NYPL pitching pretty well.. and he's doing just that. Through 10 games...

13/36 - 4 2B, 2 3B, 2 HR, 5 BB, 9 SO
    Slashes: .361/.477/.750/1.227

Nothing to get super amped about. He will probably start next year in Jupiter as most advanced college bats tend to begin their next year in High A. If he can continue this good performance in the FSL, the Fish might have found something.

James Wooster: OF
    The Marlins took 2 toolsy juco outfielders back to back in this years draft. Wooster was the first of the two, taken in the 12th round. He just turned 21 and has put in some decent results. Once again, there's not a lot to glean here since it's so early and in such a lower level.

8/27 - 1 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR, 4 BB, 6 SO, 1 SB
    Slashes: .296/.387/.593/.980

Aaron Senne: 1B
    A lot of scouts really believe, or at least, once believed in this bat. It's still super early on as Senne has only had 30 AB, but he is making some contact even though there is no power to speak of showing up in these few at bats.

8/30 - 1 2B, 3 BB, 2 SO, 1 SB
    Slashes: .267/.343/.300/.643

Marcell Ozuna: RF
    19 year old out of the Dominican turned a lot of heads last year in the GCL with a plus-plus arm in the outfield, and a heavy line-drive bat that extends some serious power potential. He is young and needs some serious work on his approach, but apparently he has a fantastic work ethic. The Fish ambitiously started him in Gboro this year, and he predictably struggled. He's starting to get on some prospect maps, and his Short Season campaign is doing nothing to deter that.

13/39 - 1 2B, 2 HR, 5 BB, 9 SO
    Slashes: .333/.409/.513/.922

Wilfredo Gimenez: C
    A 19 year old out of Venezula comes on the tail end of a teenage journey through the carribean leagues. He's pretty much a mystery except for his performance. I don't know anything about him, and I don't think many people do. Whatever the case, he is killing it in Jamestown right now. It might just be a two week hot streak, but any 19 year old catcher OPSing over 1.000 in the NYPL deserves some attention.

11/25 - 1 HR, 4 BB, 3 SO, 1 CS
    Slashes: .440/.517/.560/1.077

Noah Perio: SS
    One of my personal favorite unknowns in the Marlins system is Perio. The Marlins bought him out of the 39th round last year, and the 18 year old infield prospect boasts the ability to stay in the middle of the infield with an advanced hitting approach. Most scouts project Perio to hit for some power, along with high contact rates and a patient approach (somewhat similar to Coghlan's performance). No XBH yet, however he is young and you could say he is holding his own so far in Jamestown.

9/36 - 6 BB, 4 SO
    Slashes: .250/.357/.250/.607

There are some other interesting prospects (Diaz, Keys, Stonecipher) and some other interesting performances (Brantley, Hord, Poulk) but I'm tired. Here are some arms.

Arrrmmmmssss:
    There isn’t much to get excited about in the way of young electric arms in Jamestown this year as 09 was such a college heavy draft and the 2 viable prep arms we drafted are either in Greensboro (James) or on the DL (Berglund). However, it’s not completely dry. It should also be noted that Rett Varner (6th rounder from this year) who is 6'4" and throws 96 is signed on this roster, yet hasn't appeared in a game.

Josh Hodges: RHP
    Hodges has a big durable body (6’7”, 235) we drafted in the 7th round of last year’s draft out of a small Mississippi high school. So small, that it was in fact very difficult to scout him so the Marlins believe this was a guy flying under a lot of radars and could be a huge steal. He already sits 90-93, touching 95, so the arm is definitely there. He went to the mound 6 times last year between GCL and Jamestown, totaling 19.2 IP. In those innings, he allowed 20 H, 1 HR, 8 BB, and 20 SO. He’s had 2 starts so far this season and I don’t think a late season call up to Greensboro is out of the question at all. Definitely a guy to watch.

11.0 IP, 1.64 ERA, .237 BAA, 1.40 GO/AO, 9 H (0 HR), 4 BB, 6 SO

It should be noted he had a great first outing (6.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 SO)

Luis Chirinos: RHP
    20 year old out of Venezuela who came up through the DSL. I don’t know anything about him truthfully but he’s marginally youthful and performing, so I suppose it’s worth posting an alert about him. I’ll see if I can send some stuff out on Chirinos to see if anyone knows anything about him, but I’m guessing it’s not worth it.

10.2 IP, 9 H, 4 R (1 earned), 3 BB, 9 SO), 1.44 GO/AO

Kenneth Toves: LHP
    20 year old, 21st rounder from this year’s draft. Good body at 6’3”, 180, and he’s produced some good early results. Don’t know much about him except that he’s a sinker baller and gets a ton of ground balls. I suppose that’s worth mentioning.

6.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 earned), 2 BB, 5 SO

And here are some old guys who are performing:
    Jordan Conley: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 SO (23, almost 24)
    Michael Brady: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 5 SO (23 years old)
    Isaac Morales: 10 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 earned), 4 BB, 16 SO (pretty dominating numbers, but 23 years old. Also threw 10 good innings in Jupiter this year, so not sure why he’s here)

I'll do a GCL update soon. It's going to suck though. Barely anything interesting happening down there.
    Last edited by Bucklin12; 06-29-2010, 09:39 AM.
    Christian Yelich
    LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
    12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
    100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
    .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Good stuff.

Ozuna is the biggest name out the group. Hopefully he'll turn out to be pretty good.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Edited the original post with some information about some pitching performance in Jamestown.
      Christian Yelich
      12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836

Last 10 Games:
      .394/.512/.697/1.155

Comment

Ozuna really didn't struggle in Gboro,he broke his wrist which kept him out like 5 weeks.

Comment

You are right, in that is the reason he's not in Gboro anymore. But he was also overmatched in 25 short AB, which is a crazy small sample size, but I would still classify those 25 AB a struggle.
          Christian Yelich
          12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836

Last 10 Games:
          .394/.512/.697/1.155

Comment

Wilfredo Gimenez hit his 2nd homer of the season last night doubling his homer output from last season. His k/bb is 4:3. If the power shows up this season he'll certainly overtake Skip as the catcher of the future if he already hasn't.
            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

29 AB does not a catching prospect make. He certainly hasn't taken over Skip's label as catcher of the future with a few weeks in Jamestown, but it is definitely encouraging to see a catching spec in the lower minors producing.
              --------------------
              The FO obviously thinks there is something there though, or he wouldn't be in Jamestown. The only guys in Jamestown that are 19 years old or younger are Josh Hodges, Noah Perio, Marcell Ozuna, and Gimenez. The first 3 are all legitimate prospects, so it appears that someone thinks he belongs in that group.
              Last edited by Bucklin12; 07-01-2010, 09:09 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              Christian Yelich
              12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836

Last 10 Games:
              .394/.512/.697/1.155

Comment

Originally posted by Bucklin12 View Post
                29 AB does not a catching prospect make. He certainly hasn't taken over Skip's label as catcher of the future with a few weeks in Jamestown, but it is definitely encouraging to see a catching spec in the lower minors producing.
                --------------------
                The FO obviously thinks there is something there though, or he wouldn't be in Jamestown. The only guys in Jamestown that are 19 years old or younger are Josh Hodges, Noah Perio, Marcell Ozuna, and Gimenez. The first 3 are all legitimate prospects, so it appears that someone thinks he belongs in that group.
                Not over 29 abs. He's had 315 abs the last 2 seasons and he's posted more walks than strike outs. His ability to not strike out and be able to draw the walk has been there. The question has been the power and whether it would show up. If it does show up he's definitely going to be on the radar.
                "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                  Not over 29 abs. He's had 315 abs the last 2 seasons and he's posted more walks than strike outs. His ability to not strike out and be able to draw the walk has been there. The question has been the power and whether it would show up. If it does show up he's definitely going to be on the radar.
                  Yes. I know he has more than 29 ABs, and his numbers in the complex leagues support the foundation he is building, but this is the first attention he is getting. While the jump from the complex league to the NYPL is a very significant jump, he's not bumping Skip with a few spectacular weeks in Jamestown.
                  Christian Yelich
                  12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836

Last 10 Games:
                  .394/.512/.697/1.155

Comment

Working...
                  X