X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lo Mo, Martinez to 2010 Futures Game

By Jim Frisaro / MLB.com

06/22/10 8:44 PM ET

BALTIMORE -- The future just got a little brighter for Marlins prospects Logan Morrison and Ozzie Martinez.

Major League Baseball announced on Tuesday the rosters for the XM All-Star Futures Game to be played on July 11 in Anaheim.

Morrison and Martinez were selected to represent the Marlins.

A left-handed-hitting first baseman/left fielder, Morrison will be on the USA squad. Martinez, a shortstop and native of Puerto Rico, will be on the World roster.

Both players were in Spring Training with the Marlins. Morrison, 22, entered camp competing with Gaby Sanchez for the first-base job.

"Good for him," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "For me, he is really close to playing up here."

A 6-foot-3, 235-pounder, Morrison was the 25th-ranked prospect in the game, according to MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo's Top 50 Prospects that was announced in January on the MLB Network.

At Triple-A New Orleans, Morrison is batting .326 with four home runs and 27 RBIs. He has a .417 on-base percentage and a .958 OPS.

Martinez, meanwhile, is a 22-year-old who has enjoyed a standout season at Double-A Jacksonville. He's batting .311 with a .407 on-base percentage and 52 runs scored through 68 games.

"Ozzie has had a great first half," Gonzalez said. "We saw him a bit in Spring Training. We knew he could field, but his offensive numbers have really picked up."

The 12th annual Futures Game can be seen live on MLB.TV, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD and followed live on MLB.com's Gameday. In addition, XM Radio will broadcast play-by-play coverage of the event live on XM 175. MLB.com will also provide complete coverage before, during and after the game.
    Good stuff
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

They should sell high on Martinez. Or buy with him. I'm not really a believer.
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
      They should sell high on Martinez. Or buy with him. I'm not really a believer.
      We do not have much infield depth at all. Add him to the 40 this off-season (Pretty sure he's eligible and have him in New Orleans next year for back up)
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I'm a believer that he could turn into a solid utility infielder. The patience seems real (walk rate has steadily increased throughout his career), although he probably won't maintain that good of a K/BB as he moves up. He's also hitting the ball in the air more this year, which is probably why his BABIP and average have gone up.

If he can play all over the infield and maybe even CF, he could be a nice asset off the bench. But that's probably about it.

Comment

Both are starting. Martinez hitting 2nd at SS for the World. Morrison hitting 8th at 1B for USA.

Morrison just led off the 2nd with a single. Martinez is 0/1

Comment

Martinez is so Hanley without the talent. Does Morrison translate as a Mark Grace type of hitter, .300 average, 10-15 HR's?

Comment

Not verbatim:

"He's a 3 true outcome guy, meaning he strikes out a lot, hits for average, and hits for power"

One of these things is not like the others

Comment

Heh. Yeah, I caught that. It was bad.
                poop

Comment

why don't you answer me on aim

Comment

I am not at my computadora.

Lemme fire up aim on the phone.
                    poop

Comment

Lomo got robbed. Great ab though.
                      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Perkin also liked what he saw out of Marlins infielder Ozzie Martinez, whose setup in the box and swing evoke Orlando Cabrera. Martinez lived up to his reputation with some flash while fielding grounders after his BP session was done.
                        http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=9479
                        Christian Yelich
                        LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
                        12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
                        100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
                        .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

Working...
                        X