Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round 50 | Daniel Carney | 1B | Notre Dame HS (PA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 50 | Daniel Carney | 1B | Notre Dame HS (PA)

Another small HS 1B to close out the draft,Let's hope this one doesn't need roids like last year's
    --------------------
    http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...1/LIVING100401
    Last edited by tjfla; 06-09-2010, 04:38 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

5'10" 170
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Dan Carney knew of the interest but wasn't sure what would come of it. He got his answer Wednesday.

The Florida Marlins selected Carney, a standout catcher at Notre Dame of East Stroudsburg High School, in the 50th round of the Major League Baseball draft.

Carney was the 1,517th pick, one spot ahead of former Notre Dame wide receiver and All-American Golden Tate, picked by San Francisco Giants. He had known the Marlins were interested and found out how much when they called with the good news on the final day of the three-day draft.

"I knew the possibility was definitely there, but at the same time I knew my chances weren't the highest," said Carney, who also had been in contact with the Baltimore Orioles. "When the later rounds came through it really meant a lot."

Now comes the hard part.

Carney has been accepted at Holy Cross, where he intended to walk on the baseball team. He'll have to weigh that option against signing with Florida.

"I'm excited for college, but at the same time I'm excited that I just got drafted," said Carney. "I don't really know what to think and I'm going to have to do a lot of talking over with my parents (Dan and Anne Marie Carney)."

Carney had a stellar senior season for the Spartans.

In helping lead Notre Dame reach the District 11 Class A championship game, Carney hit .536 with five doubles, two triples, six home runs and 40 RBIs. Now he can add being a MLB draft pick to that impressive résumé.

"It was a bit overwhelming at first," Carney said. "It still hasn't sank in, but there's still a lot of work to be done and I'm excited to get going."
      http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...321/-1/NEWSMAP
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Dan Carney played on three varsity teams at Notre Dame-East Stroudsburg High School. Needless to say, he never had to worry about being picked last.

But when the Florida Marlins drafted the catcher with one of the final 10 picks of the MLB draft Wednesday, the late selection was cause for joy rather than disappointment in his family.

"We are really excited," said his father, also Dan Carney. "It's a great honor, especially for him."

The Marlins nabbed the 18-year-old senior with the 1,517th pick in the 50th and final round. As a senior, he batted .536 with six home runs and 40 RBIs.

Now, Carney has to decide between signing with the franchise and attending College of the Holy Cross in Worchester, Mass. A member of the Patriot League, Holy Cross does not give out athletic scholarships, but Carney would most likely walk on — and play — at the school.

His family awaits the paperwork, which should arrive before week's end, before it chooses. Carney has until Aug. 15 to respond.

Carney is a top student at Notre Dame and an accomplished violinist.

"I don't think there's anything [Dan] can't do," his father said. "He's a great role model."
        http://www.mcall.com/sports/varsity/...,7317157.story

Comment

I consider a draft where you only select 10 prep players, and 4 of those 10 are in the last 10 rounds and unlikely to sign, an epic fail as far as logistics and common sense goes.
          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
          Noah Perio
          Jupiter
          39 AB
          15 H
          0 2B
          0 3B
          0 HR
          0 BB
          .385/.385/.385

Comment

This is what i hate about people talking about draft. 90% of the discussion come from people who never heard of these guys, and just make a knee-jerk opinion base on whether he came from college or HS. Just because a draftee comes from college, doesn't mean he less of a prospect than a HS draftee.
            Originally posted by Matt Wilson
            Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
            Tom Koehler(4-0)
            AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

After the 10 rounds, to me, the college players are only going to be so so and the prep players have upside. I mean, hell, last year like 20 of the guys the Fish drafted were college seniors who were already 23, 24, or 25. How does that really help the organization?
              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
              X