Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 46 | Daniel Johnston | OF | Canada (Calif.) JC

Discuss

Daniel Johnston (M-A, Canada), who could be drafted in the top 10 rounds of the Major League entry draft, capped the scoring with a RBI single in the bottom of the fourth.
    http://www.mercurynews.com/peninsula...nclick_check=1

that was posted YESTERDAY. either they're delusional or there are serious signability issues
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

M-A's Johnston drafted by Marlins, Paly's Schmarzo to the Orioles

Daniel Johnston slugged his way through his senior year at Menlo-Atherton High knowing he would need shoulder surgery after the baseball season.
      Alex Schmarzo never even took the mound for Palo Alto High his senior year after arm surgery following a spectacular campaign as a junior.
      Back in top form after spending time in college, both were selected Wednesday on Day 3 of the Major League Baseball draft.
      "It feels good," said Johnston, 20, who excelled the past two years at Canada College and signed to play at University of the Pacific in the fall before being drafted in the 46th round by the Florida Marlins. "At least I'm on the board, so it should open up some doors for next year if I choose not to go."
      Schmarzo, 21, just completed his junior year at St. Mary's, where he not only got healthy but also turned himself from a 90-plus mph fireballer into a 6-foot-3, 205-pound right-hander with a curveball and a change-up.
      "I just think it's a matter of being more savvy and being around the game a little bit longer," said Schmarzo, who was taken in the 48th round by the Baltimore Orioles.
      This summer the Paly grad is back with the Green Bay Bullfrogs of the Northwoods Collegiate League. The day before the draft, Schmarzo broke his pinkie and told teams about the injury — adding drama to whether or not his name would be called at all.
      "I was in the shower when the area scouting director for the Orioles called
      Advertisement

me," Schmarzo said. "It means they have my signing rights for a certain amount of time, but it also means that the team believes in me. For me, it's just a vote of confidence and it makes me want to be a part of that organization."
      After the cast comes off this summer and Schmarzo returns to the mound, the Orioles will send representatives to see him pitch prior to negotiations.
      "As long as everything is back in working order, they'll probably look at a number and signing me out of Green Bay," Schmarzo said.
      Johnston spoke with roughly half the teams in the major leagues and talk prior to the draft had the first baseman possibly going in the top 10 rounds.
      After Day 2 went and his name was not called, Johnston stopped listening to the draft.
      "I got a text message from one of my friends that said, 'There he is,' so I was wondering what that meant," said Johnston, who by the time he figured out he was drafted got a call from the Marlins scout.

Johnston went 1-for-3 with a walk and a steal for the Menlo Park Legends on Wednesday afternoon, where he's been showing his versatility by playing center field.
      "I love running around," Johnston said.
      He's leaning toward college next year in an effort to improve his draft status and continue his education — but nothing is final, yet.
      "It's a little too early to decide," Johnston said. "The Marlins haven't given me a dollar amount of yet. My parents really want me to go to school, my dad especially."

Either way, Johnston is on the board, just like Schmarzo.
      http://www.mercurynews.com/peninsula...nclick_check=1

Comment

His summer league stats thus far. Hasn't played in awhile so it's very possible he has signed an over slot contract and the Marlins are just waiting for the August deadline to announce it (Could also be injured)

http://leaguelineup.com/player_baseb...ayerid=5983514

Comment

Working...
        X