• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 39 | Sam Bates | 1B | Crowder College | WILL NOT SIGN

Discuss
    --------------------
    committed to Arkansas

Two years ago when he graduated high school, Sam Bates wanted to play baseball at Arkansas. That wasn’t an option though, so he trekked from his Cabot, Ark., hometown to Neosho to play for Crowder College.

In two years for the Roughriders, Bates has been synonymous with hitting the ball very well. His hitting got him noticed — he was a All-Region XVI player last year — and top colleges noticed.
    Including Arkansas.

So, when the Razorbacks offered, it was a quick answer.

“I was getting looks from other schools,” Bates said. “New Mexico had a good offer to me. When Arkansas offered it is where I always wanted to go so I jumped on it.

“I’m an Arkansas boy from Central Arkansas and I got a good vibe about things there. They said they needed guys to come in and replace some hitters they are losing. It’s a great opportunity for me to further my education and play baseball.”

Bates was recruited to Arkansas — the No. 10 ranked team in the latest NCAA Division I poll — by Todd Butler, the hitting coach and recruiting coordinator.

Bates, 20, was also recruited by New Mexico, Arkansas State, Arkansas-Little Rock and UAB.
    He will mainly be a first baseman for the Razorbacks, but has experience in the outfield in his time at Crowder.

“Being at Crowder definitely helped me get this opportunity,” Bates said.

Bates, the son of Sammy and Jennifer Bates, will be a business major at Arkansas.
    In two years at Crowder, Bates has put up impressive numbers and he isn’t done yet as the Region XVI Tournament starts Wednesday.

As a freshman, Bates hit .359 with 12 doubles, two triples, five home runs and 54 RBI. His numbers have increased in every category this year.

He is third on the team this spring with a .418 average. Only Koby Peebles (.473) and Kyle Hardy (.430) have a higher average.

Bates has 18 doubles, four triples, a team-high 11 home runs and 52 RBI.

The combined 106 RBI has him around 30 RBI behind Bubby Williams for the career Crowder record.

“He has been an every day guy for two years. He has been a fixture in the middle of our lineup and a big RBI guy,” Crowder coach Travis Lallemand said. “I’m happy that he gets the opportunity. This is where he wanted to go from the start.”
    http://www.neoshodailynews.com/sport...ts-to-Arkansas
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-09-2010, 01:23 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Sam Bates
    It was long known the Marlins had interest in Bates, and in the 39th round Bates was taken by the two-time World Series champions.

The Arkansas signee was on his way from his hometown of Cabot, Ark., to El Dorado, Kan., to start his summer baseball season when he got the call from Florida scout Steve Taylor.

“I am definitely committed to Arkansas, but will see the contract they send me just to see what I think,” Bates said. “I will look it over and make a decision.”

It didn’t take long for his teammates and friends to get in touch.

“It is pretty exciting to get drafted,” Bates said. “I probably had 10 people call me right off the bat. It is really good to be drafted. We had a good season and I think going to the World Series helped our (the drafted trio) credentials. I got to thank all the coaching staff for this.”
    http://www.neoshodailynews.com/sport...d-in-MLB-draft

Comment

Post-series work begins at Crowder
      By Anvil Welch
      Globe Sports Writer

NEOSHO, Mo. — “It’s a tough, busy time,” Crowder College baseball coach Travis Lallemand said on Tuesday.

That’s even more true after the Roughriders’ first appearance in the NJCAA Division I World Series at Grand Junction, Colo.

“We’re trying to avoid being ‘picked,’ ” Lallemand said.

Several NCAA Division I schools, of course, are trying to replenish rosters after the recent major league amateur free agent draft.

Then there’s the waiting involving right-handed pitcher Ben Wells out of Bryant, Ark.

Wells, a 6-foot-3, 220-pounder, has signed letters of intent with Crowder — on Jan. 23 — and recently with national power Arkansas, according to Neosho Daily News sports editor Cody Thorn. He also was drafted on the seventh round by the Cubs.

Lallemand believes the trio of veteran Roughriders chosen in the draft are headed for college.

They are third baseman Kyle Hardy (31st round, Giants/Missouri State), right-handed pitcher Dan Kickham (37th round, Rockies/MSU) and first baseman Sam Bates (39th round, Marlins/Arkansas).

Kickham’s twin, MSU’s Mike (who hurled for Crowder as a freshman), was selected by the Giants on the sixth round.

“I don’t believe any of the three will sign,” Lallemand said. “Bates might be a possibility at the end of the summer. The Marlins really, really like him.”

Lallemand said the 14 Crowder sophomores, if they want, will continue playing baseball. At least one veteran, he said, will concentrate on studies.

“They all haven’t made decisions on which school they will attend,” he said.

Lallemand said that the left-handed swinging Bates, from Cabot, Ark., and Tim Bado, a freshman left-handed pitcher from Eden Prairie, Minn., were the all-Region 16 selections for Crowder (43-24).

Bates averaged .424 with 21 doubles, 4 triples, 14 homers and 63 RBI. Bado was 9-3 with a 3.25 ERA and 67 strikeouts and 16 walks in 72 innings.

Crowder finished 1-2 at Grand Junction with its losses to eventual champion Iowa Western of Council Bluffs.

“I’m not disappointed in any of our kids,” Lallemand said. “But we didn’t play well on defense. We made some back-on-our-heels mistakes. We regressed. We need to take a look at that in the fall.

“There was no doubt about the talent (at Grand Junction),” Lallemand said. “It was amazing at that level. I believe San Jacinto (Texas) and College of Nevada combined to have 20 players drafted.

“Iowa Western was such a quality team,” Lallemand said. “They had nine kids in that lineup on offense able to bunt, hit-and-run and get the job done. Their pitchers threw strikes, they made consistent, solid contact at the plate and they didn’t make errors.

“Iowa Western was fun to watch ... even if they did beat us a couple of times,” Lallemand said.
      http://www.joplinglobe.com/sports/x1...ins-at-Crowder

Comment

Bates drafted by Marlins, commits to Razorbacks

By Mark Buffalo \ Sports Editor \ sports@cabostarherald.com
        Friday, June 18, 2010 2:00 PM CDT

Former Cabot baseball player Sam Bates was drafted by the Florida Marlins in the 39th round of the Major League Baseball draft last week. Bates has also committed to play for the Arkansas Razorbacks next season. (mark buffalo) Former Cabot Panthers baseball player Sam Bates has plenty of options after completing a stellar two-year career at Crowder Community College in Neosho, Mo.

Bates, who helped his team to the NJCAA College World Series, committed to play for the University of Arkansas in May. He also was drafted by the Florida Marlins in the 39th round during its first-year player draft last week.

“I don’t even know yet,” Bates said Thursday when talking about what he will do next season. “My contract is going to get here [this week]. I’ll go over that. I’m leaning more toward going to college because I want to develop more and get drafted [higher] down the road.”

Bates currently is playing in the Jayhawk Baseball League in Kansas.

“I got the call while I was on the interstate,” Bates said of hearing he was drafted. “It was pretty awesome. It was something I always wanted to do and possibly play in the pros.”

Bates said he also is excited about the opportunity to play for the Razorbacks, which lost to Arizona State in the Super Regional on Saturday and Sunday.

I’ll get to play in front of my home state and represent my home state and help them get to the College World Series,” Bates said. “That is one of my biggest goals — get to the College World Series. I like all the coaches. I felt a good vibe, so that is why I wanted to go there and play.”

Cabot Panthers coach Jay Fitch said he was happy for Bates.

“He was one that you knew was a tremendous athlete,” Fitch said. “As far as hitters, they [pro scouts, college coaches] love those big kids. He’s still got some room to get a little stronger. We knew the possibility to get drafted was there if he stayed healthy. He got up there and was focusing on baseball for the first time. There is no telling what he will be able to do.”

Crowder played in the NJCAA College World Series in Colorado. The Roughriders went 1-2 in the tournament.

“They treat you so well down there,” Bates said. “It was everything they said it was supposed to be. There was a lot of media exposure. The scenery was beautiful out there. The competition was great out there.”

During his sophomore year at Crowder, Bates was named All-American while hitting .432 with 13 home runs and 60 runs batted in. He had 20 doubles and four triples while playing in 62 games.

Bates said his ultimate goal is to play major league baseball.

“I’ve got to keep that goal and work hard to maybe attain it someday,” he said. “I think going to college might help me get drafted a little bit higher and work on a few things.”
        http://www.lonokedemocrat.com/articl...orts/spt01.txt

SPORTS >> Major league player
        Former Cabot Panther Sam Bates drafted to Florida Marlins

Story by Todd Traub
        Leader sports editor

Sam Bates had already earned the honor of being Cabot’s first baseball player to sign with the Razorbacks.

Now he is Cabot’s first Major League draft pick.

The Florida Marlins took Bates, a slugging first baseman at Crowder Community College, in the 39th round of the amateur draft Tuesday. Bates signed with Arkansas in the spring and now has the option of playing professional baseball instead.

“For us around here it’s kind of a rarity,” said Andy Runyan, who assists Cabot High School head coach Jay Fitch and coaches in the city’s American Legion program.

“Baseball tradition is not what Cabot is known for and Jay and I are just grinning from ear to ear,” Runyan said.

It has been a hectic time for Bates, who is coming off a trip to the National Junior College Athletic Association World Series with Crowder, located in Neosho, Mo. Bates did not immediately return a message left on his cell phone Friday because he was on his way to El Dorado, Kan., which plays in the collegiate summer wood-bat league and won the National Baseball Congress national championship last year.

The Crowder Roughriders went 1-2 in the NJCAA World Series, losing twice to eventual champion Iowa Western Community College and beating Alabama’s Faulkner State Community College 19-18.

Runyan said Bates may have helped his draft status with a wood-bat home run during the series.

“He wore it out this year, he hit over .400 his second year in a row,” Runyan said.
        Bates hit .432 in the regular season and led the Roughriders in hits (82), doubles (20) and was second in home runs (13) and RBI (60).

Bates, a 6-4, left-handed power hitter, played third base and shortstop for Cabot then moved to first and the corner outfield spots at Crowder.

“He probably got into a defensive position that was more suited for him in college,” said Runyan, who coached Bates in American Legion.

Bates was a three-time all-conference selection for Cabot High School and had already provided his former coaches with a thrill when he became the first of Fitch’s former players to sign with the Hogs.

“He’s going to end up with better money and a better position,” Runyan said.
        Now Bates has to decide if he wants to play for Arkansas, his long-time dream, for at least a season and possibly improve his status in next year’s draft or take the plunge into professional baseball with the Marlins now.

If Bates signs with the Marlins he would likely be sent to a short-season minor league team and begin his pro career later this month.

Otherwise Bates will report to Arkansas in the fall.

A good year with a high-profile program like Arkansas, which is competing in the NCAA Super Regional in Tempe, Ariz., this weekend, could get Bates drafted in an earlier round next June.

The Razorbacks had seven players selected this year, plus a handful of signees like Bates.

“I’m not sure what he’s thinking right now,” Runyan said. “He’s an outstanding student. He’s communicated to us he’s dreamed about being a Razorback since he was a kid.
        http://arkansasleader.blogspot.com/2...ue-player.html
        Last edited by LocoMarlinFan; 06-19-2010, 01:45 AM.

Comment

His summer league stats thus far look pretty good. He's not likely to sign but as mentioned previously the Marlins love him.

http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/...8&seasonid=362

Comment

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Words Bryant graduate Ben Wells should carefully take to heart, according to Jay Darr, a Glen Rose alum and a former third round draft pick by the San Diego Padres. Not knowing Wells personally, Darr shelled out the same advice he had for some other high school players.
            “My advice is if the money [they are offering] is border line and it doesn’t make you just jump at the opportunity, then go to college,” Darr said.
            “In college, you will have time to grow mentally and physically, which is so valuable.”
            Wells, a 2010 graduate of Bryant High School, was chosen in the June Major League Draft in the seventh round by the Chicago Cubs. He threw a perfect game and was the Most Valuable Player in the Arkansas 7A State Baseball Championship game against Van Buren in May.
            Wells has scholarship offers for Arkansas and Crowder Junior College in Missouri. If he chooses to play with the Razorbacks, he will have to wait three years before being eligible for pro baseball.
            Arkansas was swept by Arizona State in the Tempe Super Regionals after losing the second game 7-5 in 12 innings.
            Wells threw 82 innings in the spring and almost 30 more in the summer with the Bryant Black Sox before he stopped.
            “Looking back on my situation, if I had known I would be done [with pro baseball] in four years, I would have gone to college,” Darr said.
            Darr is a 1997 graduate of Glen Rose High School and played in the San Diego Padres organization from 1997 to 2000.
            After graduating high school, Darr had the choice of attending schools such as Arkansas, Oklahoma State or Memphis. Darr eventually signed with Memphis because they promised a full-ride scholarship while Arkansas only offered about 45 percent.
            “If I could do it over again, I would go to college in a heart beat,” Darr said. “But [Wells] has to make the decision that feels right to him.”
            Darr knew of two outfielders from Cabot High School, Drew Burks and Sam Bates, who faced the dilemma of either playing in college or trying to go pro. Burks is currently at Coffeyville Comunity College while Bates plays for Crowder.
            Bates was drafted by the Florida Marlins in 39th round but decided to attend college instead by transferring to the University of Arkansas in the fall to play baseball.
            “I think [Bates] wanted to play college baseball,” Darr said. “The fact that he is able to play for his home state makes it more the while.”

If Wells signs with Chicago by Aug. 16 then he will either play rookie ball in Phoenix or Tucson, Ariz.
            “One thing Wells needs to understand, if he decides to play in these rookie leagues, he will playing in about 120 degree heat and in front of no fans,” Darr said. “It’s like you’re playing high school baseball with better facilities.
            “You won’t see a lot of fans until you get in Double-AA and you will have to be at the ball park at 7 a.m. every day. But that’s the dedication you have to have if you ever want to play professionally.”
            This summer, Darr was the head coach of the Cabot Senior Legion baseball team that was eliminated from the Senior Legion State Tournament by Benton Tuesday night.
            “Pitchers take a little bit longer to develop than positional players and therefore usually spend a little more time in the minors,” Darr said.
            Darr will be coaching football and baseball at North Pulaski this year after earning his degree at UALR.
            “[Wells] is very talented and I wish him all the best,” Darr said.
            http://www.bentoncourier.com/content/view/223986/33/

He ain't gonna sign. But that ain't a surprise. Sign Yelich, then give me 2 of LeBlanc, Ard, Crawford, Abbott, or Johnston and you will please me.
            Christian Yelich
            LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
            12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
            100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
            .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

Working...
            X