• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 35 | Taylor Ard | IF | Mt. Hood CC

discuss
    --------------------
    from june 2009:

Based on first impressions, the word “humble” or even “humble giant” would seem to perfectly define MHCC freshman baseball star Taylor Ard.

Ard, the 2009 Southern Region and NWAACC player of the year, has had nothing but success this season for the Saints. Ard ended the season with a school record in batting average (.490), surpassing a 28-year-old record set by hitting coach Darold Ellison, who batted .480 in 1980. Ard hit for a high average but he also hit 12 homeruns and drove in 49 runners to lead the Saints powerful offense and all of NWAACCs.

Ellison recently joked with Ard, saying, “Back when I set the record, I did it with a metal bats. What you’re doing with a wood bat is ridiculous.”

Ard said he never set his sights on records. “My goal coming into the season was to get as many hits as possible to help our team win games. I was never chasing records.” Looking at his team’s record and all of the records he broke this season, he added, “I’m happy to see that all the hard work paid off.”

Success hasn’t always paid off for Ard, who attended Prairie High School in Vancouver, Wash. He was a three-time letter winner for the Falcons and a three-time first team all-league player. He was honorable mention in the state as a sophomore and second team all state in his junior and senior seasons.

But, he said with a bit of frustration, “I wasn’t receiving Division-I offers.

“All the offers were walk-on invitations. And everyone knows how teams treat walk-ons. They treat scholarship guys much better.”

After leading the state in homeruns (11) his senior season, Ard decided to come to Mt. Hood Community College.

“I think it was a good decision in coming here,” he said. “They move a lot of guys on to Division-I schools and that was really the big reason I came here. Plus other teams weren’t really interested in me.”

Now, after a record-breaking season, schools have come crawling to Ard. The same schools that once second-guessed his ability after his senior season —including the University of Oregon, Oregon State, University of Washington, Washington State and the University of Portland — have shown a recent interest in Ard’s game.

“My number one choice is Oregon State,” said Ard. “It’s one of the top programs in the nation. It’s pretty funny — all of the schools that passed up on me last year are coming back after me this year.”

Ard received a phone call Wednesday from Oregon State’s Head Coach Pat Casey to discuss Ard’s baseball future as a student-athlete.

“He thought I would be a good addition to their team,” Ard said. “He mentioned that they needed power in the lineup. Usually in the past, assistant coaches called me but this time it was different.”

Ard, not sure of his next move, is being optimistic and plans to have a decision made soon. He has filled out four major league baseball surveys — with the Florida Marlins, Tampa Bay Rays, Houston Astros and the Oakland Athletics — and hopes some day he gets a chance to make it to the Big Show. The 2009 draft is set for June 9-11.

If Ard decides to transfer to a four-year college, he will have to wait until his junior season or until he is 21 years old to go professional, a rule set by Major League Baseball.

“Based on offers, I would go pro if I was guaranteed $100,000,” said Ard. “I’ve heard that if I get drafted I will go in the late rounds, so I’m probably not going to go (pro) during this year’s draft. After talking with scouts, they think it’s smart for me to move on to a four-year college. To be honest, I am not really thinking about the draft”

Ard said he never thought that in one season with the Saints he would put up the numbers he did and win the highest honors in the NWAACC.

“I always set high expectations for myself,” said Ard, “but I never imagined I was going to do this well. Working with Dog (Ellison) helped me a lot. He helped me with my posture at the plate and getting my hands in the right spot for every at bat.”

During his phone conversation with Casey, the OSU coach talked about Ard’s successful season and the MHCC star replied, “I always have room for improvement.” Casey told Ard that he seemed “really humble” with a response like that.

Asked about his leadership on the field for the Saints this season, Ard said it was all reflected in his playing ability.

“I don’t try to take a leadership role,” he said. “I believe everyone is self-motivated. I just led by example and hopefully that helped motivate our players.”

Note: Ard was honored Tuesday night at the MHCC Sports Banquet in the Visual Arts Theater as male athlete of the year.
    http://www.advocate-online.net/60509/TaylorArd.php
    --------------------
    apparently he signed with Oregon State, then in September:

Taylor Ard, the leading power hitter in the West Coast League this summer while playing for the Corvallis Knights, will not attend Oregon State this fall as was anticipated, a source close to the program said Thursday. No reason for Ard's change of heart was given.

He instead will return to Mt. Hood Community College for his sophomore year. A 6-foot-2, 225-pound first baseman from Vancouver, Wash., Ard was the NWAACC Player of the Year for the Saints, and then hit .359, with a team-high five homers and 40 RBIs, for the Knights despite missing nearly three weeks of the season with a sprained ankle.
    http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/a...cc4c002e0.html
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-09-2010, 12:31 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

First baseman Ard hit .496/.581/.848 with wood last year and was the Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges player of the year, but he didn't get drafted. Then he went out and batted .387/.489/.595 in 111 at-bats in the West Coast Collegiate League, winning the league batting title and ranking as the league's No. 3 prospect. He played for the Corvallis club in the West Coast League and then committed to Oregon State, but he decided not to enroll and returned to Mount Hood. He got just six at-bats this spring after breaking the hamate bone in his left wrist during preseason batting practice. Ard's raw power is his calling card, grading out as well-above-average for some scouts. Some said a few balls he hit last summer traveled nearly 500 feet. His overall hitting rates as fringe-average. The 6-foot-2, 225-pound Ard has a baby face and is still maturing. A team that liked him last summer could try to make up for last year and sign him away from Washington State, his new commitment.
    BA

I really hope we sign this guy especially if it only takes 100,000

Comment

Taylor Ard, a 2008 graduate of Prairie High School, was selected Wednesday by the Florida Marlins in Major League Baseball’s First-Year Player Draft.

Ard was taken in the 34th round, the 1,067th overall pick.

Ard’s draft stock dropped after he missed most of the 2010 season with a broken bone in his hand. The first baseman was limited to six at bats for Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham this season.

Prior to the season, he was ranked by Baseball America as one of the best junior college players in the country. He was projected then to be selected in the first five rounds. Ard has a scholarship from Washington State University.
      http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/j...ed-by-marlins/
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Currently playing in the Cape Cod League:

Stats http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/...8&seasonid=239

Comment

On first baseman Taylor Ard (.260/.317/.370, 1 HR, 9 RBI in 73 AB), who is transferring from a junior college to Washington State: "Physical kid, has a fairly advanced approach to hitting, and put an aluminum bat in his hands next spring he'll be lethal. He's athletic around the bag, he came out here and really held himself well. Advanced appraoch to hitting, can hit to all fields, and he's got raw power.
          http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/college/?p=3870

Comment

Working...
          X