• Show
Clear All

• Round 15 | Ryan Fisher | LF | UC Irvine | SIGNED

Discuss
    Sanchez life

Anteater pride.

Comment

Championship!
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

12 BB and 30 K in 147 PA = 20 K % = major meh

and .177 ISO

Comment

6'3" 195
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Ryan Fisher’s decision is made.

The 2006 graduate of East Union High will forgo his senior year at UC Irvine
            and pursue his lifelong dream after being drafted in the 15th round of the Major League Baseball first-year player draft Tuesday.

“Oh yeah,” he said. “It’s for sure — 100 percent.”

Fisher was selected 467th overall by the Florida Marlins — much higher than he expected going into the first day of the draft Monday.

“I didn’t think I’d get drafted that high,” he said. “I talked to a scout from the Marlins a few times, and he said he really liked me. I thought maybe anywhere between the 20th and 25th (rounds), so when I found out I got drafted in the 15th I was really excited.”

Fisher is listed as an outfielder and infielder for UC Irvine, but he said he could see most of his time at second base with the Marlins farm system. He wasn’t clear on the specifics, like when and where he is supposed to report, but he’ll find out more today.

East Union has had four alumni drafted since 2004.

Shortstop Jack Arroyo, who led the Lancers to their only Sac-Joaquin Section championship in 1998, was drafted out of Sacramento State by the Seattle Mariners in the 18th round of the 2004 draft

His brother, Spencer, a 2006 classmate and good friend of Fisher’s, was selected in the 31st round by the Phillies in 2008 after two standout seasons as a pitcher with Modesto Junior College. Spencer signed to play for Cal before opting to go pro.

And in 2007, Justin Friend, a 2004 graduate and Oklahoma State relief pitcher, was chosen by the Oakland Athletics in the 13th round.

“It’s pretty neat to say that you’re one of them,” Fisher said. “I know Justin Friend, and Spencer is one of my best friends. Now it’s my turn to be there.”

Fisher was previously undrafted, but hard work and perseverance made scouts notice. He transformed himself from a lanky high school athlete with a sweet and powerful left-handed swing to a 6-foot, 3-inch, 200-pound force in the batter’s box.

He wrapped up his redshirt junior season with a .308 average, four homers, 11 doubles and 20 RBIs in 47 games (38 starts). UC Irvine went 39-21 and had its season end Monday with a 6-2 loss to UCLA in the NCAA Los Angeles Regional. Fisher is one of six Anteaters to be picked in the second day of the draft.

In 2009, Fisher helped UC Irvine claim the Big West Conference championship with a 22-2 record (46-15 overall). He hit .320 with four home runs and 28 RBIs in 49 appearances.

Fisher proved himself in his redshirt freshman year, hitting at a .301 clip with three jacks and 37 RBIs while the team finished 42-18.

“I did not play as much as I wanted to, but I just kept working on getting better,” Fisher said. “Out of high school I was still underdeveloped, but I put up 30 or so pounds and worked in the batting cages and took groundballs and flyballs every day. It’s finally paid off.”
            http://www.mantecabulletin.com/news/article/15095/
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
            X