2010 MLB Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 MLB Draft

Probably a little to early, but who are some guys you are hoping fall to the Fish?

I have a few that I've read about but they all seem to be in the top 10 so I doubt they fall back to where Florida selects.

Also could people post where the best scouting reports are? I'm just googling really which sucks not a lot of sites rate players based on the 20-80 scale which I like.

I heard Marlins likey Stefan Sabol. He is cousins with Troy Polamalu.

And I hope thats who they take.
    Last edited by Ralph; 05-21-2010, 12:33 PM.
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

I don't know whether I want to go pitcher or hitter this year. Nick Castellanos, Manny Machado, and Yordy Cabrera are all HS hitters that I would love to see be drafted by us but I doubt they make it to where we pick.

I haven't read to much into Sabol.

Comment

college player this year plz
        --------------------
        also I generally check this site out, then google stuff:

http://baseballdraftreport.com/
        Last edited by emkayseven; 05-21-2010, 08:11 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Bored

Beinfest draft history in round 1

College Hitters: 1
          Hit: Coghlan

College pitchers: 3
          Bust: Brett Sinkbeil, Taylor Tankersley (Still young though), Jacob Marceaux

High School Hitters: 3
          Eh: Hermida (High prospect status in minors, one monster year), Matt Dominguez, Kyle Skipworth

High School Pitchers: 6
          Hit: Volstad
          Eh: Sean West, Aaron Thompson, Ryan Tucker (Heading towards Bust), Chad James
          Bust: Jeffrey Allison (can't really blame)

We've also only drafted six other college hitters besides Coghlan before round 5 (Petersen, Cousins, Gaby for good, and Hayes, Jameson Smith, and Kris Harvey for bad [still counting Harvey as a hitter since that's what we drafted him as]).

At 39 picks before round 5, that's 18% on college hitters , 20% on college pitchers, 31% on high school hitters, 31% on high school pitchers

Fun fact: A college hitter wasn't taken before round 5 until 2005 (beinfest's fourth draft), where he took three.

Fun fact #2: Of the 8 college pitches we drafted before round 5, only 1 was drafted post-2006 (Daniel Mahoney, 4th round last year). Of those then 7, just as many made the majors (Jason Vargas, Taylor Tankersley, and Logan Kensing) than those who are already out of baseball (Trevor Hutchinson, Matthew Goyen, Jacob Marceaux). The last one, Brett Sinkbeil, could easily go either way but currently leaning towards out of baseball.

We've only had four other college pitchers even make the majors period: Ross Wolf, Daniel Barone, Graham Taylor, and Chris Leroux.

Our FO has a horrible track record with college pitchers haha

Comment

Good stuff nny.

The Marlins (for the most part) have had good first and second rounders, it's just we are horrible at drafting in the third and fourth. Jameson Smith was released out of camp, and Greg Burns is horrible. Rosey was talking to me about it the other day and pointed it out, saying that that's where they do bad, in the third and fourth round.
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Bryce Bentz goes the pick after us. I would be pretty upset if we passed on him. However, Clovey is a good picture in his own respect.

(The mock in the link)

Comment

Money always play a role into this, but does the new stadium change that at all even in the slightest bit?

Comment

Names tied to us have been

HS Pitchers
                  Stetson Allie
                  Kaleb Cowart
                  Tyrell Jenkins

College Pitchers
                  Brandon Workman
                  Jesse Hahn

In other words cheap pitchers,Slot for us is 1.25 million and don't look for us to spend more.

Sad tho cause a few names look to be dropping-Yordy Cabrera,AJ Cole,Anthony Ranaudo,Christian Colon but none of them will sign for 1.25 million

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                    Names tied to us have been

HS Pitchers
                    Stetson Allie
                    Kaleb Cowart
                    Tyrell Jenkins

College Pitchers
                    Brandon Workman
                    Jesse Hahn

In other words cheap pitchers,Slot for us is 1.25 million and don't look for us to spend more.

Sad tho cause a few names look to be dropping-Yordy Cabrera,AJ Cole,Anthony Ranaudo,Christian Colon but none of them will sign for 1.25 million
                    Allie is a future closer, reminds me of Lidge a bit. Workman would be my pick out of all of them.

Comment

with a name like workman he's gotta be good
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Workman will probably be gone but is our type of arm. Big kid 6'5 220lbs who is a workhorse

Jenkins is a HS kid out of Texas with 99 MPH fastball PROJECT tho

Alot of talk about Hahn,as the most ML Ready RP(see Storen).Fastball between 97-99 and 6'5 190lbs He could possible help out a bullpen next year

Comment

The ESPN mock has us taking:

#23 Florida Marlins - Barrett Loux, RHP, Texas A&M
                          The Marlins love big pitchers from Texas or Oklahoma, and the 6-foot-5 Houston-born Loux certainly fits that description. They're not likely to go much over slot and might pass before taking a college position player.

Comment

Bryce Harper just keeps growing his legend. With his Southern Nevada team facing elimination in its region 18 junior-college regional, Harper hit four home runs during a 6-for-6, 10 RBIs game and led the Coyotes to the NJCAA World Series.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal has full details here, including winds gusting up to 45 mph out to center field. But Harper's the only one on either team hitting four homers, a double and a triple, the day after he hit for the cycle. Harper, the No. 1 prospect in the 2010 draft, entered regional play hitting .415/.504/.891 with 23 home runs, but those numbers (which haven't been updated at CSN's website) will look a bit more ridiculous after this weekend. More importantly, Harper and his team will keep playing.

"From the first day, all of us said we're going to Grand Junction," he told the Review-Journal. "That's our dream, and that's what we're going to do."

Harper actually came to the plate for his final at-bat needing a single to hit for the cycle for a second consecutive day. He hit a two-run home run instead.

"Some people said, 'He needs a single for cycle.' I said, 'I don't care. I want him to hit another home run,' " CSN coach Tim Chambers told the Review-Journal.
                            http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2174

Comment

Wishes Marlins had #1 pick even knowing they probably wouldnt draft Harper because he would cost too much.
                              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                              Noah Perio
                              Jupiter
                              39 AB
                              15 H
                              0 2B
                              0 3B
                              0 HR
                              0 BB
                              .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                              X