No announcement yet.

2011 Offseason Sim 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That still just substituting apples for oranges. It still doesn't help me evaluate how to trade a high rate player for a bunch of prospects.

Comment

Jesus fucking Christ!

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
        That still just substituting apples for oranges. It still doesn't help me evaluate how to trade a high rate player for a bunch of prospects.
        What do you do in your other OOTP league?

Comment

Look. At Other. Trades.

Mba you cannot be this clueless. There have been so many trades made in this league it's not even funny. Players at every position and every level of skill. If you were following the league closely (which I now seriously doubt you were), you would have known who had been traded (recently and historically), and if there was a guy who was comparable to one of yours who was traded, all you had to do was look at THAT trade and see what that owner got in return. Then, in your negotiations, you go into the other team's system and find players that match THAT return. Did the owner of the comparable player get a 4* potential OFer that has potentials of 70/72/61/68/52? A 5* potential pitcher w/ potentials of 80/65/72? And a 3* potential SS with potentials of 61/58/52/66/40? Well BY GOLLY, SHERLOCK! That's what your player's worth! Roughly, of course, but all you have to do is find players who are similar to the ones who got traded for the guy yours is similar to. I've built entire trades around this and it worked out well for me. The market establishes the player's value, but you have to be PAYING ATTENTION to figure that out. Trades are not made in a vacuum. They can't be.

Fuck you, this makes me so mad. How do you consistently refuse to get this? I'm glad you don't plan on returning, maybe we can get an owner who will stay involved and not complain when their strategy of deliberately avoiding one method of improving their team because they have a "mental block" backfires and their team sucks.
          *Is a huge fucking asshole*

Comment

Let me try to explain this another way since, as usual, I seem to be speaking a different language. I can't just easily look at other trades because I don't know how to evaluate the trade. As has been pointed out, bad trades have been made. Without understanding how to evaluate the trade as to whether it's good or not, I can't use it as a basis for a trade for me to make. It's like asking me to read Chinese when I don't even know the alphabet.

Comment

If you can't speak Chinese, and you need to understand something written in it, what do you do? Get someone to fucking translate it for you.

All you had to do when looking up trades was ask someone (me, PWG, nny, Mainge, etc) whether or not it was a good trade. Specifically, for the person trading the player comparable to yours, was it favorable for them? If the answer is yes, you now have a baseline for what a favorable return for your player is. (Note that, back when I knew very little about trades, I did this ALL THE TIME with PWG. Ask him. Go ahead, do it. Ask him how many times I bothered him with questions about trades and player value. I learned so much from just asking questions.)

This isn't Chinese, but I'm starting to think you don't even speak English.

Comment

When PWG was trying to explain it to me, he always told me that the players are rated differently depending on which position they play. If I had some kind of table about how players get rated, it would have helped. Instead, it just confused me more.

As for the other league, it's set up differently and simplified to make things easier to understand. The star rating is not used at all and the rates are rounded into a 1-20 scale. That levels the playing field and makes it easier to evaluate players without all the other nonsense and the individual rates. There just too much in OOTP for a beginner to get a grasp of. Or maybe that's just me.

Comment

I was a beginner. I asked questions. This isn't hard in the least.

Comment

When PWG was trying to explain it to me, he always told me that the players are rated differently depending on which position they play. If I had some kind of table about how players get rated, it would have helped. Instead, it just confused me more.

As for the other league, it's set up differently and simplified to make things easier to understand. The star rating is not used at all and the rates are rounded into a 1-20 scale. That levels the playing field and makes it easier to evaluate players without all the other nonsense and the individual rates. There just too much in OOTP for a beginner to get a grasp of. Or maybe that's just me.
                    What is "all the other nonsense"? I also hope you realize that both leagues use the same rating scale, except ours is scaled up 5 times more than theirs. I don't see how that makes it an indecipherable language to you. Here, let me help you translate it. If a position player in our league has these ratings: 78/72/80/68/60, then his ratings in your other league would be 16/14/16/14/12. These are not exact numbers, but all I did was divide the first set of numbers by 5 and round to the closest whole number. If you do that, and just ignore the star ratings completely, then you have exactly what the other league gave you. And since you are a self-professed lover of mathematics, I honestly cannot fucking fathom how you never figured that out or thought to do this on your own. Seriously?

As for your first comment about needing some kind of powerpoint presentation tailored specifically to you, uh, really? In real life, different positions are more valuable or less valuable respective to each other. If you can grasp that concept in real life, why does it slip through your brain's reach in a fake baseball league? Centerfield and catcher are positions where offense is at a premium, so it makes sense that a player who is an offensive stud at the position will get a "5 star" rating even if, overall compared to the entire league, he is more like a 3.5 star player. If you are unsure how valuable a player is or what he is really worth, if you think you are getting fleeced in a trade, etc, all you have to do is ASK someone. In my opinion, your problem was never that you couldn't understand, you're a baseball fan, these are the kind of things we try to understand about our real teams every day. It's that you did not want to understand, you were frightened by the prospect of making a dumb move, or even asking for help with a system that is really not that complicated. I don't know how often you reached out or sought help on your own, but it appears to me that you never put in much of an effort to learn, and I suspect you got frustrated at the beginning, threw your hands up and quit. That's not our fault. Or the fault of the league dynamics. It's yours.
                    Last edited by Branch; 08-10-2011, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• This guy is dumb.

Comment

• Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
                        This isn't a case of 2+2=4 like you're trying to make it sound like. You're not trading a 5 star player hitting .320 for another 5 star player hitting .320. I know enough to know that said player will bring a lot of players and some high potential young players but I have no idea what is asking too much and what is not asking enough. That's where my problem lies. I also would have no idea what to ask for David Wright for example who has a good contract, is still young but was hitting around .250. That is where my mental block is that no one could explain to me.
                        Looking back, I think I need to respond to this, too.

NOBODY DOES AT FIRST. NOBODY KNOWS THAT WHEN THEY START. THE ONLY WAY TO LEARN IT IS TO TRY. MAKE TRADES. LEARN. YOU DID NOT DO THAT. IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT. SHUT UP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mcost002 View Post
                          This guy is dumb.

Comment

• Excuse me for being a beginner playing the expert level OOTP. I tried to figure it out, tried to stick with it and just got sick of a game frustrating me so much.
                            Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 08-10-2011, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Most of us were beginners when the league started. The reason you are still a beginner is because you asked for help, and I quote from PWG, "probably 0 with a +/- of 1" times. You could have gotten help with all the things you didn't understand innumerable times, but you chose not to because "mental block." Or whatever. OK. That's fine. But you can't blame it on anyone or anything but yourself. The ridiculous fuss you've made in this thread (and others before it) is obscene, considering how little you actually did to learn or improve your knowledge of the game. If you had shown an effort to learn and been able to grasp some knowledge of the game, instead of saying "Welp, can't figure this shit out! There must not be enough talent!" your critiques could have been valid, but as it is you are talking about something you do not, and did not try to, understand. GTFO kthxbai?

Comment

• Whatever. You don't know shit about what I tried to do to figure this out. You just enjoy your little league where the experts at the game keep winning everything while everyone else sucks, loses interest and quits and I will not bother you anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X