No announcement yet.

2011 Offseason Sim 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not too thrilled about the FA markets either. I think we need to start over or fold.

Comment

Ok, well I am sorry guys. But I am growing quite frustrated with the whole mess. I am done with it :\ If you guys start a new league please do let me know I would love to join as a normal owner... Moss, sorry to bail on you but I am just too frustrated.

My suggestion as I walk away. Just start over decide who should run the thing and get owners together before you start. Half ass starting before everything is done and this will happen again.

Again, if you guys start over pm me...
      You know what the difference between Jeremy Lin and Tim Tebow is?... Jeremy Lin is probably a good Quarter Back.

Comment

You guys are a trip. Why is it so hard to wait it out until everyone gets settled and we can figure it out from there?

There's literally nothing to be frustrated about. No need to rage quit.

Comment

I'm not frustrated, more feeling guilty. Right after I proclaim that I can step in and act as commish, I update my OS and render OOTP incompatible with my system, grinding everything to a fresh halt. Makes me feel like a jerk. Maybe it was a good thing though, starting fresh could be for the best. Our league has become a real mess due to all the contractions and expansions.
          *Is a huge fucking asshole*

Comment

Wanna know what really bugged me about this league? The lack of talent. I'm not just talking about free agents. You basically either had superstars (and they were few and far between) and mediocre fringe major leaguers. If you were lucky enough to have a couple superstars, you'd run away with the division because no one else had enough talent to catch you. If you were stuck without any phenomal players, you were fucked because there were only about 10 players in the draft worth a damn and the second round of the draft was totally pointless because the players all sucked.

I'm in another OOTP league that is totally the opposite of this and is much more fun for everyone.

Comment

Eh, but it's realistic though. How many stars does each MLB team actually have though?

Yours had a couple, Wright and Morneau. Most teams really only have two with stuff coming up the pipe. Marlins really only have 3 "star" players, in Stanton, Ramirez and Johnson and then the next level has Gaby and LoMo and so on.

So your claim that a couple superstars made it easy to win is pretty fallacious, everyone had a couple guys.

Look at the Pirates in real life. McCutchen, maybe Alvarez (stock slipping). A couple stars in the making, but still. Thing is, you can't realistically have a bunch of teams with 5-10 5 star players. Maybe a couple who mortgage the future, but in that case it balances out, hence the salary cap, to force teams to move those guys after a while, if age didn't.
              CSBC Commish

Comment

I'm not just talking about stars. I'm talking about having about 20 superstars and everyone else is like AAAA players. That's what pissed me off.

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
                  I'm not just talking about stars. I'm talking about having about 20 superstars and everyone else is like AAAA players. That's what pissed me off.
                  Wanna know what really bugged me about this league? The lack of talent. I'm not just talking about free agents. You basically either had superstars (and they were few and far between) and mediocre fringe major leaguers. If you were lucky enough to have a couple superstars, you'd run away with the division because no one else had enough talent to catch you. If you were stuck without any phenomal players, you were fucked because there were only about 10 players in the draft worth a damn and the second round of the draft was totally pointless because the players all sucked.
                  Every organization has its share of Chris Aguilas and DeWayne Wises. That's why we know their names. I'm not saying 15 rosters of 25 5 star guys isn't something, but it's all relative. I could make a league FULLY COMPRISED of 1 star guys and things would hammer out roughly the same. Ive seen leagues of generally terrible players, guys that wouldn't even start in any teams in our league, but because it was relative, it was fine.
                  CSBC Commish

Comment

You want to talk about my team? Yeah, I had Wright and Morneau. Never did I have both of then clicking and they were surrounded by a bunch of guys hitting sub-.250. And my team was winning just enough games to get me a 3 star player in the deft that would never fucking help me.

Being in another league that is run totally differently and that actually allows people the ability to build a team from the ground up via the draft instead of having to build a team like an Indian market made me, someone uncomfortable with trades, made me lose interest in this league quickly.

Comment

The league had too much talent as is. I cant believe so many people want better players. We were using a roster for 30 (Thirty!) teams. The league was flooded with talent and those owners thay were actually active had several superstars. Plus, as pwg said, it's all relative. And fuck you and your no trading

Comment

Well excuse me for not understanding how to get value for players. It's not exactly a mathematical equation.

You hear people talking about no talent (and not just me) and you think there is too much? Clearly, everyone is not on the same page. Like I said, there were superstars and guys who should be career minor leaguers. Nothing in between.

Comment

We tried to help, you wouldn't listen

Comment

I'm in another OOTP league that is totally the opposite of this and is much more fun for everyone.

I hear you 100%
                            --------------------
                            Now for the record, I'll probably stick with you guys no matter what you do. That being said, there were several times where "real life" got in the way of the sim/season/offseason progressing on a regular schedule. If things get that hectic, let someone help that doesn't have difficulties.

I feel bad that life gets in the way, and I totally understand, but what these leagues need more than anything is to operate on a regular schedule. That keeps people interested in the league and motivated to participate.

Another problem we had was that the league grew too stagnant. There was hardly any player turn over, as most teams simply didn't want to trade. By that happening, people began to look to FA for options, which didn't work because it seemed like only once or twice in the life of the league, that there was a player worth more than 1 star.
                            Last edited by KnuckleBalls; 08-09-2011, 08:31 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                            This is a Dolphins town, though.

"Fuck, what've they done?'' --Ozzie Guillen

I am dead set against free agency, it can ruin baseball. --- George Steinbrenner

2010 SoFlaMarlins Fantasy Baseball Champion
                            Edmonton Ice Bats
                            2007 Teal League Wildcard
                            2008 Teal League Wildcard

2009 Teal League Wildcard
                            2010 Teal League Wildcard
                            2011 Teal League West Division Winner

Comment

Well excuse me for not understanding how to get value for players. It's not exactly a mathematical equation.

You hear people talking about no talent (and not just me) and you think there is too much? Clearly, everyone is not on the same page. Like I said, there were superstars and guys who should be career minor leaguers. Nothing in between.
                              You're objectively and quantitatively wrong, Mibs.

Our league file was based on 30 ML teams... in MLB, every team has like 2-3 franchise caliber players, even the worst teams. We condensed that to fewer than 20 teams. There were plenty of stars.. and your gripe about AAAA players is exceptionally misguided. Star rating, as I've said TOO MANY times, is not the end all and be all of player evaluation. How many one star guys did I have that did just fine?

Guys like Aaron Cook, Chris Seddon, Casey Blake and on and on and on. There were plenty of tweeners, stars and everything else. The reason you didn't have many was because you relied on the draft, which was an influx of what? 5 players a year? And, you'd be losing that many players a year, if not more, by neg, FA, retirement and whatever. You were operating at a net loss of players in your organization every year. Had you taken the time, rather than just given up (and don't argue this, everyone has offered countless times to help, even if we had to actually broker trades FOR you) you could have traded Wright and Morneau for everything you needed and then some.

Like I said, we tried to stress REALISM, part of being a good baseball team is acquiring players through ALL means and not exclusively through one method. Im glad you found a league that caters to you, but that's not the point of this one, so to say the league was AT ALL bereft of talent is wrong.

If you want to lay down blame, blame yourself, don't blame the game.
                              CSBC Commish

Comment

I just think we need an accurate roster of current real players. If you do not effectively build your team, you can't say anything.
                                You know what the difference between Jeremy Lin and Tim Tebow is?... Jeremy Lin is probably a good Quarter Back.

Comment

Working...
                                X