Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ricky Helps Marlins Get Back To Winning Ways, Beat Philly 3-2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Ricky Helps Marlins Get Back To Winning Ways, Beat Philly 3-2.

Discuss.

1/3 of the way to a sweep.
    I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

We can has win?

Comment

PHILADELPHIA -- With the Marlins in need of stopper, Ricky Nolasco stepped up to offer some much-needed relief.

Nolasco's seven-inning, seven-strikeout outing helped lift the Marlins to a 3-2 win over the Phillies on Friday night, snapping a three-game losing streak.

A crowd of 45,114 watched the Marlins take the first game of the series and move to within six games of the Phillies in the National League East.

Nolasco recorded his fourth straight quality start, scattering four hits. Nick Johnson and Cody Ross each hit solo home runs.

Eight pitches into the game, the Marlins grabbed the lead on Johnson's home run to right field. The blast, his first since being traded to Florida, highlighted a two-run first inning. Hanley Ramirez doubled and scored on Dan Uggla's RBI double after the ball bounced just under the glove of Raul Ibanez in left field.

Ross went deep on Joe Blanton's first pitch of the second inning, connecting on his 19th home run of the season. The three early runs were all Blanton allowed in 6 2/3 innings.

When Nolasco, who threw 53 of his 84 pitches for strikes, struck out the side in order in the sixth inning, the right-hander reached seven Ks. That order was equally impressive, as he fanned Jayson Werth, Chase Utley and Ryan Howard in succession.

The only trouble Nolasco encountered came in the second inning. Howard doubled and moved to third on Ibanez's single off Ramirez's glove. Initially, the play was ruled an error, but it was later changed to a hit. But with runners on the corners and no outs, Nolasco escaped without yielding a run.

The Marlins had a chance to add a run with two outs in the seventh inning. Chris Coghlan extended his streak of multihit games to six with a single. Johnson walked, and Blanton was relieved by Chan Ho Park. Ramirez singled to right, but Coghlan was tossed out at the plate on Ben Francisco's strong throw.

Philadelphia carried the momentum to the bottom of the inning. Ibanez singled, marking the first hit allowed by Nolasco since the second inning. Francisco then deposited Nolasco's first pitch over the left-field wall for a two-run homer.
        Backed early, Nolasco holds off Phils

Comment

A very needed win.
          "The Marlins are going to lose because they don't have two magical unicorns having sex in the bathroom"
          -Dan LeBatard

Comment

The offense is still super disturbing, but a win is a win is a win
            God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
            - Daft

Comment

I got a little nervous with leo in the game. Hanley hasnt done so well his last few times up with bases loaded, im spoiled.
              STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

It's amazing how this team can look so good at times.

Also, let's be honest, Coghlan was safe. I just don't understand how you can tag someone on the ass and have an umpire truly believe that the tag beat the foot. Stuff like that just makes me angry.

Comment

Not 100% sure he touched the bag, though. It was a good block by Ruiz.
                  God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                  - Daft

Comment

I thought he was safe, too but it turns out that it didn't matter. It would have just been an insurance run that we didn't need.

Comment

Post-demotion Ricky continues to be so sexy.

Comment

Swift pwned (no, never going to stop)

Love me some Ricky.
                        Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

Working...
                        X