X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 36 | Damek Tomscha | 3B | Iowa Western CC | NOT SIGNED

Discuss.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Like the pick. Wish we had more picks like Draft Tracker Stopped Working.

Comment

I don't care for them

sorry about the thread title but needed a place holder so I could start the next round's thread when the time comes
      --------------------
      Damek Tomscha is a 2010 3B/SS with a 6'2'', 200 lb. frame from Sioux City, IA who attends Sioux City North HS. Square shouldered build, good present strength. Outstanding arm strength at 3B, good athletic actions, needs improvement on footwork/balance, 6.93 runner. Very good raw bat speed, calm balanced stance, lacks ideal hitting rhythm now, line drive swing plane, ball jumps off bat well. Also pitched, different arm stroke than at 3B, upper 80's fastball, some sharpness to slider. Very interesting unrecognized talent witha high ceiling. Signed with Iowa Western CC
      from per-fect-game.org
      --------------------
      drafted by Phillies in the 50th round last year:

There's certainly no sense of urgency, but North High's Damek Tomscha will have something to think about the rest of the summer after the Philadelphia Phillies drafted him in the 50th and final round of the Major League Baseball draft Wednesday.
      Tomscha, a senior shortstop-pitcher, was recently named the Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year. He batted .456 with 11 home runs and 48 RBIs as a junior, leading the Stars to the Class 4A state championship.

Through 13 games this season, the Iowa Western Community College recruit is hitting a hefty .605 with four homers and 19 RBIs.

"It's definitely an honor to get drafted, but from what they say they will evaluate me the rest of the summer and maybe by then come up with an offer," Tomscha said. "They'll watch me play this summer and we'll go from there.

"I'm really excited about playing for Iowa Western, especially since they just won a (Junior College) national championship. Right now, I can' t really say much because there's been no offer. If I don't sign I won't be missing out on much because hopefully I'll have another opportunity if I stay healthy."

North Coach Brian Drent said the Phillies now hold Tomscha's rights until Aug. 16 and will watch him play throughout the summer and evaluate him as time goes on.

"With high school kids drafted this late, I don't think they will come in and pour the pressure on him to sign immediately," Drent said. "They will continue to evaluate him and it depends on how many other players they sign what kind of an offer they will make.
      "But there are hundreds of thousands of kids who play high school and college baseball who never get the opportunity to be drafted. If it doesn't happen now, Damek will continue to develop his talent and get drafted again. My hope is that it happens when our season ends on Aug. 3."
      http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/spor...8b8f5abef.html
      --------------------
      SIOUX CITY -- For the second time in as many years, a North High School athlete has been named the Gatorade Iowa Baseball Player of the Year.

Damek Tomscha, a senior shortstop, is honored as the 2009-10 recipient, following in the footsteps of Dean McArdle, now a freshman pitcher at Stanford University.

The 6-foot-3 Tomscha led the Stars to a 36-7 record and the Iowa Class 4A state championship last season, the first in school history. Tomscha batted .456 with 11 home runs, 48 RBIs, 52 hits and an .897 slugging percentage. A 2009 all-state Super Team selection and Louisville Slugger preseason All-American, Tomscha batted .667 with nine runs scored and six RBIs in three state tournament games.

"It's definitely a big honor to receive this award, just like Dean did last year," said Tomscha. "I guess all of the hard work has paid off."

Tomscha has maintained a weighted 3.52 GPA in the classroom. An active member of the church community, he has volunteered locally as a youth baseball and basketball coach, as well as at North High's school store.

"Damek Tomscha has been a dynamic player for us since his freshman year," said North High Coach Brian Drent. "He has been a force in the middle of our order and has also been a great defensive player with above-average range and arm strength. He has been a difference-maker for our team."

Tomscha will attend Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs and play baseball.
      North is off to a 7-0 start this season.

The award, which recognizes not only athletic excellence, but also high standards of academic achievement and exemplary character demonstrated on and off the field, distinguishes Tomscha as Iowa's best high school baseball player.

Now a finalist for the Gatorade National Baseball Player of the Year award announced later this month, Tomscha joins an elite alumni association of past state award winners. Among the past honorees are Derek Jeter (1991-92, Kalamazoo, Mich., High School), Roy Halladay (1994-95, Arvada, Colo., West High School), David Price (2003-04, Blackman, Tenn., High School), Chipper Jones (1989-90, Bolles, Fla., School), Derek Lee (1992-93, El Camino, Calif., High School) and John Lester (2001-02, Bellarmine, Wash., Prep).
      The Gatorade Player of the Year program annually recognizes one winner in the District of Columbia and each of the 50 states that sanction high school football, girls volleyball, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls basketball, boys and girls soccer, baseball, softball and boys and girls track and field, and awards one National Player of the Year in each sport.

The selection process is administered by ESPN RISE and the Gatorade high school sports program. They work with top sport specific experts and a media advisory board of accomplished, veteran sports journalists to determine the state winners in each sport.
      Ian Gilmore of Iowa City High won the Iowa player of the year award in 2006-07 and B.J. Hermsen of West Delaware in 2007-08.
      http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/spor...27f1fab0e.html
      Last edited by emkayseven; 06-08-2011, 12:24 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Third baseman Damek Tomscha was the most dangerous hitter on an Iowa Western CC team that returned to Grand Junction to defend its 2010 national championship. A freshman drafted in the 50th round by the Phillies a year ago, he's a physical 6-foot-3, 223-pounder with lots of raw righthanded power. His swing is long, and he has yet to prove he can hit quality breaking balls. He moves well at third base, and scouts are intrigued by his potential as a pitcher after clocking him at 95 mph throwing across the infield during fall practice. Tomscha prefers to hit and didn't take the mound this spring.
        From BA ^

Damek Tomscha is playing summer ball right now for the Rochester Honkers. Pitching again as well after not throwing a single pitch this yr at Iowa Western CC (maybe Marlins asked him to pitch?). No doubt he is very raw right now but tools are present, I hope the Marlins are able to sign him.

Summer Ball Stats
        http://northwoods.bbstats.pointstrea...layerid=140756

Comment

On Iowa’s thriving junior-college front, Iowa Western won the Junior College World Series a year ago without having a single player drafted. The Rievers earned the right to defend their 2010 national title, but that draft quirk will not happen again as the team has a legitimate prospect in 6-foot-4, 220-pound freshman third baseman Damek Tomscha, who put together a huge season with the bat (.374-13-55). Tomscha may actually impress scouts even more with his raw arm strength as he has been clocked at 95 mph across the infield. They are anxious to see him show off his big arm on the mound, but Tomscha did not pitch at all this spring.
          4. DAMEK TOMSCHA, 3b/rhp, Iowa Western CC (Fr.)
          + strong (6-2/205), + RH power potential (.374-13-58), ++ raw arm strength, some scouts feel future as RHP.
          http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...x?article=5741

Comment

Working...
          X