No announcement yet.

MLB Investigating Twitter Gambling Allegations Against Jarred Cosart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"While MLB's rules strictly prohibit gambling on the National Pastime, they don't forbid players from casting bets on other sports."

Exactly how it should be.

Now Cosart (who sounds like a fun guy) just needs to not make this worse by going into Deny Deny mode.

Deny Deny mode never ends well.

Right, A-Rod, Pete Rose and Lance Armstrong?
    --------------------
    As the story slowly grows........

the fact remains there is not one single shred of evidence (yet) that he bets on baseball let alone that he would be purposefully pitching poorly to win a bet.
    Last edited by Namaste; 03-25-2015, 02:50 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

This will be nothing.

I just hope it doesn't affect his mental state to start the season.
      STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

I also think the title of this thread is a little much.

Could probably do without the "possible run shaving" part

Comment

that was from this morning, you are correct
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Has anyone really made the run-shaving allegation beyond that initial post from a website called Total Frat Move?
            poop

Comment

nope
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

That's why I thought it was a good idea that we changed the title of this thread.

Comment

Another new twitter. Gotta assume this one is fake too.

https://twitter.com/Jarred_Cosart

Jarred Cosart @Jarred_Cosart · 6h 6 hours ago
                  Don't listen to what people are saying... The truth will come out

Comment

@JaredCosartGAMBOL_AllNightBaby

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                      @JaredCosartGAMBOL_AllNightBaby
                      If someone is going to make a fake Twitter account, they should at least spell his name correctly.

Comment

f that.

Comment

Yeah I totally made that up, guys.

Comment

The Miami Marlins addressed the current Major League Baseball investigation concerning alleged social media posts from right-hander Jarred Cosart.

On late Tuesday, an article from Total Frat Move posted alleged screenshots between Cosart's Twitter account (@JarredCosart) and @ghostfadekillah discussing betting. By Wednesday morning, the story gained steam. MLB Rule 21 prohibits gambling on baseball.

"I was caught off guard by the whole situation," Cosart said. "All I'm really saying to everyone is I'm following the MLB protocol and talking with MLB security. They're taking care of this. That's where I stand right now. That's it."
                            President of baseball operations Michael Hill said the Marlins have not been given a timeframe on how long the investigation will take. He didn't know whether it would carry over into the regular season, which opens in 11 days.

"We're not going to speculate on anything," Hill said. "No hypotheticals. We'll let it all play out. When it comes to a conclusion we'll know what we need to do if anything."

Cosart has been scratched from his start on Friday night in Kissimmee with a blister on his right middle finger. He developed it during his last outing on Sunday against the Minnesota Twins.

Over four Grapefruit League outings, Cosart is 0-2 with an 8.49 ERA. He has given up 11 runs on 18 hits in 11 2/3 innings. He has been in line as the No. 3 starter in the rotation.

Manager Mike Redmond said Cosart would play catch on Thursday and see how it feels before being reevaluated. Lefty Brad Hand will get the nod in his place.

"I think it's more about getting that blister -- those things can become a huge problem for pitchers," Redmond said. "I think you all remember when Josh Beckett had those blister problems. He's had it in the past, so it's something you've got to take care of and make sure we're on top of and get healthy, so it doesn't become a big deal for him."

When asked whether the situation surprised him, Hill laughed. He and the rest of the organization found out about it via the online article like everyone else.

Later in the day, someone claiming to be Cosart tweeted from @COSARTJL addressing the issue and claiming his previous account had been accessed.

"Anything else that happened after that's not me," Cosart said. "My other one's completely deleted and being looked at by Major League Baseball. All the new ones (are) not me. That's been confiscated as well."

Asked whether this could be a disruption with Opening Day set for April 6, both Hill and Redmond said no.

As for whether the club cautions its players about social media?

"This situation aside, you just need to be mindful of what's out there," Hill said.

Added Redmond: "These guys are big boys. You've got to be careful, be mindful of it. That's probably the message."
                            http://www.foxsports.com/florida/sto...adbpr=22819823

Comment

What's taking so long here?
                              STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

The investigation, I imagine

Comment

Working...
                                X