X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like him even if he is a luzr

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
      Yeah, he's probably bad. They also almost certainly don't have any other players I'd rather see play. So, let him fail. I don't see the downside. If they're 3 wins better next year, who gives a crap?
      The team's talent level is better than that of a 56-97 team. I do not think that we should believe in the whole "if we're 3 wins better next year, who gives a crap?" type of mentality. There have been positives this year. A group of core players has been established if they identify them correctly. Some players have underachieved. I think the only overachieving player (in terms of results) has been Jacob Turner. The rest either suck, have underachieved, or have performed to what their career norms should be.

Considering the payroll flexibility, the team could be interesting next year if they decide to care about it. I do not think we should have to settle for Hechavarria type of production at any position unless if you truly believe that he can improve for whatever reason.

Comment

The pitching looks good. They need to sign some hitters to stand a chance next season. That includes replacing Hech.

Comment

per James/Dewan via Glenn Geffner:

Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

16th/22nd out of SS in OPS. Just barely under league average OPS for SS (.677 vs .664). Certainly good to see improvement there.

0.6 WAR, 18th out 22, not so good.

That's with -9 UZR. If we assume average (+0), that's 1.5 WAR (16/22).

If we assume he's very good (+10), that's 2.5 WAR (12/22).

If we assume he's elite class (+20), that's 3.5 WAR (5/22).

Food for thought. If the numbers are so down on him, while the eyes says he's great, I'd personally call it in the middle and say he's average. But if you think he's very good, that makes him a pretty average SS. I think it's incredibly hard to call him elite when the numbers are so down on him, though.

Comment

He has good hands.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                per James/Dewan via Glenn Geffner:

This seems very subjective. "Turning a DP while getting barreled into." What?

A misplay has to have a negative consequence - so you can fuck up and if a runner is equally inept at not moving forward a base that doesn't count?

Also what about range? There may be a good "spectacular play to misplay/error" ratio, but if the defender does not get to 5% more balls hit to him because he has a slow first step, how is that factored?

Weak
                --------------------
                Originally posted by nny View Post
                16th/22nd out of SS in OPS. Just barely under league average OPS for SS (.677 vs .664). Certainly good to see improvement there.

0.6 WAR, 18th out 22, not so good.

That's with -9 UZR. If we assume average (+0), that's 1.5 WAR (16/22).

If we assume he's very good (+10), that's 2.5 WAR (12/22).

If we assume he's elite class (+20), that's 3.5 WAR (5/22).

Food for thought. If the numbers are so down on him, while the eyes says he's great, I'd personally call it in the middle and say he's average. But if you think he's very good, that makes him a pretty average SS. I think it's incredibly hard to call him elite when the numbers are so down on him, though.
                He's going to continue to stink unless he walks 40+ times a year, has 40+ XBH a year, and saves that +10 as you indicate. I'd imagine that's a 3 WAR player, give or take, which would be a good longterm starter and not someone to let loose when arbitration becomes cost prohibitive.
                Last edited by lou; 10-06-2014, 06:20 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Without a doubt, he's still a hole that needs to be filled.

But if he assume he's a ~1.5 WAR player, he's not THE thing that needs to be replaced

Namely, we need to fix 1B (assume ~0 WAR).

I think 2b and 3b are of equal need (I'd assume Casey, Kike, and Dietrich all being something like 1-2 WAR, with Dietrich and Kike have better break out potential).

C is pretty similar need too.

The biggest thing is that I don't think we get a valuable SS back unless it's for Stanton (Or Ozuna/Yelich). Same with C. I think pieces like Cishek or Eovaldi can bring us a solid 1B/2B/3B though (though I think 1B is easy enough to fill in FA that we shouldn't target that in trades).

Preferably, for me, we sign a 1B and a 2B/3B, trade for a good SS, platoon Dietrich and Kike at the other 2B/3B and let them fight for being a starter, and just live with Salty because I don't know how we're getting out of that contract without paying a good amount.

That would actually be running out a legitimate MLB team without a bunch of "ifs" and assumptions

But the only thing out of that list that might happen is us signing a 1b
                  Last edited by nny; 10-07-2014, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                    Without a doubt, he's still a hole that needs to be filled.

But if he assume he's a ~1.5 WAR player, he's not THE thing that needs to be replaced

Namely, we need to fix 1B (assume ~0 WAR).

I think 2b and 3b are of equal need (I'd assume Casey, Kike, and Dietrich all being something like 1-2 WAR, with Dietrich and Kike have better break out potential).

C is pretty similar need too.

The biggest thing is that I don't think we get a valuable SS back unless it's for Stanton (Or Ozuna/Yelich). Same with C. I think pieces like Cishek or Eovaldi can bring us a solid 1B/2B/3B though (though I think 1B is easy enough to fill in FA that we shouldn't target that in trades).

Preferably, for me, we sign a 1B and a 2B/3B, trade for a good SS, platoon Dietrich and Kike at the other 2B/3B and let them fight for being a starter, and just live with Salty because I don't know how we're getting out of that contract without paying a good amount.

That would actually be running out a legitimate MLB team without a bunch of "ifs" and assumptions

But the only thing out of that list that might happen is us signing a 1b
                    I would say the corners are more important than the middle infielders, because at least there is hope there with Dietrich, Kike, I guess Hech, and long term Romero and Barnes likely are 2B even if they play them all over. Nothing at 1B or 3B top to bottom, unless they just make Romero a 3B (albeit not the prototypical slugger, if that even exists anymore), but that's not a good idea. Just absolutely nothing at the corners without Moran.

I don't mind catcher at all as I suspect Salty will be a little better, and Realmuto may have turned himself into a pretty legitimate long term prospect this year. That's a deal with in 2 years for me.

I think, for all his deficiencies, you give Hech one more year (or if contending July). A little more power and a little more defense, and he's not so bad. I remember we all hated Bonifacio, and all of a sudden he wasn't so bad in 2011 (even if BABIP infused). Maybe Hech turns a corner into competency and hits his projection, or at least a passable 1.5-2 WAR.

They just got to turn pitching into a young 1B and a young 2B/3B (preferably 3B) this offseason, and then figure out the fallout after next year. They can draft a college infielder in the draft this year which will help.

Comment

.688 2nd half OPS (.320 babip)
                      .644 1st half OPS (.325 babip)

hopefully he can flirt with .700 next season

Comment

### The Marlins say talks on a longterm deal with Adeiny Hechavarria, who is under team control through 2018, have been tabled. We hear there was a large gap.
                        http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...s-chatter.html

Comment

Jennings: "Adeiny, you're the best shortstop in the game, let us pay you $12 million per year."
                          Praver Shapiro Sports Management: "Dan, that's a gross overpayment, our client is only worth $4 million at best."
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Using the tried and trusted eye test at the game on Monday:

Simmons has a much better arm than Hech. Total cannon.

Comment

yay.png

it's way early, but this is still nice to see

- - - - - - - - - -

All my jokes aside, we all know he's not gonna maintain this level offensively. But if he can flirt with .700ops, which is looking more and more realistic, he's really nothing to complain about anymore.

- - - - - - - - - -

His 2014 OPS bottomed out at .599 on June 10. Since then he's hitting .299/.330/.397 in 394pa

Comment

The apparent defensive improvement is a bigger deal to me. The offensive peripherals are nearly identical, and the increase in ISO is due almost entirely to the fact that he randomly put one 2 feet over the wall. I'm not really buying an offensive improvement.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X