No announcement yet.

Alvarez and Stanton Lead the Troops into Battle; Marlins Blank Mets 3-0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Alvarez and Stanton Lead the Troops into Battle; Marlins Blank Mets 3-0

Have yourself a night, Henderson.

The advanced stats say we're a 77 win team (and I belive them) but right now we're a mushroom cloud laying motherfucker 85 win team.

Stanton loves going ALL OVER BEEFS FACE.

PECOTA has the Marlins as 2.5 games worse than the Mets from here on out.

I think that's crazy!
    poop

Comment

They're playing like a 98-win team per run differential right now, which is hilarious.
      poop

Comment

This team is so good I just saw Ice active in this thread.
        --------------------
        so I know this is absolute bat shit insane but hear me out...

What if the 2012 fuck-up was pre-meditated?

Going into the 11-12 offseason this team had a new identity and a new stadium but had negligible major league talent and shit for a farm system. They did however have a new revenue stream. Thing is, you can't buy prospects. You can't even buy young players. The only types of players you can buy are veterans. So knowing they couldn't limp into a new stadium as a 70-75 win team, they said fuck it, and spent a shit ton of money, hoping that maybe something would stick, and at the very least they'd get publicity. But the escape hatch always was, these guys have track record, and they're good, so at the VERY least we speed up our timetable for winning by 3 years because we will get near-ready pieces in exchange for them when we trade them.

I mean, I know this team is likely not an 85-90 win team, but you can see the flashes and honestly shit like this doesn't happen accidentally. They technically did what you're supposed to do, and traded from a strength (payroll flexibility) to acquire a weakness (prospects/young stars). They couldn't do it directly, so they did it indirectly, and in the process hurt their public image, with the idea that winning would bring it back.

Most likely when Beinfest and Loria hatched the plan Beinfest told him that if the 2012 team didn't win the pieces they'd get for 2013 would be competitive in 2013 and obviously that didn't happen, so he gets canned and now the pieces he put in place are winning a year later.

Just a weird thought.

I'm tired.
        Last edited by emkayseven; 05-06-2014, 09:20 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

That doesn't suggest it was a fuck up. I would be pretty surprised if they went into that year not also saying worst case scenario we can trade these guys for legit prospects that will make Daft go fvcking insane on the Internet.

Comment

Outside of the obvious OMG STARTING PITCHING IS GOOD, the team's doing so well because McGehee is playing over his head and must have amazing RISP numbers, Hech is overperforming, Ozuna is overperforming a little, and Salty is OPS'ing over 1.000

I think Yelich is legit as a really good leadoff hitter, Salty is legit in the sense he's a really good hitter (although more of a low to mid .800 OPS guy), Stanton is Stanton, and Dietrich is what he is. I like Ozuna and he seems to be exhibiting better contact ability than he did in the minors, but he seems due (and might already be exhibiting) signs of falling back down to earth, Hech will go back to being a negative on offense, and McGehee, while proving to be improve since he was last in the minors, is not a .300 hitter.

This offense isn't top 5 like they've played, but we're not bottom 5. I'd say if everything evens out we're like a 15th-20th ranked overall offense, which drastically improves our win probability given the AAA lineup we put on the field last year.

Comment

Why does everyone assume Hech will go back to being a bad hitter? Doesn't he have about 1000 ML ABs or less? That's nothing and he's still young. I'm pretty sure I recall him having at least one plus offensive season in minors.
              --------------------
              Hech has only had ~800 PAs. He only had ~150 in Toronto. I don't get why everyone thinks that the player he was last year is the one he will be forever...that goes against all facts, theories, and reason. He's still super young and inexperienced. He has a nice swing and has clearly been exhibiting a new approach at bat this year. If you're going to say those things at least back them up with something besides purely conclusory statements
              Last edited by BigGameFish; 05-07-2014, 06:21 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

His entire professional career isn't enough?

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                  Why does everyone assume Hech will go back to being a bad hitter? Doesn't he have about 1000 ML ABs or less? That's nothing and he's still young. I'm pretty sure I recall him having at least one plus offensive season in minors.
                  --------------------
                  Hech has only had ~800 PAs. He only had ~150 in Toronto. I don't get why everyone thinks that the player he was last year is the one he will be forever...that goes against all facts, theories, and reason. He's still super young and inexperienced. He has a nice swing and has clearly been exhibiting a new approach at bat this year. If you're going to say those things at least back them up with something besides purely conclusory statements
                  Well he had an awesome first 5 games this year and for the most part has been pretty terrible ever since.

Pretty similar to Bonifacio a few years ago.
                  Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                  Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

Guess I'm the only one watching the day game today
                    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                      Guess I'm the only one watching the day game today
                      The game isn't televised today.

Comment

True. I'm watching the Mets broadcast on MLB.TV
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

There's a game thread.
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                            This team is so good I just saw Ice active in this thread.
                            --------------------
                            so I know this is absolute bat shit insane but hear me out...

What if the 2012 fuck-up was pre-meditated?

Going into the 11-12 offseason this team had a new identity and a new stadium but had negligible major league talent and shit for a farm system. They did however have a new revenue stream. Thing is, you can't buy prospects. You can't even buy young players. The only types of players you can buy are veterans. So knowing they couldn't limp into a new stadium as a 70-75 win team, they said fuck it, and spent a shit ton of money, hoping that maybe something would stick, and at the very least they'd get publicity. But the escape hatch always was, these guys have track record, and they're good, so at the VERY least we speed up our timetable for winning by 3 years because we will get near-ready pieces in exchange for them when we trade them.

I mean, I know this team is likely not an 85-90 win team, but you can see the flashes and honestly shit like this doesn't happen accidentally. They technically did what you're supposed to do, and traded from a strength (payroll flexibility) to acquire a weakness (prospects/young stars). They couldn't do it directly, so they did it indirectly, and in the process hurt their public image, with the idea that winning would bring it back.

Most likely when Beinfest and Loria hatched the plan Beinfest told him that if the 2012 team didn't win the pieces they'd get for 2013 would be competitive in 2013 and obviously that didn't happen, so he gets canned and now the pieces he put in place are winning a year later.

Just a weird thought.

I'm tired.
                            Beinberg was never good at executing plans, and I doubt he figured out how to towards the end.

Comment

Working...
                            X