No announcement yet.

Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im not arguing that Loria cares about the long term strategy, i'm arguing that this would be one of the dumbest moves ive ever seen this team make. We are nowhere close to being a contender. I'm sorry. We have a fairly bad rotation, and are consistently one offensive injury away from being fucked because this team refuses to invest in either quality depth via free agency or through having a quality farm system. If everything goes right with this current rotation we are maybe around where we were last year. Last year we had unsustainable performance (or at the very least unable to be topped performance) from both Realmuto and Prado offensively as well as Jose staying healthy. Our rotation is now significantly worse with Jose's death when it wasnt even good when he was in it, and I think Prado and Realmuto are due for a slight regression.We are nowhere near being a great closer away from being anything but around a .500 team at best, and that's assuming we stay healthy.

Again, my argument is not that Loria cares about long term strategy, my argument is that it should piss you guys the fuck off that he is going to fuck the future of this team for a .500 year at best before he sells the team. Granted, if selling out to be mediocre for a year means he is about to sell the team, then fuck ya lets sign every free agent possible.

Comment

• Fuck the future of the team by letting the 14th pick in the 2017 draft go?

Comment

• On the list of things Loria has done to "fuck the future of this team", signing Jansen and losing the 14th pick would rank like 20th.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          Im not arguing that Loria cares about the long term strategy, i'm arguing that this would be one of the dumbest moves ive ever seen this team make. We are nowhere close to being a contender. I'm sorry. We have a fairly bad rotation, and are consistently one offensive injury away from being fucked because this team refuses to invest in either quality depth via free agency or through having a quality farm system. If everything goes right with this current rotation we are maybe around where we were last year. Last year we had unsustainable performance (or at the very least unable to be topped performance) from both Realmuto and Prado offensively as well as Jose staying healthy. Our rotation is now significantly worse with Jose's death when it wasnt even good when he was in it, and I think Prado and Realmuto are due for a slight regression.We are nowhere near being a great closer away from being anything but around a .500 team at best, and that's assuming we stay healthy.

Again, my argument is not that Loria cares about long term strategy, my argument is that it should piss you guys the fuck off that he is going to fuck the future of this team for a .500 year at best before he sells the team. Granted, if selling out to be mediocre for a year means he is about to sell the team, then fuck ya lets sign every free agent possible.
          I agree that they need more than just this move. But I don't think we'd be done. I think we'd still sign a guy like Hammel or Fister, hopefully a bench guy, etc.

As for the "fuck the future" thoughts.....if it means him selling, go for it; it means we'd be rid of him and get an owner in here that would actually operate like a real franchise, and build a proper future for the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
            On the list of things Loria has done to "fuck the future of this team", signing Jansen and losing the 14th pick would rank like 20th.
            Especially when you consider that signing Jansen actually helps the future of the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
              Especially when you consider that signing Jansen actually helps the future of the team.
              Not to mention if we do fall apart, he could be traded to give us other pieces we can rebuild with.

---

Clark Spencer is saying payroll could go up to $115M this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                Not to mention if we do fall apart, he could be traded to give us other pieces we can rebuild with.
                Yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking.

Comment

• Guess Jeff is talking contracts. We are in on both closers(Likely to get 1) but holdup is opt out clauses AND option years. He does NOT wanna go 5 years

Guys he really might be selling!!!

Comment

• Why would he care about 5 years if he was selling?

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                      Why would he care about 5 years if he was selling?
                      He wants 2 or 3 yr deals with opt outs. They want 5 yr deals

Comment

• Looks like it will be Jansen for us. Just like people said Chapman wants to much 6 yrs 110+ he asked for

Jansen 5/80 or so then they have some cash to throw around still. What is the payroll right now-did Lou put it up yet??

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/co...miami-marlins/

Year 25-man Opening Day 40-man Year End (rank)
                        2016 $ 74,364,500 $ ( )
                        2015 $ 69,031,500 $ 63,096,627 (30)
                        2014 $ 45,825,400 $ 52,518,799 (30)
                        2013 $ 50,526,900 $ 42,301,773 (29)
                        2012 $101,628,000 $ 89,875,132 (18) Only year we did't end the season in Bottom 5
                        2011 $ 57,695,000 $ 61,940,280 (25)
                        2010 $ 47,429,719 $ 47,331,979 (28)
                        2009 $ 36,834,000 $ 37,532,482 (30)
                        2008 $ 21,811,500 $ 27,003,450 (30)
                        2007 $ 30,507,000 $ 33,072,472 (29)
                        2006 $ 14,998,500 $ 21,124,332 (30)

Also as a small market team we got $35,000,000 from other teams

- - - - - - - - - -

Looks like plan is Jansen,Fister,backup C(Ellis/Navarro) and power bat that can hit LHP

Dangling DD and Hech to teams as well
                        Last edited by tjfla; 12-05-2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                          It's not a terrible idea to build a super bullpen if you're anticipating a mediocre to poor starting rotation. It's an interesting strategy.

That said I still don't like committing $10 million+ a year for many years to a closer. The value for them is inflated this offseason.
                          They let Rodney leave, right? Not saying he's epic or anything, but him in the 6th/7th, Ramos in the 8th, Chapman in the 9th would be a super pen. Right now it's just an above average pen.

And wouldn't it be fun if Capps were coming back to that kind of bullpen?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                          On the list of things Loria has done to "fuck the future of this team", signing Jansen and losing the 14th pick would rank like 20th.
                          Honestly, not even top 20.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                            They let Rodney leave, right? Not saying he's epic or anything, but him in the 6th/7th, Ramos in the 8th, Chapman in the 9th would be a super pen. Right now it's just an above average pen.

And wouldn't it be fun if Capps were coming back to that kind of bullpen?

- - - - - - - - - -

Honestly, not even top 20.
                            Rodney left cause of $$. On a big market team he is cheap but for us alot cheaper to use Steckenrider,Urena or some minor league FA and spend the cash on a bat

Wittgren,Ellington,Bearclaw in 6th/7th,Ramos 8th and Jansen in 9th isnt half bad

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              He wants 2 or 3 yr deals with opt outs. They want 5 yr deals
                              That's not an answer to my question.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                                Why would he care about 5 years if he was selling?
                                5 years = more overall money. A shorter term means lower overall money and a could mean a lower AAV while Loria has the team depending on how the contract is structured (aka the less he'd have to pay while having the team). Yes, he could backload it either way (and likely will), but at a lesser overall value/term, he could theoretically pay less in the first year before Loria sells.

Comment

Working...
                                X