Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    It's the drafting that has killed this team even more. Like beyond bad drafting. I read a story that we havent produced a major leaguer in the draft since 2013 when we drafted Riddle, Moran, and Trevor Williams. That's unbelievable.
    Well they have drafted talent. Problem is drugs/injuries or trading/giving it all away. Its like Stan Meek takes guys without even talking to them or doing background on before hand-he has spent early picks on guys who refused drug tests,spent big money on guys who can't pass the test when they do,taken arms that he had no clue had issues until they had to take the physical.

Then when they do get lucky they just trade it away for nothing

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
    AStros and Pirates reportedly agreed to deal. I really wanted Tucker.
    FAKE NEWS!!! Looks like deal is off for now

Comment

• wait, is Stan Meek still with the organization or no?

Comment

wait, is Stan Meek still with the organization or no?
        He is but Denbo is running the draft and his boss now. Actually is a good scout just terrible at doing the little things(checking medicals,background,finding out #) he does draft talent

Some examples are
        Andrew Toles(I think it was him)-Meek talks to the kids rep and gets a # so we draft him in like 4th Rd. The problem was Toles dad was the one making the decision and said NO he is going to Tennessee to play football and baseball.

Tyler Palmer(Same draft)-Meek takes him in Rd 3 only to find out like he punched thru glass and can't feel his hand anymore

Ben Deluzio-Took him in Rd 3 thinking he would sign. Only issue was Deluzio told teams he was going to FSU no matter what but Meek didnt realize this

Kolby Copeland-2nd Rd pick who looked solid. Only problem was he refused to take drug tests so kept getting suspended

Casey Soltis-5th Rd pick who couldnt pass a drug test

Then atleast 4 other guys who we drafted and were ready to sign only to find out they couldnt pass the physical and we said bye-Dustin Dickerson,Treinen,Krook,Jefferies

Its much like our IFA, we do pretty well for what we spend. That is why people are so pissed-imagine how much better we would be if we actually spent cash
        Last edited by tjfla; 01-10-2018, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• stan meek seems to be incompetent and shouldn't have a job at all given that information.

Comment

stan meek seems to be incompetent and shouldn't have a job at all given that information.
            HAHA he is like Mike Hill. They do a solid job in certain areas but aren't leaders and shouldnt be in charge of anything/make final decisions
            Last edited by tjfla; 01-10-2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

It's the drafting that has killed this team even more. Like beyond bad drafting. I read a story that we havent produced a major leaguer in the draft since 2013 when we drafted Riddle, Moran, and Trevor Williams. That's unbelievable.
              This team has drafted Giancarlo Stanton, Jose Fernandez, and Christian Yelich all in the last decade, none of them in the top 10. The volume hasn't been great, but I'd be curious to see how many teams have drafted a better trio in the same time period.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                This team has drafted Giancarlo Stanton, Jose Fernandez, and Christian Yelich all in the last decade, none of them in the top 10. The volume hasn't been great, but I'd be curious to see how many teams have drafted a better trio in the same time period.
                Not that it matters anymore....

Comment

They have been good for a few stars, and obviously those were good picks, but everything else about our drafting has been god awful.

Comment

• What’s killed this team is not understanding analytics.

- - - - - - - - - -

Drafting could’ve been better, but it hasn’t been terrible.

Comment

They have been good for a few stars, and obviously those were good picks, but everything else about our drafting has been god awful.
                      I think so much of the MLB draft is about luck anyway, but if you can draft three stars like that, you should be able to supplement the rest of your roster well enough to contend. Worse than their drafting, the Marlins biggest problem has been asset management. They tend to wait and sell low on players, or throw money at the wrong players.

- - - - - - - - - -

FWIW, Buster Olney made his list of top 10 players at every position. Ozuna was the top LF, with Yelich #2. Realmuto is the #3 catcher. Right fielders will come tomorrow, where Stanton will probably be #1.

It's depressing because Miami could end up trading away top four top 3 players at their position this offseason. Even more depressing, is their farm system will still probably be mediocre at best, and probably won't include a singe elite level prospect.

Comment

FWIW, Buster Olney made his list of top 10 players at every position. Ozuna was the top LF, with Yelich #2. Realmuto is the #3 catcher. Right fielders will come tomorrow, where Stanton will probably be #1.

It's depressing because Miami could end up trading away top four top 3 players at their position this offseason. Even more depressing, is their farm system will still probably be mediocre at best, and probably won't include a singe elite level prospect.
                        I think that is why you keep Yelich and Realmuto and build around them. Realmuto is an easy sign right now for a $50+ million deal. 3 years from free agency, he's only due $4+ in arbitration, good recent comp with Salvador Perez. It makes too much sense.

If they do trade them though, they will get bigger hauls than Stanton and Ozuna, and I'm not just saying that because the bar is low. Yelich is obviously the most valuable of the group with the contract. He would have to get the top 2-3 prospects in the system coming back, and Realmuto probably nets something above Ozuna as he is cheaper and has another year of control. The farm is probably in great shape if they are moved, including the returns from the laundry list of guys below.

It's so easy to me. They just need to trade now or during the season Castro, Bour, Straily, Barraclough, Conley, Urena, Dietrich, Rojas, Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa, etc., get 10-15 more guys from them, be aggressive as possible in international signings/low key waiver claims (this is how they got Cody Ross, etc.)/etc., have a good non-underslot draft in 2018, see how Alcantara/Guzman/Neidert/Sierra/Anderson/M. Gonzalez/Peters etc. develop this year, and get through the season.

Maybe it looks pretty good this time next year as that is a massive talent infusion of 30+ prospects once you include the Phelps/Ramos/Stanton/Ozuna/Gordon deals. I do understand there may not be the 3-4 top end prospects on paper in that group right now, but that might be ok? Who knows. Maybe Denbo is smarter than everyone.

And if all the young pitchers stink and look like 4/5s and relievers, you can still trade Yelich and Realmuto next offseason and see ya in 2022/2023 boys.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                          I think that is why you keep Yelich and Realmuto and build around them. Realmuto is an easy sign right now for a $50+ million deal. 3 years from free agency, he's only due $4+ in arbitration, good recent comp with Salvador Perez. It makes too much sense.

If they do trade them though, they will get bigger hauls than Stanton and Ozuna, and I'm not just saying that because the bar is low. Yelich is obviously the most valuable of the group with the contract. He would have to get the top 2-3 prospects in the system coming back, and Realmuto probably nets something above Ozuna as he is cheaper and has another year of control. The farm is probably in great shape if they are moved, including the returns from the laundry list of guys below.

It's so easy to me. They just need to trade now or during the season Castro, Bour, Straily, Barraclough, Conley, Urena, Dietrich, Rojas, Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa, etc., get 10-15 more guys from them, be aggressive as possible in international signings/low key waiver claims (this is how they got Cody Ross, etc.)/etc., have a good non-underslot draft in 2018, see how Alcantara/Guzman/Neidert/Sierra/Anderson/M. Gonzalez/Peters etc. develop this year, and get through the season.

Maybe it looks pretty good this time next year as that is a massive talent infusion of 30+ prospects once you include the Phelps/Ramos/Stanton/Ozuna/Gordon deals. I do understand there may not be the 3-4 top end prospects on paper in that group right now, but that might be ok? Who knows. Maybe Denbo is smarter than everyone.

And if all the young pitchers stink and look like 4/5s and relievers, you can still trade Yelich and Realmuto next offseason and see ya in 2022/2023 boys.
                          I agree, unless you get blown away by a deal, and the reported offers right now aren't even close IMO. Those guys are among the best at their position, and will probably continue to be for the next several years. Trading them simply to add a handful of mid rotation pitchers and replacement level position players doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Comment

• I just hope we truly commit to an entire tear down and rebuild, whether it is all done this offseason or by the deadline. IF a guy like Barraclough can get you something good, move him. Bour, Castro, Straily, Yelich, Realmuto, Ziegler, Tazawa, Prado, Dietrich, etc all should be gone. That is a ton of prospects we could add to the system, and hopefully we scout better than we have in previous years and pull the trigger on these moves and just do a full rebuild.

Comment

I just hope we truly commit to an entire tear down and rebuild, whether it is all done this offseason or by the deadline. IF a guy like Barraclough can get you something good, move him. Bour, Castro, Straily, Yelich, Realmuto, Ziegler, Tazawa, Prado, Dietrich, etc all should be gone. That is a ton of prospects we could add to the system, and hopefully we scout better than we have in previous years and pull the trigger on these moves and just do a full rebuild.
                              Why should Yelich and Realmuto be gone? You would really be content trading those guys for a package of guys that end up being inferior when they get to the majors? I agree with you that the rest should be gone because none of them are anything special and/or won't be here by the time they're ready to contend, but both of those players are young, cheap, and under control for a while. If you're not ready to compete by the last couple of years of their deals, you failed in your rebuild anyway. If you can land big time prospects, that's one thing. It doesn't sound like that is the case, though.

Comment

• They shouldn't be gone. It's a next year thing if their farm bombs this year. Unless they get an unicorn herschel walker trade of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X