Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for a team that has no money to spend, they are just so bad at spending money
    poop

Comment

• I mean, for any other team most of those contracts aren't bad for depth.

Phelps and Koehler are definitely good for that price range as solid #5s/swing men. Morris isn't bad as an okay 7th inning guy.

Dunn is arguably not bad considering he was one of the top LH RP two years running before last year, but the multi-year deal while in arbitration was dumb no matter how you turn it. Mathis is dumb. Ichiro is dumb from a baseball standpoint but there is the whole 3000 hits thing + another country's market that could make it a + financially?

Comment

• from Barry Jackson:

### We hear Jose Fernandez’s camp believes he could make $30 million annually as a free agent after 2018. The Marlins indicate they are no longer getting trade calls for him (that's fine with them). But they are resigned to losing him eventually.

If the Marlins are winning a lot and in serious contention the next two seasons, they could hold onto him through at least the midpoint of 2018. Otherwise, they figure to trade him within a year of free agency, perhaps after 2016 if this upcoming season is an unmitigated disaster. At $2.8 million, he remains a bargain for 2016.

Comment

• But it should result in more homers for the other Marlins — and, conversely, for opponents. Still, team president David Samson said analytical studies indicate that the changes could result in two to three more wins a season for the Marlins.

“I think, especially for our players who play 81 [home] games, the combination of lowering the fences and bringing the fences in will be a positive change,” Delorme said. “Everybody loves to see home runs and higher scores, so this should give [fans] the opportunity to see that.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ml...#storylink=cpy

I'm interested in seeing these "analytical studies."

And Marlins Park has been neutral, not pitcher friendly since they started playing there. The only thing the park has suppressed is home runs. Stop this narrative.
          Last edited by marlinsfan24; 01-27-2016, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Samson thinks analytics means his intuitions

Comment

• Fister signed a 1 year deal with the Astros. $7M guaranteed, with incentives that can bump it up to $12M.

Comment

• I'm still fine with passing on him

I'd rather go after Lincecum
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• If the Marlins don't add a Lincecum type starter or better I will be annoyed they didn't sign Fister for 1 year at that price.

Comment

• I just don't think Fister is better than any of our other options, nor do I think he has the potential to be.

After surgery, Lincecum does.
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                      I just don't think Fister is better than any of our other options, nor do I think he has the potential to be.

After surgery, Lincecum does.
                      Slightly agree. Lincecum's last full season in which he posted a positive WAR, and for that matter the last time he posted a WAR over 1, was 2011, Fister has had a positive WAR each of the last 3 seasons and a WAR above 4 in 14 and 13.

That said, Marlins need to be gambling on guys like Lincecum for the 3 spot and hope for a renaissance rather than trot out 3 4/5 types for the back end of the rotation.

Comment

• Braves have a workout with the Lazarito kid.

He won't but Jeff should really just pony up the 20-30 million it will take to sign him. If the kid doesn't work out o well but at least he can have an excuse to why he doesn't spend his IFA pool cash(Cause he cant for 3 years) and most fans and MLB people would get off his ass about it.

So in 5 years or whenever Stanton will get dealt he could have 21 yr old replacement ready and NOT have to ask for him in deals like he did with Moncada.

Comment

• Stanton can't/won't be dealt. He'll opt out. Big difference. We'll still lose him and we get the added bonus of nothing in return.

Comment

• I really don't see Stanton opting out of that deal unless he somehow is completely healthy over the next 4 years and is an MVP candidate in each of those years. That's just way too much guaranteed money to leave on the table.

Comment

• yeah, pretty low odds of an opt out

Comment

• Maybe my years are wrong but Harper will have already gone into his FA years by the time Stanton's opt-out comes due so the going rate for a corner OF will likely have grown exponentially. I'd say an opt out is still more likely than not, even if it means less annual average value it still likely means more total guaranteed.

Comment

Working...
                                X