Marlins Close To Signing Edinson Volquez to Two Year Deal worth 22 mil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    Do you add a bench or bullpen guy at all? Or just stick with what we have?

I saw a report today about Jansen and Chapman costing too much for us (which makes sense), but that we could instead be in on the cheaper Melancon, which I wouldn't mind.
    I just wish we had good young depth so we didnt have to be signing an entire bench of washed up guys but we dont really have that. I dont think we need another bullpen arm at all im not sure why it seems like we are interested in these high end closers. We have Barraclaugh, Ramos, Phelps/Koehler if they arent in the rotation, Wittgren who is underrated to me, Ellington, maybe Dunn. We could use a few additions but i'd rather convert former starters in the Phelps mode who might be better in the bullpen than sign high end closers. To me it's just not a good use of limited resources. Either adding to the rotation or just making some sort of big splash in the lineup in free agency would be better uses of the money than adding a closer.

But looking at the numbers i'd be thrilled with adding Melancon if he is significantly cheaper than Chapman and Jensen. I have the feeling Melancon is going to get a very big contract and i just dont like paying relievers that much.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      I just wish we had good young depth so we didnt have to be signing an entire bench of washed up guys but we dont really have that. I dont think we need another bullpen arm at all im not sure why it seems like we are interested in these high end closers. We have Barraclaugh, Ramos, Phelps/Koehler if they arent in the rotation, Wittgren who is underrated to me, Ellington, maybe Dunn. We could use a few additions but i'd rather convert former starters in the Phelps mode who might be better in the bullpen than sign high end closers. To me it's just not a good use of limited resources. Either adding to the rotation or just making some sort of big splash in the lineup in free agency would be better uses of the money than adding a closer.

But looking at the numbers i'd be thrilled with adding Melancon if he is significantly cheaper than Chapman and Jensen. I have the feeling Melancon is going to get a very big contract and i just dont like paying relievers that much.
      Agreed on the depth part.

I think the interest in closers comes more from the lack of real strength on the starting pitching market. And by that I mean, they'd have an average rotation, while building a "super" bullpen that would pick up the slack of the average rotation. I wish we would've signed another pitcher last year. I do have to imagine Chen will be better in 2017 though.

What splash would they make in the lineup? There's not really anywhere to make such a splash....I mean Encarnacion would be about it no? I don't know who else is out there that'd represent an upgrade over what we have.

I like the idea of Napoli, but he's reportedly looking for a 3 year deal now. I'd like the idea of Holliday still as a platoon guy with Bour/spot outfield starter/bench bat if he's willing to take that role (same as I'd say for Napoli too, but I don't know if Napoli is worth 3 years.

---

On an overall note, I still kinda think Loria is in "go for it" mode with the All-Star game, and could be willing to spend more than normal. Because it could take 2 routes - 1) it doesn't work, he retains ownership, and he blows it up so he won't have to pay, or 2) he sells and could care less about future payroll commitments.

Comment

I think our rotation actually has a chance of being pretty solid if we sign a guy like Hammel.

Volquez
        Conley
        Chen
        Hammel
        Koehler

Not great, but no complete holes. Granted, im higher on Conley than a lot of other people. I think he is definitely a number 3 at worst and a possible solid #2. And i also think Chen will bounce back. Ok, im just a homer, but still, not terrible, and it would allow us to keep our lineup intact.

Comment

I would say Hammel + Holiday are pretty good adds if you get them at this point. I'd rather add through free agency then trade from the core, unless it's for a guy like Bauer, since moving Ozuna would take away from the Marlins only real offensive weakness, which is hitting for power. A decent pitcher isn't going to be so decent when he can't get any run support.

And don't act like there isn't a way for this team to compete in 2017. This team will be in the same mix of clubs for the Wild Card like last season. Outside of the Cubs and Nats, the NL is pretty open.

Comment

Am I the only one completely whatever about this? I mean, yeah, he's probably going to be better than Nicolino or what have you. But he has a career ERA+ of 90 and in the rare times he has a good era, his peripherals still lag behind

Adding another #5 doesn't really do much

Comment

watched the press conference and Mike Hill called him Edison 100% of the time. Hasn't been his name in like 10 years
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                Am I the only one completely whatever about this? I mean, yeah, he's probably going to be better than Nicolino or what have you. But he has a career ERA+ of 90 and in the rare times he has a good era, his peripherals still lag behind

Adding another #5 doesn't really do much
                You're not the only one, but he does eat innings. The contract also isn't holding the team back long term.

I think the fact that he can regularly go 6 innings makes him a 4 rather than a 5, but your point is correct. It's why I've said before that Volquez signed alone doesn't change the team. They still need to sign somebody like Fister and make an Ozuna or Ramos trade to get a real top end starter.

I'm high on the move because of the low risk nature of it. I'm always positive about moves that if they don't work out, no harm no foul. I don't think people should rationally expect the Marlins to be able to compete in 2017 anyway.

Comment

The deal is structured $9M in 2017 and $13M in 2018, so somewhat backloaded.

Comment

I like the signing but if he's the best pitcher the Marlins acquire in the off season we're fucked.

Comment

Yeah, we definitely need more than just him. If he's one piece of a bigger puzzle, I like the move.

Comment

So $9 mil and $13 mil is the breakdown. 2018 is gonna get reeeeeeeeeeeeeeal expensive. $82 million guaranteed to 6 players (Stanton, Volquez, Prado, Yelich, Chen, Gordon).

Yelich's money will double, Dee goes over $10, Stanton over $25, and Chen doubles too. Crazy thing is, even with those bumps, not a single person is grossly overpaid. And assuming production doesn't fall off a cliff, Yelich, Gordon, Chen are all arguably bargains.

So figure either team is sold after the ASG, or team is fire sold.

Comment

thing is though that's not real expensive. only for us.
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Sell ��
                            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                              So $9 mil and $13 mil is the breakdown. 2018 is gonna get reeeeeeeeeeeeeeal expensive. $82 million guaranteed to 6 players (Stanton, Volquez, Prado, Yelich, Chen, Gordon).

Yelich's money will double, Dee goes over $10, Stanton over $25, and Chen doubles too. Crazy thing is, even with those bumps, not a single person is grossly overpaid. And assuming production doesn't fall off a cliff, Yelich, Gordon, Chen are all arguably bargains.

So figure either team is sold after the ASG, or team is fire sold.
                              lol ya, there is nothing real expensive about that unless youre looking through a marlins filter, which unfortunately we have to do. Yelich is going to have some of the highest trade value in the league given another year or 2. The contract we locked him up for is probably 100 million less than he could have gotten if he signed for the same amount of years on the open market now. Stanton's contract will almost always depend on if he is healthy. IF he stays healthy he is worth around what he will make. Dee is a huge question mark, but i think he will be worth the money from a leadership standpoint and from the standpoint of me believing he is closer to what he was for us in his first year than the disaster that was last year. But he will probably be closer to the middle, and from a 2b, he's worth that money.

IDK why but i'm weirdly confident in Chen coming back and being what he proved he was at the start of his career consistently with Baltimore. And if he can come back and be just that it would be enormous for us for both all around rotation reasons and salary reasons.

I'm so tired of looking through every move from a Marlins clouded perspective rather than the perspective of a team who was gifted a new stadium with tax payer dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                                thing is though that's not real expensive. only for us.
                                Yep. Although to be fair, 81 million guaranteed with 19 roster spots to fill means it's probably (assuming competitive intention) a $120-ish million payroll which should be top-10 in the league.

Comment

Working...
                                X