Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what a fucking abysmal strike zone tonight

Comment

• 10 of our last 19 games are against the Phillies and Braves.

Could work out very well for the Marlins

or

Be prime for LOLMarlins

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
        I totally feel you with this post but what if it's real nip and tuck and Jose's starts are tracking in a way that he is scheduled to pitch the last day of the season and we need to win that game to get into the play in game?

Though I'd legit put Jose out there are 3 days rest if we're in that situation. Then again for the WC game. Then he can start the playoffs for us. Just break him during the playoffs, win a world series on his back, and trade him this offseason to sit on someone else's DL.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
          IMO if it you're in the race, you schedule Jose so he'd pitch that game. The outcome of that game decides everything. One game itself doesn't before that, it's a cumulative outcome. Losing a game isn't a death knell because there's so many other factors.

Anything can happen once you're in the playoffs. Look at Jeff Weaver in 2006. And I think you're sleeping on Conley too much Swift. I mean, yeah he's probably the worst #2 out of the teams qualifying right now but he's still good.

We would be far from the favorites, but getting there is the big part. And with how good our bullpen is and how many rest days there are, the starters would not need to go deep into games at all. This is especially good when running out someone like Koehler, who's goign to struggle more times through the line up
          I really like Conley's stuff. I don't really like Conley's approach (yet). He nibbles a lot. That doesn't generally work in the playoffs. And the bullpen isn't strong enough to take a 5 inning start well. It wrecks games 3 and 4 and probably game 2.

To me Conley (right now) is the ideal 3/4 guy in a playoff rotation because if he's "on" he can win the game for you and if he's off, he's backed up by your ace anyway so the bullpen damage is minimized.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
            Just get in, weird shit happens in October, we know that better than any fans.
            Yea. They pretty much won the world series with Josh Beckett and serviceable innings elsewhere, so yea. Just get in and pitch Jose until his arm falls off. Especially since he isn't here in 2 years, as sad as that is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
              I really like Conley's stuff. I don't really like Conley's approach (yet). He nibbles a lot. That doesn't generally work in the playoffs. And the bullpen isn't strong enough to take a 5 inning start well. It wrecks games 3 and 4 and probably game 2.

To me Conley (right now) is the ideal 3/4 guy in a playoff rotation because if he's "on" he can win the game for you and if he's off, he's backed up by your ace anyway so the bullpen damage is minimized.
              I definitely don't disagree on ideal, but him at #2 is fine. The bigger problem is if the other guys are putting up mid to higher 4 ERAs.

And the Royals have lived with starters only going 4-5 IP in the playoffs. With all the rest days, there really isn't much of an issue only getting that many IP from a starter. Especially before changing cities, just throw the pen out there and let them rest for a couple of days

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                I definitely don't disagree on ideal, but him at #2 is fine. The bigger problem is if the other guys are putting up mid to higher 4 ERAs.

And the Royals have lived with starters only going 4-5 IP in the playoffs. With all the rest days, there really isn't much of an issue only getting that many IP from a starter. Especially before changing cities, just throw the pen out there and let them rest for a couple of days
                The Royals won a world series with an all time great bullpen. This Marlins bullpen isn't even close.

Comment

• I'd put the marlins up against anybody if they had a #2 and an adequate platoon partner with Bour if they insist on sitting him vs lefties. This are 2 huge holes though that might not even allow us to make the playoffs.

Comment

• They lost the WS with their all-time great BP. They won it with a worse one. And without an ace and with a worse offense than the fish. And they weren't the only one pulling their SP early, most of the playoffs was teams pulling their SP before they completed 6 IP.

Having Bearclaw or Ellington or Wittgren or whoever out for your 6th inning and possibly 5th inning is going to be better than any SP not named Jose or Conley when he's not off, and the Marlins pen is deeper than any other NL team

- - - - - - - - - -

And to be clear, I'm not saying they should be the favorites (or close to it). I'm saying anything can happen in the playoffs, and their strengths at least play well once their.

Comment

• Well yeah, I agree that anything can happen in a 7 game series, but you can't realistically expect a team with as many flaws as this one to do a whole lot.

Comment

• Long, quiet flight to Colorado. I don't think we need to spend too much time debating our chances in the playoffs. This team will very likely be a .500 club in a few weeks.

Comment

• Marlins were 53-0 this season heading into the 9th with the lead before today.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                            Marlins were 53-0 this season heading into the 9th with the lead before today.
                            I guess we were due for one. Awful loss but still plenty of ball left.

Comment

• Ya idk about the whole .500 team thing, that's a bit far. These games suck but i'd say we've won more games we should have blown then lost games we should have won, and I can't say that about many marlins seasons. Long way to go and the schedule loosens up a bit some and Bour should be back finally by Friday, which is a huge boost to the team. First time since April everyone is healthy and available.

- - - - - - - - - -

Games like today happen, but we lost 3 to the Cubs at Wrigley, so its not the end of the world. Dee gordon has come back on fire, btw. Cool to see.

- - - - - - - - - -

not sure why I've gone from reactionary to super patient.

Comment

• The schedule loosens up against Colorado who have won 8 of their last 10.

/DebbieDowner

Comment

Working...
                                X