Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't really understand dumping Salty 'or' Jones.

1b and C are kind of vastly different positions. And, I mean, worse come worse, Bour or Dietrich could step up and be okay at 1B. We don't really have that at C. There's also several 1B FA. What C is there?

Comment

• Jhonatan Solano

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        36 games started vs. LHP last season.
        Marlins started Jones in 25% of our games vs LHP last year. That's pretty scary.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
          Boston has a lot of stuff.
          Not a cheap option, considering he makes 16m, but I wonder if Mike Napoli could be had. Gives a guy behind Stanton and is a very good fielding 1B. 33 next year on just a 1 year contract. And possibly get a comp pick for him?

5 WAR per 650 PA past two years. I wouldn't trade a package with Heaney for just him - if Heaney goes, we need at least something that will be sticking around for awhile. But I wonder if we could stack arms that aren't going to be breaking our rotation/BP anyway (or free up room with stuff like Cishek and Dunn).

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
            I don't really understand dumping Salty 'or' Jones.

1b and C are kind of vastly different positions. And, I mean, worse come worse, Bour or Dietrich could step up and be okay at 1B. We don't really have that at C. There's also several 1B FA. What C is there?
            Because it clears $13 million, they can sign a 1 year catcher for way less (Piersynski? Soto?) and probably not embarrass themselves, and bank on Realmuto coming up in July.

Worth the $10 million they now can spend on whatever else right?

Comment

• I'm fine dumping salty.

The way tj posts is that we're looking to dump salty or jones. Dump both is fine with me, but dumping salty and then saying 'we don't need to dump jones now' is moronic.

But as Mainge told me, it's tj, so yeah

Comment

• Can we please not talk about Ubaldo Jimenez?

He's got a 4.43 ERA since starting the All-Star game that one year he was good.
                poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                  If this whole "hard-throwing GB pitchers" thing is actually a plan and not just a happy accident they stumbled on with Cosart and Alvarez, I can't think of a better possible use of this money than on Headley at 3rd base. Would be one of the best left sides in baseball, and would just further serve to maximize the value of these pitchers.

It's not gonna happen.
                  I highly doubt that this franchise thinks about the GB pitchers thing. I do believe that they like hard-throwers. As a matter of fact, I think it's been said that the reason why Stanton is often playing in right-center field is because the front office feels like it's harder to pull the ball with hard-throwers on the mound. That seems to be the only thing that's different about this front office from an analytical standpoint (not even sure if that's true, but it's something they believe in).

Comment

• @ChrisCotillo: Per @nickcafardo, #RedSox offer to Lester was for six years, $110-120 million.
                    Twitter

Umm.. I think we can match that. Lester>Shields if they cost the same.

Comment

• I think Lester would be worth the money.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                        CBS projected all the top guys. The rough numbers are:

Tier 1
                        Max - 7/$175
                        Lester - 6/$125-150
                        Hanley - 5/$100
                        Shields - 5/$100
                        Panda - 5/$95
                        Tomas - 7-8/$93-100

2nd Tier
                        E. Santana - 4/$50
                        Cruz - 3/$50
                        Liriano - 3/$40
                        Headley - big range of thoughts 1/$10, 3/$36, 4/$52
                        McCarthy - 3/$35
                        Volquez - 3-4/$36-48
                        Lowrie - 3/$28
                        Hammel - 3/$28
                        A. Cabrera - 3/$30
                        LaRoche - 2/$25
                        Peavy - 2/$25
                        Morse - 2/$20

3rd Tier (it trails off bad here, but to mention notables)
                        R. Weeks - 2/$10
                        Bonifacio - 2/$7
                        B. Anderson - 1/$6
                        J. Johnson - 1/$4

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...-they-will-get
                        I could see this team bringing back Bonifacio to be the every day 2B.
                        The only thing stopping that from happening is that they seem to hate everything about the 2012 team.
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                        LaRoche is going to be 35 and is already not an everyday player. He could turn into full-blown Garret Jones any minute.

If the other options are out the window and it's a short deal then okay, but there's a chance he's not good. He's already had one season that should make you raise your eyebrows.
                        Not that I really care for Adam LaRoche, but he's definitely a much better option than Jones.

Just last year, he had an .891 .OPS against right-handed pitching with a 67/65 BB/K. He's got a pretty safe floor against right-handed pitching. LaRoche/Baker platoon would be well above average production, imo.
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by nny View Post
                        I'm still on the Mike Morse bandwagon.

-two years younger
                        -lot cheaper
                        -every day player, hits both hands at very similar clips
                        -his WAR looks terrible because he's a bad fielding OF. He's rather close to average at 1B. If you assume those defensive numbers and he played only 1B last year, he'd have been 2 WAR in limited PA (2.7 WAR at 650 PA). 1.6 WAR/2.4 WAR per 650 PA in 2012.

He was super bad in 2013, but the only bad peripheral he had then was an incredibly low BABIP. I definitely think he can be a ~110-120 OPS+ bat for us the next couple years.
                        I like this idea. He'd probably be much cheaper too since the perception is that he's so much worse defensively.
                        Last edited by Erick; 11-19-2014, 05:18 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                          I could see this team bringing back Bonifacio to be the every day 2B.
                          The only thing stopping that from happening is that they seem to hate everything about the 2012 team.
                          --------------------

Not that I really care for Adam LaRoche, but he's definitely a much better option than Jones.

Just last year, he had an .891 .OPS against right-handed pitching with a 67/65 BB/K. He's got a pretty safe floor against right-handed pitching. LaRoche/Baker platoon would be well above average production, imo.
                          --------------------

I like this idea. He'd probably be much cheaper too since the perception is that he's so much worse defensively.
                          Isn't Laroche considered a pretty good fielding/defensive first baseman too?

How does he compare to Jones?

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            Isn't Laroche considered a pretty good fielding/defensive first baseman too?

How does he compare to Jones?
                            The perception is that he's smooth at 1B but the #'s say he's terrible.

By the way, in regards to James Shields, I would rather spend the money on two second-tier free agent pitchers instead of committing to Shields long-term.

Comment

• The team should just forgo the pitcher and sign Headley and Hanley. Headley plays third, Hanley first. That would help the team more than a James Shields.

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                                The team should just forgo the pitcher and sign Headley and Hanley. Headley plays third, Hanley first. That would help the team more than a James Shields.
                                We still need pitching if we're going to compete next year. Jose is going to miss 3+ months. The rotation has a lot of question marks.

Comment

Working...
                                X