Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Have Offered Jose Fernandez 6 Years Close to $40MM

http://tinyurl.com/mefs959

I'd guess if they went up to 6/$55, Jose would sign.

Something like 1-4-8-12-15-15.

6/$40 seems really low.
    poop

Comment

$40 mil is kinda funny.

Comment

I mean, Bumgarner signed 5/35 + $12m options after his third season, so it's not unreasonable.
        poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          I'd guess if they went up to 6/$55, Jose would sign.

Something like 1-4-8-12-15-15.

6/$40 seems really low.
          Not really low on the comps. In fact, I think it's a great deal for Fernandez during an injury. Bumgarner had more service time when he signed this (albeit, less dominant than Fernandez even if Bumgarner still great)

Madison Bumgarner lhp
          5 years/$35M (2013-17), plus 2018-19 options
          signed extension with San Francisco 4/17/12
          $1M signing bonus
          13:$0.75M, 14:$3.75M, 15:$6.75M, 16:$9.75M, 17:$11.5M, 18:$12M club option ($1.5M buyout), 19:$12M club option

Alternatively, Strausburg basically got $4 million coming back from TJ surgery in arb 1, so let's just say he makes another $16 in arb2 and arb3 combined (which is very fair unless he goes Kluber on everyone next year).

So in the Fernandez deal, he's basically giving the Marlins 2 low cost free agency years at half rate in comparison to his injury - which is a big gamble for the franchise despite recent TJ surgery successes.

I think if this is true, very respectable offer. Throw in an extra $5-7 million, and get a team option at like $15-18 a year with a $2-3 buyout, and that is the highest value contract ever for a pitcher with his service time. Seriously.
          --------------------
          Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          I mean, Bumgarner signed 5/35 + $12m options after his third season, so it's not unreasonable.
          Didn't see you post this, but yes.

It's very fair. It's a good deal both sides, but I think it's reasonable for Fernandez to ask for a bit more based on his upside - which is Kershaw - even despite the injury.

If the Marlins are not worried about the injury, would be a tremendous tremendous win.

Now do Yelich too!
          Last edited by lou; 12-01-2014, 01:33 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
            Not really low on the comps. In fact, I think it's a great deal for Fernandez during an injury. Bumgarner had more service time when he signed this (albeit, less dominant than Fernandez even if Bumgarner still great)

Madison Bumgarner lhp
            5 years/$35M (2013-17), plus 2018-19 options
            signed extension with San Francisco 4/17/12
            $1M signing bonus
            13:$0.75M, 14:$3.75M, 15:$6.75M, 16:$9.75M, 17:$11.5M, 18:$12M club option ($1.5M buyout), 19:$12M club option

Alternatively, Strausburg basically got $4 million coming back from TJ surgery in arb 1, so let's just say he makes another $16 in arb2 and arb3 combined (which is very fair unless he goes Kluber on everyone next year).

So in the Fernandez deal, he's basically giving the Marlins 2 low cost free agency years at half rate in comparison to his injury - which is a big gamble for the franchise despite recent TJ surgery successes.

I think if this is true, very respectable offer. Throw in an extra $5-7 million, and get a team option at like $15-18 a year with a $2-3 buyout, and that is the highest value contract ever for a pitcher with his service time. Seriously.
            --------------------

Didn't see you post this, but yes.

It's very fair. It's a good deal both sides, but I think it's reasonable for Fernandez to ask for a bit more based on his upside - which is Kershaw - even despite the injury.

If the Marlins are not worried about the injury, would be a tremendous tremendous win.

Now do Yelich too!
            The article says they're working on Yelich too. It says they've offered close to a Starlin Marte deal, with slightly less $$.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
              The article says they're working on Yelich too. It says they've offered close to a Starlin Marte deal, with slightly less $$.
              That would be an incredible deal, seems low to me but Marte is a pretty good comp with those double 4 WAR seasons on his record.

Even $40-45 would be great for Yelich realistically (McCutchen and J. Upton come in low-mid 50s, etc., so that's the upper register)

Comment

Would be a great deal for both sides I think, he'd still hit FA at a prime time in his career (insert joke about turning 40 in 6 years)
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Joe Frisaro @JoeFrisaro
                  From what I've heard, chances are remote deals will be reached on Yelich, Hechavarria, Fernandez before #WinterMeetings #Marlins
                  If that's the case, then I imagine they will go for a big trade of some sort at the meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                    If that's the case, then I imagine they will go for a big trade of some sort at the meetings.
                    How do you think these are related? I view them as independent. They aren't trading those guys because they aren't signing? You think, hey we signed James Shields, you should stay here? Kind of feel different issues as these deals won't impact 2015 payroll, this is for savings 2017+

Plus, the Marlins just need to add a few bucks and those will get done for Fernandez and Yelich. Both are worth getting 2-3 free agency years easily and crazy to not sign given they have made -0- real dollars and a full year from arbitration (I believe two for yelich as he isnt gonna be a super 2). Let alone the TJ for Fernandez.

This reminds me of the JJ contract where they offered something crazy (reportedly) in the 3/$26 vein, when it was obvious he was going to get the Greinke contract in the 4years /low $40s range. Ultimately, thats the deal JJ got. I have no problem with a realistic "low ball" (and using Bum and marte as comps isnt crazy), and then bumping it up thereafter. Still a business.

Comment

I still highly doubt Fernandez gets done.

What's the last premium Boras agent to sign an extension? Let alone this early in the career
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

"We'll get it done. We'll get it done with Scott, too."

I like Dan Jennings

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post

What's the last premium Boras agent to sign an extension? Let alone this early in the career
                          Carlos Gonzalez, I think.
                          poop

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                            How do you think these are related? I view them as independent. They aren't trading those guys because they aren't signing? You think, hey we signed James Shields, you should stay here? Kind of feel different issues as these deals won't impact 2015 payroll, this is for savings 2017+

Plus, the Marlins just need to add a few bucks and those will get done for Fernandez and Yelich. Both are worth getting 2-3 free agency years easily and crazy to not sign given they have made -0- real dollars and a full year from arbitration (I believe two for yelich as he isnt gonna be a super 2). Let alone the TJ for Fernandez.

This reminds me of the JJ contract where they offered something crazy (reportedly) in the 3/$26 vein, when it was obvious he was going to get the Greinke contract in the 4years /low $40s range. Ultimately, thats the deal JJ got. I have no problem with a realistic "low ball" (and using Bum and marte as comps isnt crazy), and then bumping it up thereafter. Still a business.
                            I don't think you understood what I meant. I was saying that they are locking up their core guys and will feel more comfortable moving prospects after doing so to add a solid piece.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post

I think it's pretty bad advice to tell a kid who has escaped from Cuba with a major arm surgery and only looking at a $4 million tender (Strausburg comp) in arb 1 based on lack of playing time, to not take say $45+ million guaranteed for 2 free agency years, when the alternative is won't make any real money until February 2017 in the arb2 hearing. Worth gambling the kids future on? One more arm injury in 2 seasons, where he has a ton of rehab, and it's over. Still a free agent in prime years to massively cash in.

That's some ballsy advice right there.
                              --------------------
                              Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                              I don't think you understood what I meant. I was saying that they are locking up their core guys and will feel more comfortable moving prospects after doing so to add a solid piece.
                              Gotcha. Still not sure they are all dependent on one another, but certainly if they sign/trade for some extra SP, Heaney/Eovaldi/Koehler guys become expendable quick.
                              Last edited by lou; 12-01-2014, 05:44 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                              X