• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jupiter: Ryan Newell, RHP

Discuss

http://baseballprospectnation.com/20...tes-edition-3/

Newell Not Short on Stuff
    Every draft has players that fly under the radar despite impressive stuff, and one of this year’s versions is Shorter College right-hander Ryan Newell. Playing for a small college in Georgia, Newell brings big time stuff to the table.

Multiple scouts over the last few days have reported seeing him work his fastball up to 96-97 mph this spring. He has also consistently showed a slider in the 86-88 mph range with impressive tight spin and tilt. He tries to round his arsenal out with a splitter in the mid-80s, but he lacks a consistent release point and the pitch needs some work.

Newell posted a 9-3 record, 3.01 ERA and 108 strikeouts this spring. His big time stuff and impressive statistics have him moving up draft boards and could have teams being aggressive with him in the top three or four rounds in a couple of weeks. Scouts are split on his projection as a starter or reliever, but he will be given a chance to start upon arrival in pro ball.

Intriguing

Comment

Somewhere, lodged deep down inside of most elite collegiate athletes, is a burning desire to reach the next level and realize that childhood dream of becoming a professional athlete.

For Shorter’s Ryan Newell, that dream has taken one giant step towards becoming reality.

The Hawks’ junior hurler was selected by the Miami Marlins with the 227th overall pick in the seventh round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft on Tuesday afternoon. Newell, a 6-2 righty out of Marietta, becomes the 17th draft pick in program history and the first since pitcher Cliff Flagello was taken by the Baltimore Orioles in 2007.

“This is very exciting,” said Shorter head coach Matt Larry, who has seen two players drafted in his tenure on the coaching staff at Shorter – Flagello and outfielder Marc Brzozoski in 1995. “I am so happy for Ryan and with all he accomplished this year, he is very deserving of a pick in one of the top rounds.

“It’ll be sad to see him go because he was such a force in our rotation, but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

“It was an amazing feeling,” said Newell about seeing his name flash across the screen while watching draft coverage from his home in Marietta. “My friends and I went crazy, but I didn’t know I was drafted until I heard my mom scream.”

Newell picked up second team All-Southern States Athletic Conference honors in this, his only season with the Hawks. He went 9-4 with a 3.53 ERA and his mid-90s fastball coupled with a knee buckling slider made him a strikeout machine – Newell fanned 110 batters in 81.2 innings and his 12.12 strikeouts per nine innings ranked third in the NAIA.

Newell won his first seven starts of the season and struck out double-digit batters in four of his 14 appearances. He sat down a career high 14 in a win over Emmanuel on March 3 and opposing batters hit just .167 against the hard-throwing Newell, a statistic that ranked No. 2 in the country along with his 5.18 hits allowed per nine.

Newell was the second pitcher taken by the Marlins, who selected lefthander Andrew Heaney out of Oklahoma State with the ninth overall pick. The Marlins selected three shortstops and a pair of outfielders before tapping Newell at 227. Miami selected Newell ahead of two other Division I arms – Drew Steckenrider (257) of the University of Tennessee and Nicholas Wittgren (287) of Purdue University – through 320 picks at the time of this article’s release.

The pick comes after a whirlwind couple of weeks for Newell, who worked out for several organizations in the days leading up to the draft.

Newell threw for the Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals and Arizona Diamondbacks and even flew out to Anaheim, Calif., to work out for the Anaheim Angels in their own backyard.

“The experience [of the past couple weeks] was once in a lifetime and I was just taking it all in and enjoying it,” said Newell. “That was my plan from the beginning of the season – I wanted to work hard, try my best to help our team win and see where that would lead me.”

Apparently, Newell’s hard work led to a chance at realizing a dream.

The Marlins are scheduled to contact Newell on Tuesday night to discuss his initial destination and timeline for arrival.

“I couldn’t be happier for Ryan and his family,” added Larry. “It is a proud moment for them.”
      http://goshorterhawks.com/sports/m-b...es/060612draft
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Signed for slot which is $147,600

@KendallRogersPG marlins 7th rd pick Ryan Newell signed for slot plus college
        https://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG

Comment

227) Ryan Newell, RHP, Miami Marlins: Slot bonus from NAIA school, throws hard and keeps the ball down but otherwise quite raw, 4.91 ERA with 21/22 K/BB in 22 innings between GCL and NY-P. 2.64 GO/AO.
          http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...h-round-update
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

he's doing pretty well through 7 innings tonight

Comment

Is that a no hit thing?

Comment

it WAS, but he lost it in the 8th inning. probably cause of you

8 IP, 1 H, 5 K, 1 BB

So far this season at Batavia, 10 GS, 4-2, 1.81 ERA, 53 K/12 BB in 59 innings

Also though he's 22

Comment

Sorry ry guy

Comment

Working...
                  X