Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia, 3/$21M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia, 3/$21M

Deal is official, $6-$7-$8 yearly breakdown, no NTC.

Odds he's traded by year 3?
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
    Deal is official, $6-$7-$8 yearly breakdown, no NTC.

By year 3? I'm still trying to decide if he'll be here after the first year lol.

More seriously, though, I like the signing. Not that I know much, but his numbers are far better than anything we've gotten at the position in years, and it seems (in theory) that his swing could be a nice fit for Marlins Park.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      So I just did a quick look to see the last time we signed a prominent position player (so starter, doesn't include the Wes Helms/Ross Gloads/Greg Dobbs "veteran leadership give them several million dollars and multi year contracts to hit .500 OPS") to a multi-year contract/extension and the player actually played out the contract rather than be traded.

It's happened once in our history by my quick go-through.

Benito Santiago's 2 year contract from 1993-1994.

I imagine pitchers are no different.

Comment

Can't wait to see the A league pitcher we trade him for next November.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
          So I just did a quick look to see the last time we signed a prominent position player (so starter, doesn't include the Wes Helms/Ross Gloads/Greg Dobbs "veteran leadership give them several million dollars and multi year contracts to hit .500 OPS") to a multi-year contract/extension and the player actually played out the contract rather than be traded.

Pavano comes to mind but can't think of any other hitters
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw2HtRQ2U8Y[/ame]

Comment

At the very least, he should work out better than the last player we had from a ghetto-as-fuck Palm Beach high school.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Hey Chewie...

Spoiler:
                [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Ua7yJhdcA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Ua7yJhdcA[/ame]

Comment

I actually feel this is a contract that even Loria won't think of trading. The only situation I see him traded is if he performs over his head and the front office can get double his value in a trade back.

Comment

We gave Fuck Buck a 3yr deal too. I feel Salty will work out better lol

Comment

I like.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
                        We gave Fuck Buck a 3yr deal too. I feel Salty will work out better lol
                        Buck was also older with significantly more wear on his body and was never had one year with a WAR over 1 compared to Salty's 3 (BR numbers)

Comment

Woah. You guys are still here.

Average signing for an average team. Great signing for the Miami Baseball Marlins.
                          Christian Yelich
                          LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
                          12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
                          100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
                          .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

Bucklin's back!

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post

Off the top of my head the only pitcher of "star" quality signed as a FA to a deal of 3 years or more that saw that deal to its completion with the Marlins was Alex Fernandez, and he gets an asterisk due to serious injury.

Here are the FA's I can think of: Leiter, Alou, Brown, Fernandez, Bonilla, White, Charles Johnson (reunion tour) Delgado, Buck, Reyes, Bell, Buehrle.

Big contracts (to club players) Sheffield, Floyd, Preston Wilson, Lowell, Castillo, Lo Duca, Nolasco, Hanley, Josh Johnson.

So, yeah...

EDIT: if you include assuming big money on a multi-year commitment you can include Pierre, Pavano, Encarnacion (twice!), Conine and Sheffield. That list at least lets you add Pavano, Encarnacion (twice!) Conine and technically Sheffield as players that saw those to completion.
                              Last edited by Swifty; 12-05-2013, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X