X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He signed with Scott Boras.

Comment

• Per JCR/Sun Sentinel:

Marlins top prospect Jose Fernandez tossed two scoreless innings in a 'B' game against the St. Louis Cardinals Thursday morning.

“It’s not really a big deal," Fernandez said. "It’s just pitching. It doesn’t matter where. I’m just trying to go out there and do the best I can. I enjoy it. Pitching is what I like to do. It’s amazing to be out there pitching for the Marlins.”

Fernandez was a little amazed when Mike Redmond, the Marlins' manager and a former big league catcher, went out to catch a few warm up tosses while Wilfredo Gimenez was putting on his gear.

"I was like, ‘Hopefully I don’t throw it down,” he said.

Fernandez was unsure when he'd pitch again and if that opportunity would come in a Grapefruit League game. Thursday, he did face at least one 'A' player in veteran shortstop Rafael Furcal, who grounded into a double play.

“The count was 2-2," Fernandez said. "The pitch before I threw him a curve for a strike then I threw him a changeup and he fouled it off so he was thinking maybe I was going to go with something low in the dirt. He wasn’t waiting for that fastball inside I think. I made a good pitch in good location and got the double play.”

After the outing, Fernandez confirmed an MLB.com report that super agent Scott Boras now represents him.

"He’s the best around," Fernandez said. "It’s been good being with him. He called me. We sat down before and we talked a lot. I like the way he goes about business, the same way that I do."
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Welp, it'll be fun to trade him in 3 years.
        This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

• Yup. Pretty sad that he hasn't thrown a pitch for us and we already know he'll be gone
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• Things could change between now and the point that would matter.

Comment

• [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZauiSe8Js[/ame]

Comment

• I think he will be up before June. I am assuming he gets 5-10 starts and gets the call-up.

Comment

• I hope not.

Comment

• The Marlins sent top prospect Jose Fernandez to minor league camp Wednesday.

He will open the season at Double-A Jacksonville. The intriguing question is when will he return to the Marlins?

“His day will come,” manager Mike Redmond said. “I think it just comes down to some more experience. He’s never pitched above A ball.”

The 20-year-old Cuban right-hander was impressive in his first opportunity in spring training with the Marlins.

In his only appearance in a regular Grapefruit League game, Fernandez held the Nationals scoreless for two innings, allowing one hit and striking out two. More notable, he threw 1 1/3 scoreless innings in an exhibition against Venezuela’s World Baseball Classic team with a fastball that registered up to 95 mph.

“That’s big,” he said of his outing against Team Venezuela’s formidable lineup, including a strikeout of Marco Scutaro, the MVP of last year’s National League Championship Series.

“I was impressed with everything -- the way he handled himself, the way he pitched, his command. His mound presence is great,” Redmond said.

Marty Scott, the Marlins’ vice president of player development, said recently that Fernandez and outfielder Christian Yelich could make the big-league debuts by midseason.

Yelich, is having a superb spring, hitting .371 with three home runs and a team-high 11 RBI. He remains with the Marlins, who made two other roster moves Wednesday.

Outfielder Jake Marisnick, the No. 3 propect who has a broken hand, was also reassigned to minor league camp and will play for Jacksonville after he recovers from the injury. He is expected to miss at least the first two weeks of the season.

Right-hander Chris Hatcher was also optioned to Triple-A New Orleans.

Fernandez, who began spring training saying, “I think I have a chance” to make the team, took the demotion well.

“He played it like he knew it was coming,” Redmond said. “He understands what he’s got to do,” Redmond said. “You can tell he is a competitor, and he wants it. Those are the kind of guys we want in the organization.”
                    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,6348444.story

Comment

• Per MLBTR:

"There's more downside than upside" in the Marlins' decision to promote Fernandez to the big league club to start the season, writes Jim Callis of Baseball America (subscription required). Callis feels Fernandez is subject to increased injury risk, and finds the team's failure to wait 12 days before promoting him to be short-sighted. Fernandez only made one start prior to April 12th, at which point the Marlins could have purchased his contract and controlled him through 2019 instead of 2018. Even if you feel the Marlins will just trade Fernandez once he gets expensive, he would've had more trade value with an extra year of control.

Comment

• Outstanding stuff there

Comment

• The 12 days thing is totally correct.

The "increased injury risk" strikes me as a little weird.
                          poop

Comment

• yea, the 12 day this is outstanding

not the injury part

Comment

• Probably the best interview I've watched in a while.

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.j...y_27322055&v=3
                              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Lmao, He's the best. I think it's hilarious how he say "you know" so many times. He looks like he's slimmed down quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X