No announcement yet.

IT'S OFFICIAL: Marlins, Giancarlo Stanton Agree to 13 Year/$325 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanton just signed for the health insurance plan.
    --------------------
    Just to confirm, this actually happened right? It's all still a little surreal.
    Last edited by thatnewguy; 11-20-2014, 08:01 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Keith Olbermann had a hilariously bad rant about all this being a scam but ignored the no trade clause to make his case.

Comment

• He also said we had a fire sale after the 2003 World Series. That's a load of bull shit.

Comment

• There's a few people here who think we did too. Or called it that at the time anyway.

Comment

• Only real fire sale in Marlins history was in 1998 and that wasn't with this ownership group.

The one in 2005 was a perfect storm of expiring contracts, trade opportunities, and core overturning. There were two big trades that year, right? The one for Hanley-Anibal with the Red Sox and the one for Mike Jacobs with the Mets? We didn't lose on either of those trades. The Red Sox won in 07 with Lowell and Beckett at the core so maybe that one was a push, but we got three good seasons out of Jacobs when he was garbage elsewhere and we did by getting rid of Paul Lo Duca and a 38-year-old Carlos Delgado.

The one in 2012 I have gotten over and am happy that it happened since we were only pissed about it because it seemed like a salary dump. Those guys have been shit or worse in Toronto and elsewhere and we got the better end of that trade. I was angry as all hell when it happened but now with two years of hindsight, I agree with the organization when they say "2012 was a failure."

Don't get me wrong. I still think Loria is as scummy as they come and that he'd sell his own mother if he could turn a profit on her. But the fact of the matter is, this organization has been paying for the sins of 1998 for the better part of the 15 years and when you have people like Olbermann yelling "scam!" and "fire sale!" it makes them look like they don't know what they're talking about.
            Last edited by thatnewguy; 11-21-2014, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• New guy is good, you guys.

What the fuck took you so long to post?

Comment

• He was waiting for a true leader, such as myself, to be named admin.

Comment

• I like newguy.

Now lets run him off

Comment

• newguy is fantastic

it's a festivus miracle!
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                      Only real fire sale in Marlins history was in 1998 and that wasn't with this ownership group.

The one in 2005 was a perfect storm of expiring contracts, trade opportunities, and core overturning. There were two big trades that year, right? The one for Hanley-Anibal with the Red Sox and the one for Mike Jacobs with the Mets? We didn't lose on either of those trades. The Red Sox won in 07 with Lowell and Beckett at the core so maybe that one was a push, but we got three good seasons out of Jacobs when he was garbage elsewhere and we did by getting rid of Paul Lo Duca and a 38-year-old Carlos Delgado.

The one in 2012 I have gotten over and am happy that it happened since we were only pissed about it because it seemed like a salary dump. Those guys have been shit or worse in Toronto and elsewhere and we got the better end of that trade. I was angry as all hell when it happened but now with two years of hindsight, I agree with the organization when they say "2012 was a failure."

Don't get me wrong. I still think Loria is as scummy as they come and that he'd sell his own mother if he could turn a profit on her. But the fact of the matter is, this organization has been paying for the sins of 1998 for the better part of the 15 years and when you have people like Olbermann yelling "scam!" and "fire sale!" it makes them look like they don't know what they're talking about.
                      Anyone who remembers 2005 remembers a miserable season where the engine never fired on all cylinders. The team's stadium situation was also nowhere close to a resolution and league-wide revenue sharing isn't what it is today.

As far as 2012 is concerned I'll sum up my comments from Facebook as:

Cheap 85 loss team with upside > Expensive 85 loss team in the decline

Signing Stanton long term was a great move and restored some confidence in ownership. Loria is still a douche though.

Comment

• 2005 team, for me, will always be remembered for being tied for the Wild Card with 15 games left and then losing 10 of those.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                          2005 team, for me, will always be remembered for being tied for the Wild Card with 15 games left and then losing 10 of those.
                          That team played a buttload of games in September due to the hurricanes. Also, Randy Wolf's brother was accussed of screwing us over that year.

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                            That team played a buttload of games in September due to the hurricanes.
                            That was 2004. Logan Kensing making 3 starts after spending the year in Jupiter was the highlight.

Comment

• 2005 was the absolute worst

I still say that was the best team we ever had on paper, 97 and 03 included
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                                2005 team, for me, will always be remembered for being tied for the Wild Card with 15 games left and then losing 10 of those.
                                And AJ Burnett imploding in Houston.

Comment

Working...
                                X