Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's not saying they're interchangable. He's saying the gap between Longoria and McGehee is large enough that it more than offsets the gap between Ozuna and Marisnick (and he's right).

Marisnick was a 0.8 WAR player in 65g/237pa last season and Longoria was a 3.4 WAR player in a down season for him. he's usually closer to a 6 WAR player. I'll project him at 5 though, to be safer. Marisnick at his pace is a 2 WAR player and considering the majority of his value is defense, that's probably a safe bet.

Ozuna was a 3.7 WAR player last year and McGehee was a 2.0 WAR player. There's a chance Ozuna takes another step forward for sure, but there's pretty much no chance McGehee repeates 2.0 WAR. So lets just say 4.5 for Ozuna and 1.5 for McGehee.

Marisnick/Longoria: ~7 WAR
    McGehee/Ozuna: ~6 WAR

And I would say the Marisnick/Longoria combo is a safer bet to reach that number than McGehee/Ozuna.

(all WAR here is fWAR)
    --------------------
    Now, if you think 2014 Longoria is Longoria from now on, then it becomes a lot more debatable.
    --------------------
    Another really simplified way to look at it is Longoria is better than Ozuna and Marisnick is better than McGehee. If you don't think those 2 things are true, then obviously, this doesn't work for you.
    Last edited by HUGG; 12-17-2014, 11:13 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
      He's not saying they're interchangable. He's saying the gap between Longoria and McGehee is large enough that it more than offsets the gap between Ozuna and Marisnick (and he's right).

Marisnick was a 0.8 WAR player in 65g/237pa last season and Longoria was a 3.4 WAR player in a down season for him. he's usually closer to a 6 WAR player. I'll project him at 5 though, to be safer. Marisnick at his pace is a 2 WAR player and considering the majority of his value is defense, that's probably a safe bet.

Ozuna was a 3.7 WAR player last year and McGehee was a 2.0 WAR player. There's a chance Ozuna takes another step forward for sure, but there's pretty much no chance McGehee repeates 2.0 WAR. So lets just say 4.5 for Ozuna and 1.5 for McGehee.

Marisnick/Longoria: ~7 WAR
      McGehee/Ozuna: ~6 WAR

And I would say the Marisnick/Longoria combo is a safer bet to reach that number than McGehee/Ozuna.

(all WAR here is fWAR)
      --------------------
      Now, if you think 2014 Longoria is Longoria from now on, then it becomes a lot more debatable.
      --------------------
      Another really simplified way to look at it is Longoria is better than Ozuna and Marisnick is better than McGehee. If you don't think those 2 things are true, then obviously, this doesn't work for you.
      Should have clarified, but yes, this is what I meant.

Comment

• Hell, maybe the Rays would take Hechavarria and Gordon for Longoria.
        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
        Noah Perio
        Jupiter
        39 AB
        15 H
        0 2B
        0 3B
        0 HR
        0 BB
        .385/.385/.385

Comment

• yeah it would definitely be wise to upgrade 3B and then have two holes in the middle of our infield
          --------------------
          after having traded all the depth at those positions away
          Last edited by emkayseven; 12-18-2014, 09:20 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Still have Solano dude. Just play him up the middle.
            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
            Noah Perio
            Jupiter
            39 AB
            15 H
            0 2B
            0 3B
            0 HR
            0 BB
            .385/.385/.385

Comment

• you could probably make a case that 2B Dietrich/SS Solano/3B Longoria could potentially be worth more wins than 2B Gordon/SS Hechavarria/3B McGehee

Comment

you could probably make a case that 2B Dietrich/SS Solano/3B Longoria could potentially be worth more wins than 2B Gordon/SS Hechavarria/3B McGehee
                Perry Hill would be incredibly overworked with that middle infield.

Comment

you could probably make a case that 2B Dietrich/SS Solano/3B Longoria could potentially be worth more wins than 2B Gordon/SS Hechavarria/3B McGehee
                  I really don't think you could make that case.

We can project all we want, but we've never seen a full season from Dietrich and Solano.
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• Solano and Dietrich up the middle might be worse than Uggla and Ramirez defensively.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                      I really don't think you could make that case.

We can project all we want, but we've never seen a full season from Dietrich and Solano.

well, I mean, if Longoria gets back to his regular form, he's probably going to have a higher WAR than Gordon, Hech and McGehee combined

Comment

well, I mean, if Longoria gets back to his regular form, he's probably going to have a higher WAR than Gordon, Hech and McGehee combined
                        and Morse....and maybe Salty too

Comment

• I mean, it's not as simple as just looking at WAR and saying we'd be better. But Longoria is so much better than McGehee that I think it's pretty obvious. We could get replacement level performance from 2b/ss and be better overall.

And if you want to just go by WAR, Miguel Rojas would be a better starting SS than Hech is anyway. I personally don't buy that, but its there.

Of course there's absolutely zero chance Tampa would take Gordon and Hech for him so this is all silly, but still.
                          Last edited by HUGG; 12-18-2014, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 6m6 minutes ago
                            #SFGiants have reportedly struck an agreement to re-sign Jake Peavy: http://sbnation.com/e/7184598

Comment

• well there goes that

doesn't really matter though, we didn't "need" him

i am curious about shields though...haven't heard strong rumors about him and kinda shocked he hasn't signed yet...i wonder if his age is keeping teams away

Comment

• Didn't want Peavy, good.

Comment

Working...
                                X