This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
    The perception is that he's smooth at 1B but the #'s say he's terrible.

By the way, in regards to James Shields, I would rather spend the money on two second-tier free agent pitchers instead of committing to Shields long-term.
    What about someone like Ervin Santana? Is that one that falls into the category you're proposing?

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
      What about someone like Ervin Santana? Is that one that falls into the category you're proposing?
      Yes.

Comment

• Let Hanley play 2B where his throwing woes would be less pronounced. Platoon Dietrich and Baker at first.

Comment

Yes.
          I mean looking at that list above, looks like he'd be about half the price of Shields, though obviously not quite the same caliber.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
            I mean looking at that list above, looks like he'd be about half the price of Shields, though obviously not quite the same caliber.
            If you get a Santana and another guy, I'd feel much better about our rotation.
            Since we're still operating on a budget that gives us little to no room for error, I'd rather not give one pitcher nearing his mid-30's a long-term deal. If we're signing someone else this offseason for 4+ years, I'd hope it's because we added a hitter or extended another one of our core players.

Comment

• I don't believe the 2015 draft is that "great." So I don't know if giving up their first round pick is that big of a deal. If it was last year's class, then yes, it is a huge deal because of how deep it was, but this year seems ehh.
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                Let Hanley play 2B where his throwing woes would be less pronounced. Platoon Dietrich and Baker at first.
                I'd be fine with this as well.

But the point is, I don't believe starting pitching is as great of a need as people are making it out to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                  I'd be fine with this as well.

But the point is, I don't believe starting pitching is as great of a need as people are making it out to be.
                  As it stands, our starting 5 heading into next year is Alvarez, Cosart, Eovaldi, Koehler & Heaney (?).

Alvarez could be as good as he was last year, Cosart could be as good as he was with us, Eovaldi could live up to his peripherals, Koehler could be Koehler (decent, nothing special), and Heaney could surprise us.

Alvarez could also regress some, Cosart could be Houston Cosart, Eovaldi could be the next Ricky Nolasco, Koehler could be Koehler (decent, nothing special), and Heaney could continue to suck.

I think we should at least add some good depth to prevent potential disaster. There are a lot of question marks in the rotation.

I don't think you can seriously tell your fanbase that you really want to win next year and stay with the same rotation.

There are plenty of pitchers with upside available in free agency. We don't necessarily have to sign one of the top guys, but a guy (or two) should be added.

Comment

As it stands, our starting 5 heading into next year is Alvarez, Cosart, Eovaldi, Koehler & Heaney (?).

Alvarez could be as good as he was last year, Cosart could be as good as he was with us, Eovaldi could live up to his peripherals, Koehler could be Koehler (decent, nothing special), and Heaney could surprise us.

Alvarez could also regress some, Cosart could be Houston Cosart, Eovaldi could be the next Ricky Nolasco, Koehler could be Koehler (decent, nothing special), and Heaney could continue to suck.

I think we should at least add some good depth to prevent potential disaster. There are a lot of question marks in the rotation.

I don't think you can seriously tell your fanbase that you really want to win next year and stay with the same rotation.

There are plenty of pitchers with upside available in free agency. We don't necessarily have to sign one of the top guys, but a guy (or two) should be added.
                    I am completely on board with this. I should have worded that better, I don't think we have a desperate need for a frontline pitcher. I'd rather sign two upper tier batters and some upside pitchers.
                    --------------------
                    According to a source, the Marlins have made a two-year, $20 million offer to free agent first baseman Adam LaRoche, who hit .259 with 26 homers and 92 RBI for Washington in 2014.

Meanwhile, the Marlins have expressed interest in several free agent pitchers, including right-handers Jason Hammel (10-11, 3.47 ERA for the Cubs and Oakland last season) and Justin Masterson, who battled injuries and was 7-9 with a 5.88 ERA for Cleveland and St. Louis last season but was much better in 2013 for Cleveland (14-10, 3.45).

The Marlins also have interest in Arizona left-hander Wade Miley (8-12, 4.34) if the Diamondbacks trade him. The Marlins say their payroll will top $60 million.

### The Marlins’ first offer to Stanton was vastly different than the one he accepted. According to sources, the Marlins made a six-year, $130 million offer shortly after the season ended.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy

I like Miley, actually.
                    Last edited by marlinsfan24; 11-19-2014, 06:18 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I am completely on board with this. I should have worded that better, I don't think we have a desperate need for a frontline pitcher. I'd rather sign two upper tier batters and some upside pitchers.
                      I was about to say the same thing - if they're going to stick to a lower payroll, I think they should concentrate on/allocate money toward improving the infield/lineup, while complimenting that move with less prominent pitcher of some sort. However, if they're able/willing to push the budget upwards more than reported, do both - grab some infield/lineup help and a front line pitcher. But I guess that's easier said than done lol.

Comment

• By the way, I wouldn't mind trading Cishek because I like our bullpen depth now, but I don't think he's going anywhere. Other than tj's made up rumors, there's nothing indicating that we even have an interest in trading him.

Comment

I personally like the idea of signing LaRoche, though I know some are against it.

Also, I remember reading thoughts that a guy like Masterson could be had on a one year deal in order to rebuild some value after last season. A switch to the NL (no DH) and a large park (though isn't he more of a groud ball pitcher....throw that into the Headley rumor mill) might appeal to him.

Comment

• I would like one Justin Masterson please.

EDIT: Yes he was god awful last year and he only has three years where he was a good pitcher but I think he'd make a good reclamation project.
                            --------------------
                            And we definitely need a replacement at 1B but not sold that LaRoche is that answer.
                            Last edited by dim; 11-19-2014, 06:23 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Think I'm cool with 2yr/$20m for LaRoche.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                                I would like one Justin Masterson please.

EDIT: Yes he was god awful last year and he only has three years where he was a good pitcher but I think he'd make a good reclamation project.
                                --------------------
                                And we definitely need a replacement at 1B but not sold that LaRoche is that answer.
                                Long term, obviously not. But if you can get him on a short deal, does it make more sense? I mean, I guess there are potential moving parts, but what's the alternative? Jones at this point.

We all know they're hellbent on Solano being the 2B and not giving Dietrich a shot, so there's probably not an upgrade coming there unless they surprise us, so nice that they're considering improvements elsewhere on the infield.

That said, if it's LaRoche and call it a day, nobody else, it's more into eh territory. But if it's LaRoche + another signing or two (one bat, one pitcher?) it'd be better, right?

---

You know what though, the fact that we can sit here and talk about them potentially going after a few key free agents at spots they could use upgrades is nice. Obviously we don't know who they'll end up signing, but it's nice to be discussing some decent free agents rather than hearing about Rafael Furcals' of the world being our key free agent signing to really solidify the lineup (hahaha). I think the Stanton contract makes Miami a more attractive market for potential free agents now, because they know he'll be here (for at least 6 more years), and it finally seems like they're acting more like an actual organization rather than the circus Loria money printing machine they've been for years.
                                Last edited by rmc523; 11-19-2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X