No announcement yet.

Christian Yelich, OF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the team is looking to compete next season and they didn't trade Cishek for the same reason this July, what makes people think they are going to trade him in the off-season?

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
      If the team is looking to compete next season and they didn't trade Cishek for the same reason this July, what makes people think they are going to trade him in the off-season?
      [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9tI[/ame]
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• If they are willing to get the payroll to $75-$80M like reports have mentioned before and seeing as they think a closer is the most important player on a team, behind a speedy, leadoff second baseman of course, they are going to overpay Cishek IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
          If they are willing to get the payroll to $75-$80M like reports have mentioned before and seeing as they think a closer is the most important player on a team, behind a speedy, leadoff second baseman of course, they are going to overpay Cishek IMO.
          I think they are smarter than that, all jokes aside. Cishek is $7+ million for 70 innings and even they are going to realize that the player(s) they will get for him and the $7 million dollars saved is more valuable than those 70 innings as compared to whoever they replace him with.

Payroll is at roughly $60 million for these 23 guys next year:

Salty, Mathis
          Jones
          Dietrich, Kike, Baker
          Hech
          McGehee
          Yelich
          Ozuna
          Stanton

Alvarez
          Eovaldi
          Cosart
          Heaney
          Koehler

Cishek
          Morris
          Ramos
          Dunn
          Capps
          Hatcher
          Hand

They can't afford an ace with $15 million, which is what they want. But lose Cishek's $7, and now there is $22 million to play with to get up to $75.... that gets an ace (on paper anyways), and fills one of the infield spots with the guy Cishek was traded for.

Then there is a logjam in the rotation, where Eovaldi gets traded for younger assets and saves money to devote more to the infield, or they bump someone to the pen, or they keep Heaney in AAA. All positive scenarios for depth.

Adding James Shields, a good young infielder for Cishek, and whatever happens with Eovaldi/Koehler/Heaney/Hand trade or depth wise, and that's a really great offseason. Even better if they can lock down Yelich for 7, Alvarez for 5, and Stanton for 4-6....

Comment

• If they can deal Cishek for a young infielder who can contribute right away, replace him with Eovaldi in the pen, and then pick up a top of the rotation starter. I'd feel pretty damn good about next year.

Comment

• I think I would too.

I wouldn't even be opposed to sticking Eovaldi in a potential Cishek deal, if it could get you a real blue-chip kinda guy. They have enough bullpen arms, to be honest.
              --------------------
              They need to do something to drastically improve the infield, which has accounted for all of 1.4 WAR since the All-Star break, per Fangraphs. Given their current personnel, I think that's probably close to their true talent level.
              --------------------
              Hell, the infield's only been worth 4.6 WAR altogether this season. That's such a disaster. They really need to upgrade multiple spots there.
              Last edited by Bobbob1313; 09-17-2014, 10:43 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                I think I would too.

I wouldn't even be opposed to sticking Eovaldi in a potential Cishek deal, if it could get you a real blue-chip kinda guy. They have enough bullpen arms, to be honest.
                --------------------
                They need to do something to drastically improve the infield, which has accounted for all of 1.4 WAR since the All-Star break, per Fangraphs. Given their current personnel, I think that's probably close to their true talent level.
                --------------------
                Hell, the infield's only been worth 4.6 WAR altogether this season. That's such a disaster. They really need to upgrade multiple spots there.
                Yep.

Get an Ace
                Cishek for an infielder
                Eovaldi for an infielder

And there is probably $3-5 million leftover to get to $75 here, so maybe someone gets bumped (like the loser of Dietrich/Kike battle, and we know who is losing that) and a veteran comes in to play a lot of 2B.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                  Yep.

Get an Ace
                  Cishek for an infielder
                  Eovaldi for an infielder

And there is probably $3-5 million leftover to get to $75 here, so maybe someone gets bumped (like the loser of Dietrich/Kike battle, and we know who is losing that) and a veteran comes in to play a lot of 2B.
                  Both of them.

SOLANOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Comment

• It's too bad the Cubs would have no need for Cishek, because they have a lot of stuff we could want.
                    poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                      It's too bad the Cubs would have no need for Cishek, because they have a lot of stuff we could want.
                      Not sure about that, their entire position player core is cost controlled for basically 4-5 seasons besides Rizzo, and as a large market team, they can devote it all to pitching right now. They could sign Cishek for 5 seasons and have him be a longterm closer at below free agent rates (as he is still well into arbitration), and it wouldn't impact their bottom line due to how cheap everything else is. Russel and Bryant are going to play a lot next year I imagine if not full years which clears out their infield...

Marlins could go pitching heavy - Heaney, Cishek, Dunn, Comp Pick/IF money, and some other C+ minor league arm or two, and ask for Castro, Valbuena, Vogelbach, and some other modest MiLB arm in A ball.

It's a salary wash for the Marlins and gets the "two infielders" (instant 5+ WAR gain right there full time at 2B and 3B with huge potential with Castro, Castro plays 2B, shift McGehee to 1B, bench Jones for RHP power and make sure Casey hits). They'd still have $15 or so to spend on a FA SP, and really thats what they can do as what are the odds Lester or Shields comes to this pit? Spend $12 on a pitcher and the rest on a moderate reliever or two.

It's all about Heaney with this one in whatever deal configuration. They would get a top bat for Heaney from the Cubs, and Cishek could float it so its a big package as Castro is a huge get. Hard to believe the Cubs get a higher SP prospect than Heaney for anyone on roster, and Marlins do have depth here to pull the trigger if they intend to sign a veteran SP.
                      --------------------
                      But I guess if its Cishek only as I went on a tangent, yea that won't do it for a rebuilding team. Maybe a contender and he's a last piece
                      Last edited by lou; 09-17-2014, 04:30 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• They're not trading Cishek.
                        This is the team that paid a similar amount to have Leo Nunez close for a year.

All of this stuff about trading Cishek is just being hopeful as there's no indication that they're willing to trade him.

They are also not signing James Shields.

Comment

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                          poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                            They're not trading Cishek.
                            This is the team that paid a similar amount to have Leo Nunez close for a year.

All of this stuff about trading Cishek is just being hopeful as there's no indication that they're willing to trade him.

They are also not signing James Shields.
                            They can't sign an "ace" without clearing $5-7 million at a $75 million payroll.

Only guys that can do that are - Stanton (unlikely), Salty (unlikely), Cishek, Jones (would be a godsend), and a combination of Eovaldi/Dunn

Comment

• I understand why they should trade Cishek, but I wonder if it would cause too much backlash from everyone (and possibly putting more doubt into G's mind.) I just think every single move from here on out is extremely critical to help or hurt any chance the Marlins have to sign him long term.
                              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Going into Sunday, Christian Yelich had put 30 balls in play. And according to STATS LLC, not one of them was a flyball: 24 on the ground, six line drives. Baseball Info Solutions gives Yelich credit for two flyballs, but the point stands: He needs to do a better job of driving the ball...
                                http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degr...033932160.html
                                Originally posted by Madman81
                                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                X