Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Someone" = Namaste, motherfucker.

You need to learn my name, son.

That was some rant but I agree with 70% of it.

I have some e-friends on this board who would rather be right than be sitting in Section 24 for the playoffs.

Comment

• I think fans who assume other people aren't really fans because they look at things in a different way are the worst.
      --------------------
      :-)
      --------------------
      I think there is room to reasonably disagree on whether trading all of your limited young assets for a two-month rental to bolster a .500 team in late July is a prudent move, without questioning other people's motives or fanhood

But maybe not maybe people are really not marlins fans they just picked being a marlins fan because they like complaining
      --------------------
      And I really do think there is room to disagree reasonably. That's not snark.

But, remember when they nearly traded Stanton for Manny? Would that have been worth it if they had made the playoffs that year?
      Last edited by Bobbob1313; 07-29-2014, 10:46 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
      poop

Comment

• I completely respect your opinions and I don't wholly disagree with them, but I think we've become way too possessive of prospects as Marlins fans. I'm sick of that. If there's some good players out there who can help us right now, I would rather have that than a "prospect" who lives up to that word and is nothing more than a potentiality. And like I said before, there is no true franchise changer in our system. There are a lot of B+'s but no As. Those guys will not do anymore than buffer an .500 team - not make the difference between playoffs or not. This might be only the 5th or 6th time in FRANCHISE HISTORY we actually have a legit shot at the playoffs this late into the season. If we roll the dice and lose Jake Marisnick, who cares?? We will still be the same team next year. If we lose Heaney..oh well he's a good pitcher but if we want to be contenders we need to start thinking of competing in free agency not in the farm system. He's replaceable.
        STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• I agree, they should be players in free agency.

I think that's entirely separate from whether they should trade for Lester.

They should build teams that can realistically compete from day one, not try to cover up the gaps when they get lucky. They should have a plan. They don't, and this is absolutely indicative of their lack of a long-term plan.

I guess if you want to say that since they don't have a plan anyway, they might as well go all-in on any potential chance, no matter how remote. I can see that, I guess. I would just rather invest the money for a Lester into free agency, where you can get a full season of a guy without losing prospects.
          --------------------
          I just think the chance of Lester getting them into the playoffs are too remote, as things currently stand. The lineup is still mostly crap, and that's the biggest issue right now. They basically have a net-zero infield.

If there was a Lester-type talent available in the middle infield, I could be talked into going all-in. I don't think it's worth it for a guy who will make 14 starts at the most, especially with how volatile pitching is.
          --------------------
          Hell, if Jose were healthy and they were even two games closer, I'd say go for it with Lester.

This is too big a gap, and the team has too many holes for this to be a slam dunk. And I don't think a low-percentage gamble is worth it right now.

They're decidedly not out of it, but they could be if they lose 3 games by 4 runs combined over the next 4 days. It's too big a gamble.
          Last edited by Bobbob1313; 07-29-2014, 11:07 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
          poop

Comment

• "Steep asking price for Lester
            MIAMI — The Marlins are seeking a game-changing starter, and Jon Lester would be the ideal candidate to help the young club make a playoff push. But at what price?

Boston, in the market for outfield help, would seek Christian Yelich in return for Lester, a two-time World Series champion. Miami has no interest in parting with a 22-year-old pure hitter with All-Star potential.

In fact, the Marlins are not willing to part with any core players on their big league roster.

It’s unclear if the Marlins are continuing to pursue Lester for a lesser package. But what is clear is the front office is scrambling to make a move or two by Thursday’s non-waiver Trade Deadline.

Lester, a free agent after the season, would be a rental in Miami. The Marlins ideally are seeking a starter they can control beyond 2014. A possibility in Boston could be John Lackey, who also has World Series experience. The price would be much less for Lackey than Lester.

Lackey is signed through 2015, and his salary will be tendered at the league minimum because he underwent a second Tommy John surgery. That language was written into his current contract.

If Tampa Bay were to make David Price available, the Marlins would have heavy interest.

– Joe Frisaro"

Now THIS is TOO much
            Last edited by BigGameFish; 07-29-2014, 11:12 PM.
            STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• That's not too much. That's the type of talent it's going to cost. If you thought Boston would ask for less your crazy.
              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                You guys on this board are so f'n picky. Hate when we trade guys, don't get excited when we win because there's no chance for us to win it all, hate on the front office for not playing young guys, hate on the team when there's RUMORS of us making a trade, don't want us to make a trade when we are within striking distance of a chance to do what the team has only done twice in 21 years, hate on the team when they don't make enough moves, hate on the team because they don't offer top dollar to top talent, hate on the team when they try to acquire top talent, hate on the team for playing too many young guys, hate on the team for trading young guys...I mean seriously. WTF do you guys want. I have said this before - this is the most negative board I have ever seen. There's no way you guys are real fans of this team. Why the fuck should we not trade for Lester? So what if he leaves after this year? Are any of the guys we trade for him going to get us any closer to the playoffs on their own than Lester would get us while we are this close this year? We don't have any franchise changing talent. You guys bitch and complain about everything. The NL East is not that great, and we just won series against ATL and the Nats. If we can make some additions we can win the division. Honestly I think you people are a bunch of idealists who don't even know what you truly want out of this team. Maybe you just became fans because you enjoy complaining and the Marlins are easy to complain about. Like someone said, I'm SICK of hearing about "next year!!" Or "just wait a few more years!!" No SCREW THAT, lets fucking go for it while we have the chance. Next year is not guaranteed. No prospect in our system will make or break this team, you can bank on that.

LETS GO FISH!!
                --------------------
                If you guys think you're so much smarter and more clever than our front office why aren't you working in one??

Go fuck yourself.

Comment

• I doubt TB makes Price available. They're known for these type of runs. I would love Price though. He's a FA after 2015, right?

Comment

• Correct.
                    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Can't even start to imagine what it will take to get him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                        I have some e-friends on this board who would rather be right than be sitting in Section 24 for the playoffs.
                        Swift?

Comment

• So, with what the Marlins have to offer, what would it take to get a guy like Milone?
                          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• There's no reason to trade Yelich and company for Lester. Sure we need a starting pitcher, but I'm pretty sure this team will hurt more with Yelich out of the lineup more than it will improve with Lester being added to the starting rotation (Lester's a better pitcher than Yelich is a hitter, but Yelich's impact to this team is more valuable imo).

Anyway I'm sure we'll make a move, although it won't be the big name deals your hearing. We'll find a guy similar to how we traded shit prospects for guys like Nick Johnson and Arthur Rhodes back in the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                              We've won 9 of our last 10.

It took a 9-1 run to even our record at .500 and pull within 4.5 games of a SECOND wild card spot.

Imagine what has to happen to pass the teams in front of us.

It's not worth mortgaging the future for an ill-fated run at the playoffs. Wouldn't even matter if we were a game out after this run, since the success would be unsustainable even with Lester (ie, we aren't going .900 the rest of the way).

If it's for a guy with multiple years, sure, but not for a 2 month rental.
                              They wouldn't need to go .900 the rest of the way

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                                The future is so bright for the Marlins that we need high end polarized lenses.

C'mon, man. The future is Giancarlo Stanton getting traded. And then Jose Fernandez getting traded.

They're 4 games back of the second WC spot (per MLB At Bat).

They went 9-1 with Stanton looking like he was using a bat for the first time.

There are 2 MONTHS left in the season.

Make a run at it.

Fuck our doomed future.
                                --------------------
                                Mortgaging the future.

You actually said that.
                                This team plus Jon Lester is still not better than the other teams ahead of us. We still have 50% of the infield as a black hole, a 3B due for (and starting) insane regression, and a 1B who's a full time platoon player.

If we were to make moves that made us legitimately better than the teams in front of us, I'm all for going all in. Getting a top flight SP for 2 months doesn't do that, and it certainly sets our actual competitive window back.

If we were talking about Price and Zobrist, my feelings would be different. We'd be addressing a need for more than 2 months of a Cinderella ride, AND we'd be addressing another pressing need in the infield.

The upgrade from Hand or Turner to Lester over 12 starts is not as impactful as the upgrade from Solano or Hech to a decent infielder every day. It just isn't. Lester can't start every game. No matter what we do, either Hand or Turner is starting every 5th day, just like Lester. Does Jon Lester pitching in 12 games instead of Brad Hand really improve our chances that much? (Hint: no)

They're chasing the wrong improvement.
                                Originally posted by Madman81
                                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                X