An Early Look Into Free Agency For 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
    And Mike Stanton is not one of them, so that's pretty much irrelevant.
    --------------------
    From what I've seen, Mike Cameron has enough left offensively and defensively to bring back as a 4th OFer next year.
    That's nice.

More importantly, who's going to start in CF?

Also, wouldn't that be an even better reason to perhaps experiment with Stanton? I'm sure having a guy like Mike Cameron around can only help. He was initially acquired to help with stuff like that, anyway.

Comment

Coghlan's a fine player and a decent CFer. If Bonifacio keeps playing this way, Coghlan can finally start hitting lower in the lineup which is probably where he belongs anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
        We've gone over why before.

And as much as I dislike it, it's probably CC.
        I don't remember the reason, although I think you said it was because you don't like how he goes back on balls. Or something like how he plays near the wall.

And this thread is about what we would do to make the team better, isn't it? You, yourself, just said you dislike the idea of moving CC back to CF. How about an interesting idea you like? Coghlan was not good this year (both with the fielding and the bat), and it's no guarantee that he'll ever be good in CF, either.

Comment

Of that list, I'd be perfectly fine with Coco Crisp in Center.

I'd rather run CC out there in CF than try Stanton in CF and find another RF or trade one of Gaby, Lomo, or the SP.
          poop

Comment

Originally posted by DropkickAlex View Post
            Morrison-Upton-Stanton

Yes.
            We probably don't have the prospects to acquire a B.J. Upton.

Comment

We don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                I don't remember the reason, although I think you said it was because you don't like how he goes back on balls. Or something like how he plays near the wall.

And this thread is about what we would do to make the team better, isn't it? You, yourself, just said you dislike the idea of moving CC back to CF. How about an interesting idea you like? Coghlan was not good this year (both with the fielding and the bat), and it's no guarantee that he'll ever be good in CF, either.
                Yes, that's exactly what I said. Bravo.

I don't have any good ideas at the moment but I can say with confidence that Stanton isn't one of them.
                --------------------

I'd rather run CC out there in CF than try Stanton in CF and find another RF or trade one of Gaby, Lomo, or the SP.
                This too.
                Last edited by Mainge; 07-31-2011, 09:52 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Coco Crisp isn't the superior defensive player he once was. I'm guessing it might have something to do with the fact he had torn labrum surgery at the end of '09.

He's not a bad player and I'd certainly take him at a fair price, but doesn't he project to be a Type A free agent?
                  --------------------
                  Originally posted by DropkickAlex View Post
                  We don't.
                  There goes that.
                  --------------------
                  Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                  Yes, that's exactly what I said. Bravo.

I don't have any good ideas at the moment but I can say with confidence that Stanton isn't one of them.
                  --------------------

This too.
                  You'd rather have a guy who was nothing more than mediocre in his days in LF out there in CF over a guy who's actually been statistically well above average in RF out in CF?

Why?

Which one projects to do better at the position?

Stanton actually has just as much, if not more, experience than Coghlan in CF. The only reason he's not there is to possibly prolong his career a bit more because his bat is so valuable. However, it's clearly an organizational need right now.
                  Last edited by Erick; 07-31-2011, 10:00 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

going back a page.... BJ Upton does nothing for me

Comment

He was phenomenal in 09-10 and is having a single bad season. Maybe it's a permanent downgrade, but given his history, I'd take a chance on a bounceback. He had a down season in 08 and bounced back too. Given his history, recent and long term, I'll take the chance. Rather than hope Stanton can continue to defy everyone's eyes and be a passable CF.

And according to this he's not going to be Type A or B. I don't know how accurate that is.
                      Last edited by Bobbob1313; 07-31-2011, 10:04 PM.
                      poop

Comment

You'd rather have a guy who was nothing more than mediocre in his days in LF out there in CF over a guy who's actually been statistically well above average in RF out in CF?

Why?

Which one projects to do better at the position?

Stanton actually has just as much, if not more, experience than Coghlan in CF. The only reason he's not there is to possibly prolong his career a bit more because his bat is so valuable. However, it's clearly an organizational need right now.
                        You still think Stanton is an "outstanding" OFer right? Lol.

Yes. I think the guy who's improved every year in the outfield after playing in the infield his entire life, is a better CFer than the guy who can't get an actual jump and has no idea how to track a ball down without two or three missteps, despite playing there for the entirety of his career.

He's not there because he can't play there.

Comment

Are you guys saying no to Stanton in CF because you think he'd be absolutely awful out there?

Or is it a no because it's a more demanding position and he might have a better chance of perhaps getting injured, etc.?

In terms of player value, the only way Stanton wouldn't be valuable in CF'er is if he's absolutely horrible out there. Because his offense would put him as a top-3 hitting CF'er in baseball already if he were to be moved. And he has more upside than whichever CF'er is currently barely better than him offensively, so he'd basically be the best hitting CF'er, sooner rather than later.

Comment

I say "no" because it's not going to happen. He doesn't fit what the organization wants from CFers, and because while I think he's better than Mainge and the rest give him credit for in RF, I think the problems they have with him would only be exasperated in CF and his speed wouldn't make up for them like they do in RF.
                            poop

Comment

ohmygoodness

Comment

Are you guys saying no to Stanton in CF because you think he'd be absolutely awful out there?

Or is it a no because it's a more demanding position and he might have a better chance of perhaps getting injured, etc.?

In terms of player value, the only way Stanton wouldn't be valuable in CF'er is if he's absolutely horrible out there. Because his offense would put him as a top-3 hitting CF'er in baseball already if he were to be moved. And he has more upside than whichever CF'er is currently barely better than him offensively, so he'd basically be the best hitting CF'er, sooner rather than later.
                                I think he'd be bad, yes. I think him and LoMo together would really magnify their ineptitude.

If we got a kickass RFer and wanted to maximize his value, whatever. If it's LoMo-Stanton-asshole, fuck off.

Comment

Working...
                                X