Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    Yeah that all makes sense.

I agree, anyone has to be better than Loria. The one thing about your thought of keeping Yelich/JT and blowing it up/starting from scratch - while that may be the "right"/quicker way to do it, do you think the fanbase/market would tolerate that? Granted it's a new owner, but given the franchise's history of firesales, would everybody just see it as a "here we go again!" move, or do you think the fanbase would be able to see past that toward the "end" goal of consistently competing with sizable payrolls?

In other words, I'm wondering if they'd have to rebuild the way the Dodgers have - spending heavily at the beginning of ownership to retain the current crop of players and add real impact pieces/improve (not just random scrap heap guys we roll out as regulars now), while rebuilding the farm system through drafts and international signings so long term they can compete that way, not through extreme spending - if anything just to avoid the optics of yet another firesale just by different ownership. Because long term, the new owner hopefully would be truly different and not take that firesale approach, but to the casual fan - the ones we don't draw, partially because of the franchise instability caused by firesales - it looks like more of the same from the Marlins.
    Well if u do it and say this is a new era and we are here to spend cash and win,just need a change from the previous FO. Seems the fanbase already hates the team with Jeff(See Dan Fatass)so how much worse can it get?

I mean if the Big Hurt can stay healthy and hit 50 HR u keep him around and same with Dee but honestly this team isnt great. Yelich and JT stay cause fairly cheap still and pretty solid. If a investment company buys the team,they likely would hire a real President/GM not hire his son and stepson to do what he says NOT Kushner sitting in NYC saying who the team should sign and play

I hate firesales/rebuilds especially when its because u dont wanna pay guys BUT sometimes it really is needed.
    Last edited by tjfla; 02-10-2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Ya he isnt gonna be involved just his capital. Likely one of the "partners" which keeps him away from stuff. It will be a company thing where he is in but silent partner. Think of it like u are 25 and wanna buy a house,can't really afford it by daddy is rich so he gives u cash or whatever and is on stuff but just in name only

Maybe thats why its for 1.6 instead of 1.3/1.4 like was mentioned. They throw him another 200 million and he can use it to pay off the county with it

Who cares who runs the team. Can it get any worse then Jeff?? Long as the guys spend 100+ million on salary a year and invest in scouting/draft I am happy. In all honesty,keep Yelich/JT and a few arms and blow up the team start from scratch
      From what I understand, Kushner cannot be a partner at all. He was in federal prison. His sons, maybe, but not him.

Comment

Who cares who runs the team. Can it get any worse then Jeff?? Long as the guys spend 100+ million on salary a year and invest in scouting/draft I am happy. In all honesty,keep Yelich/JT and a few arms and blow up the team start from scratch
        You would assume if a group buys an asset for $1.6 billion, they will invest in it. Also for the record, Jeff is $100+ this year, but does obviously need better minor league investment and track record of doing that more than once a decade.

I can't see a blowup if people buy it either. Throw all the money at Darvish (only ace I think next year) or package Ozuna and others and get an ace and replace them with a free agent OF, and fill out the bench (only FA Ellis, McGowan, Ichiro) with reasonably priced 1 year guys and go for it. They would have to wait a few years to blow it up as if they immediately tore it up again, they immediately get lumped in with Loria as breaking it down on a PR level.

Comment

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...rlins-45400591

According to this ABC article, Joshua Kushner is the one potentially buying the team, and that the price could end up being lower than the rumored $1.6B:

oshua Kushner, whose older brother is an adviser to President Trump, has a preliminary agreement to buy the Miami Marlins for about $1.6 billion, a person with direct knowledge of the negotiations said Friday.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the Marlins and owner Jeffrey Loria have not commented publicly on negotiations.

The preliminary agreement preceded due diligence by Kushner, the person said, adding the final offer could be much lower than $1.6 billion. Other parties are also interested in buying the Marlins, and Loria might reopen negotiations with them.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
            You would assume if a group buys an asset for $1.6 billion, they will invest in it. Also for the record, Jeff is $100+ this year, but does obviously need better minor league investment and track record of doing that more than once a decade.

I can't see a blowup if people buy it either. Throw all the money at Darvish (only ace I think next year) or package Ozuna and others and get an ace and replace them with a free agent OF, and fill out the bench (only FA Ellis, McGowan, Ichiro) with reasonably priced 1 year guys and go for it. They would have to wait a few years to blow it up as if they immediately tore it up again, they immediately get lumped in with Loria as breaking it down on a PR level.
            Ya THIS year. Every other year he is in the Bottom 5

I dont think they would either BUT they should. Just could be easier to do it as soon as u buy the team(Loria smell still around) then wait 3 years and then do it

Comment

Ya THIS year. Every other year he is in the Bottom 5

I dont think they would either BUT they should. Just could be easier to do it as soon as u buy the team(Loria smell still around) then wait 3 years and then do it
              While i obviously hate the lack of spending money, that isnt my biggest problem with loria. my biggest problem is his constant interfering with the day to day operations of the franchise while consistently changing his view of the direction of the team. it is impossible to compete with a lower payroll with no investment in the minors, international signing, and a consistently changing viewpoint on the direction of the team. That and our front office is borderline incompetent at realizing market inefficiencies and allocating our already limited resources as well as judging talent.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                While i obviously hate the lack of spending money, that isnt my biggest problem with loria. my biggest problem is his constant interfering with the day to day operations of the franchise while consistently changing his view of the direction of the team. it is impossible to compete with a lower payroll with no investment in the minors, international signing, and a consistently changing viewpoint on the direction of the team. That and our front office is borderline incompetent at realizing market inefficiencies and allocating our already limited resources as well as judging talent.
                Really?? If he spent 110-125 million on salary each year,didnt draft guys based on bonus demands and actually tried in the IFA market he could set his comfy chair right in the clubhouse next to Mattingly for all I care. Every owner tries to do what he does the only difference is usually they know what the hell they are talking about OR atleast has a guy in the FO who does. Our FO is (and this is the whole FO in order- Loria to Samson to Hill) 3 guys with Mike Hill being the only one who knows about the game.

Biggest issue is he is cheap as hell. If he wasnt then people would likely overlook most of the stupid stuff. He actually has a solid scouting staff and has had one for a while now. The problem is its hard to get talent when u offer guys $600,000 and other teams are offering 4 million. 16 yr old kids/Cubans don't care where they play its all about getting paid and Miami dont pay

Y do u think most of our guys leave for other teams eventually and whenever they do it's always mentioned as "Wow nice steal"? Even scouts get sick of hearing well we cant afford the guy

Comment

Fan Fest looked like it was organized by a group that isn't interested in keeping up appearances. This was the worst Fan Fest I've ever been to and the ballpark is dirty with basic maintenance lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Party View Post
                    Fan Fest looked like it was organized by a group that isn't interested in keeping up appearances. This was the worst Fan Fest I've ever been to and the ballpark is dirty with basic maintenance lacking.
                    I'd have thought they'd have cleaned up the place/painted everything with the All star game coming.

Comment

My sole observation of FanFest (I was there on Saturday) was that attendance was low.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                        My sole observation of FanFest (I was there on Saturday) was that attendance was low.
                        I wonder if part of that can be attributed to it being split into two days?

Comment

Can somebody send me a text message when Loria does sell the team? I may start caring about MLB again and that'd be kind of fun.

Comment

So let me get this straight.........

We we're going to finally get rid of Evil Jeffrey as owner but then President Trump signed off on Loria as Ambassador To France thus causing a conflict of interest?

Do I have that right or no?

Comment

I have no clue what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                                I have no clue what's going on.
                                Jeff Loria and the Wisconsin Elite(President Paul Ryan and his pet dog Reince)are friends and they are letting Reince pick Ambassadors. He has nominated or whatever Jeffrey"Cheapskate"Loria as the Ambassador to France. Kushners came out and said they aren't interested in buying if he becomes Ambassador

So Jeff has a choice either 1.3-1.6 BILLION Dollars in his pocket OR he can get his ass kissed in Paris,look at art and run the team from US Embassy in Paris.

Not sure where the conflict is tho since Jeff gave more to Trump($125,000) than he spent on IFA to make his team better but Kushners see an issue

Comment

Working...
                                X