Marlins to Hire Roger Clemens As Assistant Pitching Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins to Hire Roger Clemens As Assistant Pitching Coach

According to several sources, the Marlins plan to hire former Major League pitcher Roger Clemens as an assistant pitching coach early this month.

Pitching coach Juan Nieves will maintain his position, the sources say.

Rocket, as he is affectionately called, was a 7-time Cy Young Award winner and 11-time All-Star during his storied Major League career. But his life since retirement has been dogged by accusations of steroid use, which included a grand jury indictment on perjury charges. Clemens was found not guilty of lying to Congress in 2012.

In December, the Marlins named all-time home run king Barry Bonds as their new hitting coach, moving Frank Menechino into an assistant role. That will not be the case with Clemens, who will serve as the assistant coach to Juan Nieves.

Like Bonds, Clemens will be making his return to baseball after years away from the game. Unlike Bonds, Clemens has not remained out of the spotlight entirely during his time away from the Majors.

For one month in 2012, Clemens joined the Sugar Land Skeeters of the independent Atlantic League. As a 50-year-old, he notched 8 scoreless innings over two starts.

Officials for the Marlins have yet to confirm the rumors, per team policy.

Once the announcement is made official, Clemens is expected to join the team sometime in the second or third week of the season. The reason for the delay is unknown, but it is thought to stem from owner Jeffrey Loria's desire to receive commissioner Rob Manfred's blessing on the hiring.

Loria is known for his tight control on the day-to-day operations of the ballclub, and his coaching staff, with the addition of Clemens, will be littered with former Major Leaguers whom he admired during their playing days. During Game 4 of the 2003 World Series, which was supposed to be Clemens's final Major League appearance, Loria is said to have personally sought out Clemens in order to congratulate him on winding down his career.

Sometime in the last few months, sources say, Loria reached out to rekindle that relationship, and conversations about a coaching job for Clemens began to intensify in March.
    does any team even have two pitching coaches AND two hitting coaches?

either Loria is a genius or a moron
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

All my chips in the middle on moron

- - - - - - - - - -

Hiring Clemens is way cheaper than going out and getting a true #3 for our rotation.

Comment

All my chips are on this is an April Fool's post

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      does any team even have two pitching coaches AND two hitting coaches?

either Loria is a genius or a moron
      Most of us, would have a hard time answering this......

I don't look at this as an either/or answer....I think he's both. A Genius at making $$$ at the same time putting a shit product on the field. But he's a moron, and his own worst enemy when it comes to his baseball management skills.....he's not had much smarts being an owner from a winning point of view.....in fact one of the worst in the last 20 years.

Comment

I believe mk7 posts an april fools joke every year. But this wouldn't surprise me. Can we just have Bonds and Clemens as players instead of coaches?

He's definitely not a genius in regard to making money otherwise he wouldn't fire every manger after giving them an extension.

Comment

1st Jeff is a moron.

This could be a real or fake story. Could be fake because it is April Fool's BUT could also be real because we already have 2 of everything(except pitching coach)-2 hitting coaches/2 Managers/2 GM's AND Jeff would rather pay coaches top dollar than use the money on actual talent on the field.

However the reason why this is FAKE is because our boy Frisaro has never sounded so coherent and Jeff is currently on vacation. See MK7 if u came to the weekly lunch meetings that Jeff,Frisaro,Me,Lou and a few other "secret" guys have u would know this!!!

Comment

the first letters of each paragraph also spell out "april fools" like they do every year, but thanks for cracking the case, tj.

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
              the first letters of each paragraph also spell out "april fools" like they do every year, but thanks for cracking the case, tj.
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Not sure littered in the context used is approved by the AP style guide.

Comment

This is awesome. I fell for the headline but looked at the comments before reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                    Absolutely savage. Someone check on tj I don't know if he survived this beating.

Comment

Working...
                    X