Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think it's smart to trade Ozuna unless the other team is gonna overpay for him. Like if the Cubs for some reason were like "Here, take Baez and Bryant for Ozuna and Heaney," I'd do it. But otherwise, I really wouldn't be a fan. I mean, you have an outfielder who hits for power and plays above-average to great defense and that is a commodity that doesn't just appear out of nowhere. If Ozuna just plateaus and has last season's numbers every year, I'd be thrilled.

Plus the prospect of Ozuna blossoming into a superstar with Yelich and just pairing them in a line-up with Stanton is too enticing to me. If those guys are all at their peaks at around the same time, that could be scary good.
    --------------------
    Originally posted by Namaste View Post
    What a comedy of errors that would be.
    Literally.
    Last edited by thatnewguy; 11-21-2014, 10:11 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
      I like Ozuna too, for what it's worth. Just bringing it up for the sake of discussion, I guess.
      Fair enough.

But let's discuss something else. Ozuna should stay.

Hopefully they trade Cisheck. Who would you give first crack at closers role?

Comment

• My first instinct would Nathan Eovaldi, even though he'd lose like half his value. Probably somebody like Carter Capps or A.J. Ramos.

Comment

• $25 million for 2 years of a guy who has a combined WAR of 2 over the last two seasons?

The White Sox can have LaRoche.

Deitrich can play 1B for WAY less cash.
          --------------------
          Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
          Probably somebody like Carter Capps or A.J. Ramos.
          My first choices, too.
          Last edited by Namaste; 11-21-2014, 10:23 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            Fair enough.

But let's discuss something else. Ozuna should stay.

Hopefully they trade Cisheck. Who would you give first crack at closers role?
            I think that it would be Bryan Morris based on what he did in his time here last year. Carter Capps is the guy I think will eventually get the role the day Cishek leaves. Also, while it seems weird to say, Chris Hatcher with his K/BB rate last year could do it. I'm not sure why Cishek is staying actually. Our bullpen is very deep at this point.
            --------------------
            Also, I hope that Dietrich never becomes our 1B. That would be terrible.
            Last edited by Erick; 11-21-2014, 10:27 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Man, seeing all those names.......

We have a pretty stacked pen. Throw Eovaldi in there (.323 BABIP last year will click down you would think).

Really zero reason to overpay Cisheck. Nice guy but he was awful coming down the stretch. Some team will overpay for all of those SAVES.

Comment

• I am just going off memory, but I think Ramos is too wild at times to be our closer. While he has nasty stuff, I wouldn't be confident in him consistently throwing strikes when needed.

I remember Capps looking really good while he was healthy.

But I agree that now is definitely the time to pull the trigger on Cishek IF the price is right. If not, keep him because it makes the rest of the pen that much better. Eventually a desperate team will OVERPAY for him, which I think is what we should wait for.
                STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• If you had said Chris Hatcher to me at any point before August, I would've punched you in the face.

I don't know his peripherals so it's possible that he had a legitimately good season out of the pen and that's he become a good pitcher, but he was terrible in every instance before last season and watching him all of a sudden be good just felt very mirage-like.
                  --------------------
                  Worst thing Capps had going for him was that freaky HR rate in Seattle back in 2013. Limited time last season so I wouldn't just make him the presumptive heir just yet but he's obviously got the stuff to do it. If he can pitch well enough and consistently enough though in the pen this year, then he's the guy for the future.
                  --------------------
                  And this is assuming that Mike Dunn gets moved too, right?
                  Last edited by thatnewguy; 11-21-2014, 10:49 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                    If you had said Chris Hatcher to me at any point before August, I would've punched you in the face.

Not unlike when Sam Dyson punched Hatcher and broke his jaw last April.

That punch fixed Hatcher.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                      Nothing could be worse than Dietrich at first. He already had enough balls going his way at second, I would hate to see what he looks like when they're thrown all around him or in the dirt.
                      Much much easier to pick a thrown baseball than field a hit him. He'd be fine.

Comment

• Favorite clip of H2R:

http://m.mlb.com/video/v8077975/

Here's one thing I don't understand:

Loria says that 2012 was a disaster, which we can all agree is true, and this is why he hit the reset button. Now, if you're a couple of pieces away from being a serious contender, why don't you open up your wallet and stick your money where your mouth is? Let's increase payroll to $80MM and go after Headley or Tomas and one of Santana/Shields/Lester.

These are the monetary figures to acquire each player in my opinion:

Headley: 4/$48MM
                        Tomas: 6/$95MM
                        Santana: 3/$45MM
                        Shields: 4/$75MM
                        Lester: 5/$100MM

Now, if we sign Headley, you have to put him at 3B and move McGehee to 1B. The only issue I see with Headley is that he is not a power hitter, although he has shown he can hit 30 HR in the past. I think Loria and Co. want a power hitter.

Where are we at right now payroll wise? $45MM(trading Jones)? If we acquire Headley/Shields or Headley/Lester we are looking at a payroll between $75MM and $80MM. Headley/Santana we are looking at the lower end of $70MM. Tomas/Shields or Lester: high $70MM low end of $80MM. Tomas/Santana: mid $70MM.

If we look at Morse, I would assume he'd get no more than 2/$16MM.
                        Last edited by Big Z; 11-22-2014, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                          Here's one thing I don't understand:

Loria says that 2012 was a disaster, which we can all agree is true, and this is why he hit the reset button. Now, if you're a couple of pieces away from being a serious contender, why don't you open up your wallet and stick your money where your mouth is? Let's increase payroll to $80MM and go after Headley or Tomas and one of Santana/Shields/Lester.
                          I think that has been the point of contention with most fans right now. They organization talks big but doesn't do much else, like in 2009 when they were actually only a piece or two away from contention. I think the big difference is that they aren't a piece or two away right now. As constructed they are about a .500 team, give or take a few wins in either direction. And you know what? San Francisco and Kansas City showed that you only need to make in the door to have a shot at everything. But, if you want to be a legitimate contender, banking on 86 wins getting you the second wild card isn't enough.

The Marlins are about four or five pieces away right now. Their infield is garbage. Their starting rotation is somewhere between ok-good depending on Jose Fernandez. Basically, every spot on the infield can be (and probably should be) upgraded and they still need one more good starting pitcher. To fix that, checks need to be written. I think to expect this ball club to contend next season--while not impossible--is foolish unless some major moves are made. You add a player like Headley, a player like Tomas, and/or a player Santana, then you can be in that discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                            I think that has been the point of contention with most fans right now. They organization talks big but doesn't do much else, like in 2009 when they were actually only a piece or two away from contention. I think the big difference is that they aren't a piece or two away right now. As constructed they are about a .500 team, give or take a few wins in either direction. And you know what? San Francisco and Kansas City showed that you only need to make in the door to have a shot at everything. But, if you want to be a legitimate contender, banking on 86 wins getting you the second wild card isn't enough.

The Marlins are about four or five pieces away right now. Their infield is garbage. Their starting rotation is somewhere between ok-good depending on Jose Fernandez. Basically, every spot on the infield can be (and probably should be) upgraded and they still need one more good starting pitcher. To fix that, checks need to be written. I think to expect this ball club to contend next season--while not impossible--is foolish unless some major moves are made. You add a player like Headley, a player like Tomas, and/or a player Santana, then you can be in that discussion.
                            I'm going to disagree with you on an idea presented in Moneyball. They can go into the season with an opening day roster that projects as a 81 win team and be fine provided that they are willing to make the necessary moves come midseason.

I think we need one clear upgrade signed before opening day. As long as the team isn't extremely unlucky, they should be in a position to push for a playoff spot providing they go out and get an impact player or two to improve the team. The player that is signed needs to profile into 2016.

I'm not saying I don't want all the holes fixed but realistically with one upgrade in the offseason, they can hang around until at the all-star break and improve the team then to put them over the top.

Comment

• I wouldn't trade Ozuna unless it was a enormous return.

Just don't want to buy him out.

Awesome LaRoche didnt sign

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                                I wouldn't trade Ozuna unless it was a enormous return.

Just don't want to buy him out.

Awesome LaRoche didnt sign
                                And this basically sums up three days worth of conversation.

Comment

Working...
                                X