Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We will end up doing our damage in the AAA and AA Phases(4 or 5 new guys) but probably will take a LHP/LOOGY type in the Rule 5 part. Perdomo could be interesting but not close to ready. Also a few OF prospects left unprotected(None are ready but if u trade Ozuna maybe u take a OF play him as a 5th OF?)-Teoscar Hernandez/Wuilmer Beccera

Comment

• 2. Dee Gordon, 2B, Marlins — The Marlins have a few players that other teams are interested in, including center fielder Marcell Ozuna, who could be dealt for starting pitching. But Gordon has received a ton of interest, being a second baseman who can hit as well as run. The Marlins have listened, but it would have to be a huge deal in which front-line, controllable pitching would come in return. Seems unlikely.
      3. Dan Jennings, former GM and manager, Marlins — Jennings was let go after the season, but he wants to stay in baseball. Because he’s such a good scout, Jennings has drawn a lot of interest as an adviser/special assistant. The Rangers are interested.
      http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...UiN/story.html

Comment

• If the Marlins get an offer good enough, I'd trade Dee. If you can get a top-line SP and a 3B of the future, I think you have to highly consider it.
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
          If the Marlins get an offer good enough, I'd trade Dee. If you can get a top-line SP and a 3B of the future, I think you have to highly consider it.
          Absolutely. If they can turn Gordon (and Ozuna) into two young play now high upside 2/3 SP and a longterm 3B (or CF) who can play now, it makes some sense. Prado can move to 2B, and they could use the $6 million not spending on Dee Gordon on the other of 3B/CF. Let alone, we all assume they are going to spend something else this offseason, where if they do acquire two SP in a trade, all of that money "above $60 million" is out there for a position player.

That being said, Mike Hill thinks Gordon is a top 10 player in baseball and we know their obsession with speed on the top, so I think it would literally take Dallas Keuchel or Chris Sale to move him. Can't see it happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
            Is having three "very good/elite late-inning relievers" a bad thing? Upgrading a strength can help compensate for the "so many more relevant holes" the team has. For what it's worth, in the Marlins case, it's a relevant hole (singular), which is the rotation. Having a deep bullpen can help a bad rotation that is likely not going to get better. If it does get better, it'll probably be through free agency rather than via trade. There just aren't many realistic trade options to improve the rotation.

Many more teams have been building around their bullpens recently. I don't see anything wrong with it. It seems like it's working to some extent.
            No, it's not a bad thing in a vacuum but it's just something that doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would you trade for a reliever, even one as good as Giles, if to do you have to create another massive black hole elsewhere on the roster? Trading Ozuna for a place of strength not only doesn't solve the problem that is our starting rotation, but also creates another issue in making our somewhat decent lineup that much worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
              No, it's not a bad thing in a vacuum but it's just something that doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would you trade for a reliever, even one as good as Giles, if to do you have to create another massive black hole elsewhere on the roster? Trading Ozuna for a place of strength not only doesn't solve the problem that is our starting rotation, but also creates another issue in making our somewhat decent lineup that much worse.
              Who's the SP you'd realistically like to acquire for Ozuna to fill the hole?

Comment

• A guy like Carrasco would be great but as we've beaten to death around here, he's not a realistic target considering Ozuna is at an all-time low in terms of value. My move if I'm this FO is I hold onto him because the upside is too great and we've already seen him have a lot of success at the big league level.

Comment

• I think at this point they would take a Giles offer for him. While they want a SP bad,they were not getting anywhere and seem to be more interested in getting something.

Ellington,Morris,AJ,Capps,BearClaw,Phelps,Giles,Du nn with Scooter,Wittgren,Rienzo,Flores,Urena,Lazo and Conley in AAA. They really need to trade Dunn

Jose/?/Cosart/Koehler/JA Happ No clue about if Alvarez is ready?

I put JA Happ in(no not signed yet)but the Benedict signing may have him down here quickly. There was some talk about John Lackey BUT he wasn't too happy when rumors about Boston trading him down here so doubtful unless we overpay crazy

Terrible rotation but pretty good pen

- - - - - - - - - -

Baseball Prospectus put out our Top 10 Prospects-Worst in NL with LAA the Worst in MLB

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=27918

BOOTY!!!! If u can't figure out why (Meek has a strong scouting eye, but Miami’s drafts are often troubled due to the financial limits set by the organization, with several picks (I’m looking at you, Blake Anderson) being made for cash reasons rather than baseball ones. They also haven’t been big spenders in the international market, outside of a brief spike from 2013-14)
                  Last edited by tjfla; 11-22-2015, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                    Is having three "very good/elite late-inning relievers" a bad thing? Upgrading a strength can help compensate for the "so many more relevant holes" the team has. For what it's worth, in the Marlins case, it's a relevant hole (singular), which is the rotation. Having a deep bullpen can help a bad rotation that is likely not going to get better. If it does get better, it'll probably be through free agency rather than via trade. There just aren't many realistic trade options to improve the rotation.

Many more teams have been building around their bullpens recently. I don't see anything wrong with it. It seems like it's working to some extent.
                    It's not a bad thing.

but again, you're talking about the difference between Ken Giles and a league-average reliever being something like 17 runs over the course of a season. If you're trading a core offensive player, someone you expect to get 600+ PA, I want more than 70 innings from that deal.

"more teams have been building around their bullpens" isn't really true, also It's the Royals and the Yankees, basically, and even the last one isn't really a realistic comparison, given their ability to flex their financial might. it's a lot easier to justify investing heavily in your bullpen when you're not actually investing that heavily in your bullpen; the Yankees' investment in their bullpen is a lot smaller than the Marlins would be, both in terms of talent needed to acquire it and the relative value of the contracts to the team as a whole.

And the Royals might be an even less illustrative example, given that the key piece of the bullpen, Wade Davis, was a bad starting pitcher that they acquired as a throw-in to a larger trade who has made a sorta miraculous jump to become one of the best relievers ever. That's hardly a sustainable or viable strategy.
                    poop

Comment

• But again, the question is would you rather have Ken Giles or another Jarred Cosart?

Not "would you rather have Ken Giles or Carrasco", because everyone would agree Carrasco. But that's not happening. If they could get a SP of that caliber, they would have already.

Not "would you rather have Ken Giles or keep Ozuna", because it's completely under the pretense that the Marlins are moving Ozuna regardless of anything.

I would gladly take a 17 run improvement in our BP over a 0 run improvement in our rotation. I'd also be incredibly annoyed that we moved a cost controlled young CF for a RP, yeah. But I'd be less annoyed than moving one for another back of the rotation arm, grabbing some guy who walks batters, doesn't strike them out, and gives up a lot of HRs as is our pitcher forte.

Comment

• Fair enough. If the Marlins have to move him, then yes I'd take Ken Giles over some asswipe of a starter. But good god, why on Earth would the Marlins trade him other than "our owner doesn't like him." That's just another example of the piss poor management of this piss poor organization and frankly I'm fucking sick of it.

Comment

• Gonna be so much fun have Prado in LF next year, Yelich working CF and McGehee at 3B full time. That should surely improve the team.

Comment

• So they signed McGehee already for next year? Please say that's not true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                              So they signed McGehee already for next year? Please say that's not true.
                              I don't think they have.......yet.

Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                              Fair enough. If the Marlins have to move him, then yes I'd take Ken Giles over some asswipe of a starter. But good god, why on Earth would the Marlins trade him other than "our owner doesn't like him." That's just another example of the piss poor management of this piss poor organization and frankly I'm fucking sick of it.
                              Because Marlins.

Comment

• I wish they'd hurry up and do something dumb, this off-season is boring as shit.

Comment

Working...
                                X