This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys dont discuss it to much.

Hill has have been telling all teams they want a SP for him. Unless the plan is to make Chapman a SP for 13 million and see how he does?

Comment

Other teams are pissed at how much the Marlins get in revenue sharing. And MLB still claims the Marlins are losing money: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...s-tiny-revenue

Comment

Other than the guys from the Indians and maybe Quintana from the White Sox, which other SP's are available via trade?

All I'm saying is that I think an elite closer has more valuable than the average starter that the Marlins are going to end up getting after selling low on Ozuna.

And we all know that Ozuna is getting traded. It's just a matter of when at this point. He's already on Loria's naughty list so it's pretty much a given. It's unfortunate because I'd actually rather keep him, but since he's leaving, I'm just wondering what the best return possible might be.

What SP's are you guys interested in via trade?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        Guys dont discuss it to much.

Hill has have been telling all teams they want a SP for him. Unless the plan is to make Chapman a SP for 13 million and see how he does?
        Chapman, as a reliever, probably has more value than any starter the Marlins end up getting. He's pretty much a 3 WAR reliever, which is saying something considering that even the sabermetric community admits that WAR is an unfair stat for relievers. He's just been that dominant.

Comment

Alot of SP are out there especially if u have something they want. Its like the Tampa-Seattle trade,while Karns wasnt really "out there" Tampa wanted Brad Miller bad and with the pitchers they have coming back they decided Miller would help more than Karns.

We need to find that team that needs a OF or a bat(CLEVELAND)

Its like Oakland-Beane doesn't wanna deal Sonny Gray BUT if he got a deal that included stuff he needed and a cheaper SP he would probably listen

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            Alot of SP are out there especially if u have something they want. Its like the Tampa-Seattle trade,while Karns wasnt really "out there" Tampa wanted Brad Miller bad and with the pitchers they have coming back they decided Miller would help more than Karns.

We need to find that team that needs a OF or a bat(CLEVELAND)

Its like Oakland-Beane doesn't wanna deal Sonny Gray BUT if he got a deal that included stuff he needed and a cheaper SP he would probably listen
            Nathan Karns is also an average/mediocre starter though that it seems like the Rays sold high on. If that's the type of pitcher we're getting in return, I think elite relievers have more value.

As for Sonny Gray, that's cool, but it really has no meaning in context to the conversation since that's clearly not a possibility for us.

In regards to Cleveland, I refuse to believe we'll be able to get Carrasco/Salazar so it's likely we'd get a guy like Bauer in return. I guess that's fine, but I've never been a huge fan, and he, too, has been rather mediocre so far in the big leagues. Like, if Trevor Bauer is our #2 next year, we are probably going to suck again.
            I would rather just sign 2 SP's rather than trade for one considering the market.

Comment

Comment

I'm with Erick on this one. We have 10 #4's on our 40 man roster. We don't need to add another one. If we're trading Ozuna and the return isn't at least a good #3, Chapman would be better.

(It'd also just be better to keep Ozuna if that's the case but that's not the point being made and I think Erick would agree with that took)

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                  I'm with Erick on this one. We have 10 #4's on our 40 man roster. We don't need to add another one. If we're trading Ozuna and the return isn't at least a good #3, Chapman would be better.

(It'd also just be better to keep Ozuna if that's the case but that's not the point being made and I think Erick would agree with that took)
                  Yeah, exactly my point.

Comment

Chapman has very little value if we never have leads heading into the 9th.
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                      Chapman has very little value if we never have leads heading into the 9th.
                      That's not a good mindset to have heading into a new year. What's the point of keeping Ramos/Capps then? Furthermore, Chapman could be traded again at the trade deadline if the team is out of contention. He certainly has value to any team.

Baseball has evolved and it's been proven that some of the old perceptions of relievers were a bit flawed. Look at how much the Royals are spending on their pen and their success. There are many different ways to win. Value is value.

Comment

I'm not saying you don't need a pen...but Ramos and Capps in the back end are pretty good, better than league average. We had an awful offense that doesn't look to improve much this season, so why trade from a position of weakness to a position of (relative) strength?
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                          I'm not saying you don't need a pen...but Ramos and Capps in the back end are pretty good, better than league average. We had an awful offense that doesn't look to improve much this season, so why trade from a position of weakness to a position of (relative) strength?
                          As I said, I'd rather just keep Ozuna.

Also, I'm not sure if our offense is a weakness. Looks more like league average to me.

And there's nothing wrong with upgrading a strength. Upgrading the bullpen, for example, could help the team's greatest weakness as we wouldn't need as many innings from the starters. And, honestly, regardless of the SP's they bring in, the team is going to need a deep pen next year to compete. The only reliable guy is Jose and he'll probably be limited, himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                            As I said, I'd rather just keep Ozuna.

Also, I'm not sure if our offense is a weakness. Looks more like league average to me.

And there's nothing wrong with upgrading a strength. Upgrading the bullpen, for example, could help the team's greatest weakness as we wouldn't need as many innings from the starters. And, honestly, regardless of the SP's they bring in, the team is going to need a deep pen next year to compete. The only reliable guy is Jose and he'll probably be limited, himself.
                            Not at the expense of the offense. Ozuna for Chapman makes zero sense on every level. Keep him.

Comment

In a time where offense is at a premium, why on earth would you trade a right-handed power bat with huge upside unless the return was overwhelmingly positive? In a time where the Marlins offense is simply OK, where there isn't a lot of dynamite homerun power, why would you trade him unless it upgraded another weakness significantly?

The fact is, the return for Ozuna is not great, period. The best we're talking about is Jose Quintana, who's a nice pitcher but not a dominant ace starter. Ozuna in the middle of the line-up is better than Chapman at the back end of the bullpen or a meh starter in the middle of the rotation. Don't trade him, not now at least. That's dumb, even for this organization.

Comment

You guys aren't understanding Ericks point. His argument is that a good SP isn't a possibility (we don't have enough and Ozuna's value is at its lowest) and keeping him isn't an option (because Loria).

Since those two things aren't options, trading for Chapman is better than trading for another Cosart.

Comment

Working...
                                X