X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Yelich, OF

Discuss.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Well they threw a curveball
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...pic_id=8080130

Scouting Report
      Hitting ability: Yelich has a very smooth left-handed stroke. He can hit to all fields and should hit for average at the next level.

Power: He doesn't hit for much power now, but should grow into some as he continues to fill out his frame. Right now, he's got more line-drive gap power.

Running speed: He's got good speed, running the second fastest 60-yard dash at the showcase.

Base running: While he's better underway, guys with long legs are like that, he's a good base runner who will steal a base. He ran the bases easily in legging out a triple at the showcase.

Arm strength: It's below-average right now. He's more of a slinger when he throws. It's gotten better, but still not as strong as other parts of his game.

Fielding: He has decent actions at first and he's athetic enough to play an outfield spot, though the arm will limit him to center or left.

Range: He's got enough range at first and could cover some ground in the outfield.

Physical Description: Yelich is a tall and athletic, left-handed hitting first baseman, kind of like a very athletic John Olerud type.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: Good hittability, excellent athleticsm. Starting to grow into his frame.

Weaknesses: Below-average throwing arm limits his position somewhat, hasn't shown any power now as of yet.

Summary: Yelich is the type of high school bat that could rise very quickly on draft boards as the spring unfolds. He's got a sweet left-handed stroke and as he fills into his tall, athletic frame, he should hit for more power. He runs well and could even handle an outfield spot, though his below-average arm might limit him somewhat. Kind of an under-the-radar guy when the season began, strong performances and physical maturity will make many teams take a closer look at his bat and his ceiling.
      Originally posted by Matt Wilson
      Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
      Tom Koehler(4-0)
      AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Bat compared to James Loney or Casey Kotchman. Was committed to UM.

6 of the last 8 first round picks have been HS players now.
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

isnt he a low powered 1st baseman? a Gaby sanchez lefty?

Comment

Was anyone predicting this? Just out of curiosity.

Comment

I wanted a pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishfan79 View Post
                isnt he a low powered 1st baseman? a Gaby sanchez lefty?
                I think the marlins would prefer John olerud or mark grace, and he was announced as an OF, but from what I have seen not a bruiser Prince type.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                  I wanted a pitcher.
                  Same here
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

This pick doesn't make sense. Supposedly Christian Yelich is more of a 1b and he has a below average arm and power. With that said, I will get over it if tomorrow we draft a ton of high ceiling prospect like the Pirates did last yr.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?to...ent_id=7172555

Comment

pitcher would of been nice

Comment

We've got more pitching depth in the lower minors than hitting.

Seems like a nice player. I'm psyched, but it's kind of hard to be psyched about someone I've seen 10 seconds of.
                        poop

Comment

Really weird pick but he was moving up the board fast so it was a good pick. Most talk was him to NYY,but a nice young bat. People say sweet lefty stroke like Will Clark/John Olerud.No power at all but should be like Logan Morrison type so not too bad

Give this kid 1.25 mil fast and lets get him to the GCL

Comment

Hard to figure a guy his size has no power but you got to expect if/when he fills out that frame the power can come.

Comment

oh man watch his throwing mechanics

All they gotta do is fix that and bam OFer np (Cuz fixing anything is as easy as a bam). Supposedly might even be athletic enough for CF

I like it, though every name he gets mentioned with also has awesome eyes, so hopefully that doesn't disappoint.

Comment

Working...
                              X