Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Some of Our Relievers Be Starters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jay View Post
    Baker's already at first currently. He's also a FA at the end of the year.
    But Morse will be around for 1B.

He's pretty terrible fielding 3B but he hits LHP well enough to make up for it. I'm hopeful we bring him back regardless of platoon with our lack of good RH bench bats

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post

He's pretty terrible fielding 3B but he hits LHP well enough to make up for it. I'm hopeful we bring him back regardless of platoon with our lack of good RH bench bats
      And Dietrich will be optioned then unless a trade happens or Bour is playing significantly worse than Dietrich. I can't see Solano going down as he's the only guy other than Hech and Dee to play short. I cant see dee being shifted for a rest day for hech.

Comment

Pretty sure Dietrich doesn't need a platoon. Hasn't his numbers always been pretty equal?

The problem is defense. -20 DRS/150 and -15 UZR/150. He would need to hit a LOT to make up for that. I know it was scoffed at in the off season, but I honestly think he should be viewed more as a 1B.
        Aren't most of those defensive stats from 2B though? I mean, obviously telling of what is likely going to happen last 3B, but maybe he is marginally better there.

I don't think he is going to be a longterm answer, probably a solid 350+ PA bench guy who can play everywhere in a pinch, but I don't have a problem giving him an opportunity for real playing time at 3B (assuming Prado/other moves nets another young 3B and salary used for a #2 or better SP). The power is real, maybe it would come together in some capacity.

It's just all about getting an ace. That's where this team can upgrade as they are otherwise committed.

- - - - - - - - - -

That would be nice, but you have to imagine if they aren't contending July 25th, Baker is moved for a AA reliever to a contending team wanting a lefty masher.

Comment

yeah, he's only played 18.2 innings at 3B in the majors

he has 2 errors in 6 chances

1 error in 41 chances in the minors

we really have no idea how he is as a 3B, he's barely played it

Comment

What if they were somehow able to trade Morse (for anything) and then have a Bour/Baker platoon for this and next year?
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
              What if they were somehow able to trade Morse (for anything) and then have a Bour/Baker platoon for this and next year?
              This would be awesome but finding that trade partner is hard. Also any indication on when he'll be back?

Comment

I thought I read he was going to start in rehab games this week. (Today?)
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                  There is nothing preventing them from resigning Baker to do that and be the "veteran bench bat", and letting Morse hang around on the bench/DFA.

I think it's safe to assume trading him is not an option unless he comes back very healthy and hits consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                    There is nothing preventing them from resigning Baker to do that and be the "veteran bench bat", and letting Morse hang around on the bench/DFA.

I think it's safe to assume trading him is not an option unless he comes back very healthy and hits consistently.
                    I don't think we resign Baker if Morse and Bour are expected to be on the roster next year.

Assume we have:
                    Rojas (or defensive type middle infielder)
                    back up catcher (preferably left handed with good defense)
                    back up outfielder (resign Ichiro)
                    Morse/Bour
                    5th bench guy

With Baker as that 5th bench guy, you essentially have 2 guys on the bench who are 1st basemen (I guess Baker plays decent enough defense at 2nd). And I know he and Morse both can play corner outfield spots but unless they sign a defense only type to handle center, they won't get starts out there. Unless of course you think we don't sign a back up outfielder and use Morse/Baker/Dietrich in a corner spot with Yelich shifting to center. We could sign Baker as he can play 3rd if needed but we should try to trade for this guy Austin Barnes as he can catch and play 2nd and 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                      I don't think we resign Baker if Morse and Bour are expected to be on the roster next year.

Assume we have:
                      Rojas (or defensive type middle infielder)
                      back up catcher (preferably left handed with good defense)
                      back up outfielder (resign Ichiro)
                      Morse/Bour
                      5th bench guy

With Baker as that 5th bench guy, you essentially have 2 guys on the bench who are 1st basemen (I guess Baker plays decent enough defense at 2nd). And I know he and Morse both can play corner outfield spots but unless they sign a defense only type to handle center, they won't get starts out there. Unless of course you think we don't sign a back up outfielder and use Morse/Baker/Dietrich in a corner spot with Yelich shifting to center. We could sign Baker as he can play 3rd if needed but we should try to trade for this guy Austin Barnes as he can catch and play 2nd and 3rd.
                      Isn't Ichiro signed through next yr? Thought he signed a two yr deal. Dietrich would be a nice bat off the bench with spot starts. Hope we platoon Bour and Morse. Provided Bour starts to hit again.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
                        Isn't Ichiro signed through next yr? Thought he signed a two yr deal. Dietrich would be a nice bat off the bench with spot starts. Hope we platoon Bour and Morse. Provided Bour starts to hit again.
                        He signed for 1 year deal. He'll be chasing 3000 hits next year so I think his agent advised against 2 year cost saving deal and opted for a 1 year incentive based deal.

Yeah platooning Morse and Bour would be cool, but it makes Baker obsolete unless you see him as 3rd base option. I can't see him playing much 2nd or 3rd with Solano/Rojas on the roster. They both hit lefties better (not as good of a track record as Baker) and provide better defense (well Rojas at least). And one of them or some other back up shortstop should be on the roster; moving Dee to give Hech a day off is pretty dumb.

I'd love to see Morse ditched and extend Baker but I think Baker is easier to trade.

Comment

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 6h6 hours ago
                          The first player teams are calling for from the Marliins is A.J. Ramos. Barring a total overpay, he isn't going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                            Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 6h6 hours ago
                            The first player teams are calling for from the Marliins is A.J. Ramos. Barring a total overpay, he isn't going anywhere.
                            Not even listening to calls on Ramos,Yelich,Ozuna,Hech,Gordon,Capps,The Young SP(Jose,Cosart,Urena,Nicolino)

It is not total panic mode yett but with Stanton out till Aug 1 they have to figure out if they wanna compete this yearr and win 80 games or just get everyone back healthy and get ready for next year. They are listening on the older guys but hearing not gonna give them away just for 25 yr old Low A prospects

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              Not even listening to calls on Ramos,Yelich,Ozuna,Hech,Gordon,Capps,The Young SP(Jose,Cosart,Urena,Nicolino)

It is not total panic mode yett but with Stanton out till Aug 1 they have to figure out if they wanna compete this yearr and win 80 games or just get everyone back healthy and get ready for next year. They are listening on the older guys but hearing not gonna give them away just for 25 yr old Low A prospects
                              Not surprising considering the front office, but the policy should always be listen on everyone and only deal them if blown away. Trading Ramos now would be great for the farm system and even the team next year.

Comment

You trade any reliever you get a strong offer for, and ideally move Haren for something that helps next year.

Prado's the guy you use to replenish the farm or you stand pat.

Comment

Working...
                                X