• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a horrible adoptive dad.
    Sanchez life

Comment

he's a terrible son, you should disown him
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
        yup

coulda gone with Smoak like I said

hell, even fucking Jason Castro
        Every team in every league can say the same exact thing every year. You had never seen him play. He was projected to be a top-5 pick, he was a top-5 pick.

Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

Comment

I didn't have to. The Marlins drafted a high school bat due to a positional need which you should not use the MLB draft for. There wasn't ever any doubt about his power but there were always questions about his average and his catching abilities. Sure, he was the best catcher in the draft, but they literally drafted him because there wasn't another catcher in the system and we had Paul fucking Hoover in the big leagues at the time. You don't draft a questionable 18 year old bat because you need him in the major leagues. That was my point then, and that was my point now. Under the BEST case scenario - if he hit at every level - he'd MAYBE be in the majors later this year, right? You're telling me we were drafting for July 2011 in June 2008? When that draft was going on we had arms galore in the minors but Maybin was the only bat to speak of since Dominguez was always questionable at the plate. LoMo exploded that year in Jupiter but hadn't been anything special before then, Coghlan hadn't done anything special, and Stanton was in his debut year. We needed a bat, and we needed one that wouldn't take too long, and we took an 18 year old with a questionable bat. Alonso, Beckham, Castro, Smoak, Weeks, Wallace, and Ike Davis all went after as college hitters. Every one of them projected very well in the majors, and we passed over them for a high school catcher. I will never get over it and I'll never shut the fuck up about it.
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

There was never any question of his bat. He was thought to be one of the best overall hitters in the draft and he played catcher.

You were right but the reasoning is all wrong. You are Todd without the frequent off topic posts.
            --------------------
            I didn't have to.
            This is in reference to you never seeing him play, yes?

HOW CAN YOU ADMIT YOU HATED HIM AS A PLAYER WHILE ADMITTING YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM PLAY?!?
            Last edited by Mainge; 06-02-2011, 11:15 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Because he was a high school catcher. I assume that's all the reasoning he needs.

Comment

That's dumb.

Comment

because

a) he wasn't what we needed organizationally
                  b) I read scouting reports and watched the videos

the same way other people like and dislike players without seeing them play

Comment

Those same people are just as silly as you are.

Also:

a) he wasn't what we needed organizationally
                    wasn't another catcher in the system and we had Paul fucking Hoover in the big leagues at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                      There was never any question of his bat. He was thought to be one of the best overall hitters in the draft and he played catcher.
                      Skipworth is a strong hitter from the left side with the ability to hit line drives to all fields. Whether he hits for average while handling the rigors of catching remains to be seen.
                      http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...tent=skipworth

he was a lefty hitting catcher with pop so immediately everyone said "Joe Mauer" because people suck at comparisons
                      --------------------
                      Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                      Those same people are just as silly as you are.

Also:
                      but you don't draft for need in the MLB draft. I said that the fact that we didn't have another catcher is why they drafted him, but the point remains that you do not draft for immediate need, and if you do, you take a potentially lower ceiling but near-ready college bat
                      Last edited by emkayseven; 06-02-2011, 11:51 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...tent=skipworth

he was a lefty hitting catcher with pop so immediately everyone said "Joe Mauer" because people suck at comparisons
                        I don't think the Marlins saw that he's a lefty catcher with power and immediately pegged him as Joe Mauer without doing their homework. If you're referring to the fanbase, yes that's dumb. Just like assuming he would suck based on nothing is dumb.

That article makes sound like catching would prevent him from doing that, not that he didn't have the ability.
                        but you don't draft for need in the MLB draft. I said that the fact that we didn't have another catcher is why they drafted him, but the point remains that you do not draft for immediate need, and if you do, you take a potentially lower ceiling but near-ready college bat
                        You're assuming a lot. How do you know that's why he was taken? Maybe he was the highest rated player on their board based on skill, position, and signability.

My whole point is that your constant "I Told You So" is dumb. I can pick a random player to hate and have a 50% chance of being correct.

Comment

It was a reasonable pick at the time that hasnt worked out who went exactly where he was projected to go.
                          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                          Noah Perio
                          Jupiter
                          39 AB
                          15 H
                          0 2B
                          0 3B
                          0 HR
                          0 BB
                          .385/.385/.385

Comment

Now I'm not so sure.

Comment

I think you guys are wrong, and I mean that in a non-combative way as I don't remember clearly, about if he was considered the 6th overall pick. I remember him being universally 10-15 range. I mean, we're not talking a big difference here at this stage in the draft because it's certainly not like the NFL or NBA where there is a huge difference between pick 6 and say 13, but I think the snippet in the posted article about the Marlins slightly over drafting him, taking the slot player, and the scarce position is completely correct.

If the MLB draft had a pure slot, I'm willing to bet we would have taken Crow there. Oh well. Morrison was picked in round 2,317 and Stanton in 2 so I am willing to forgive Skipworth and Sinkbiel. But for the love of god does Dominguez and one of Hand/James/(west) need to turn into something.

Comment

Every mock draft I've looked at either had us taking him or the Reds at 7, with one having him go 10 to the Astros. Don't think that was a reach at all.

And the draft day articles I'm looking at don't paint it as a reach at all.

They just missed. It happens.
                                Last edited by Bobbob1313; 06-02-2011, 08:27 PM.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X