Ugh . . . Pending Fire Sale Before July 31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dim View Post
    I mean Telis gets the majority of his AB's against righties, so I don't think that would the plan. He actually doesn't hit all that bad against lefties, but based on the huge disparity in AB's between righties and lefties, I'd have to say his future in a platoon behind the plate.
    Just a thought to get him ABs at MLB level. I agree, he needs to play as it would be stupid for him to get 5 PA a week.

It would be really nice if the backup catcher could be a platoon partner with Bour, so they could just get the best players available for the bench next year rather than specifically have to look for another 1B. Bour, Dietrich, and Telis could be able to handle 1B theoretically. I am honestly OK with that in theory, assuming they keep Prado and Ozuna and spend all available money to get starting pitching.

Comment

• I mean Realmuto is really good against LHP and Telis really good against RHP. There's an opportunity for a platoon there. Only problem would in this scenario we're taking away the majority of the AB's from Realmuto and giving them to Telis, which I don't see the Marlins doing at the moment.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Telis future is backup C. Can hit and decent defense but can call a game well
      I don't know what his defense is like or his game calling ability, but at 23 years old he pulled a .345/.377/.866 OPS in AAA. That's better than the numbers Realmuto put up in the minors at the same age. I haven't watched him play so obviously he could be a different player than I imagine (hey LoMo how you doin'), but from what I'm seeing Telis, with a little work, has the ability to be a starter at the major league level. Finding catchers who can OPS above .850 at that age at any real level is really hard these days. It's why I'm surprised we were able to get him for Dyson.

Comment

• Ah, he's a switch hitter.

Don't think his splits really suggest that he's good against RHP. Also worth noting that his .866 OPS in AAA came in only 36 games and the rest of his career hasn't been nearly as good so SSS.

Don't think he warrants a platoon spot honestly. Seems like he's a solid backup.

Comment

• Anyone who suggests that Player A can platoon with Player B please just stop.

There will be no regular (smart) platooning going on in 2016 and we all know it.

Please. Do the right thing. Stop.

So.........

It looks like we don't have any orthopedic surgeons on the board so I will consider all "Carter Capps is a ticking time bomb" chatter as pure speculation.

I think most of us can agree that any pitcher who throws laser beams AND has not yet had Tommy John surgery is a ticking time bomb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            Anyone who suggests that Player A can platoon with Player B please just stop.

There will be no regular (smart) platooning going on in 2016 and we all know it.

So.........

It looks like we don't have any orthopedic surgeons on the board so I will consider all "Carter Capps is a ticking time bomb" chatter as pure speculation.

I think most of us can agree that any pitcher who throws laser beams AND has not yet had Tommy John surgery is a ticking time bomb.
            Can't we just say any pitcher not throwing like Jamie Moyer is a ticking time bomb?
            And we can probably assume any smart managing will not take place in the marlins dugout.

Comment

• Guy is one of the most dominant relievers I've ever seen. I'll take the surgery risk if means having a 18 K/9 pitcher at the back of the bullpen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post

Remember that one time we signed Garrett Jones and Jeff Baker in the offseason and we were like "holy shit the FO is actually going to platoon" and then Garrett Jones faced more LHP than ever in his career and Jeff Baker faced more RHP?

Hahahahahaha

Adding to the speculation though is if his pitching motion of dragging his foot will be deemed illegal in the offseason. Lots of people dislike it.

I'd hope the commish would just be like stfu I already ruled on this. But who knows.

I like keeping him. But I also like selling high with so much potential of bringing him down.

Comment

• L
                  Originally posted by Namaste View Post

So.........

I think this board has been talking about platooning since the days of Hee Seop Choi.

Comment

• Originally posted by Party View Post
                    L

I think this board has been talking about platooning since the days of Hee Seop Choi.
                    Those stupid trades go all the way back to 2004, don't they?

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                      Those stupid trades go all the way back to 2004, don't they?
                      2003. They traded Adrian Gonzalez + for Urbina.

Comment

• It's doubtful we even make the playoffs without Urbina in 2003.

Comment

• I think doubtful is a strong word. Didn't he pitch the 8th inning most of the regular season with us anyway?

Comment

• The marlins don't make the playoffs in 2003 if dombrowski hadn't assembled the core.

Comment

• That's accurate.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                                I think doubtful is a strong word. Didn't he pitch the 8th inning most of the regular season with us anyway?
                                I don't really understand the point your trying to make here. He probably made more appearances because he wasn't strictly a closer for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X