Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do other teams tell the media how much payroll will approximately be ahead of time? Just seems to me you paint yourself into a corner in the trade market as well. They can jack up the price on a cheaper player, because they know that player is the only option for your team because of the price tag.

Comment

• I missed some of the press conference.....

Was is Loria who said the payroll goal was $60 mil or Samson or who?

Comment

• Samson
        poop

Comment

• Ok thanks. Oye.

Comment

• @ByTimReynolds: David Samson: Marlins expect payroll between $60M and $70M in 2015.
            So, yeah.
            poop

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
              Do other teams tell the media how much payroll will approximately be ahead of time? Just seems to me you paint yourself into a corner in the trade market as well.

That's classic Samson, though.

They all at once shocked the world and then immediately made everyone go, "oh yeah, same old Marlins."
              --------------------
              Is it possible though because we only have Jose for 2 or 3 months next year that they're gunning for 2016?

No, they're probably not doing that much thinking about it.
              Last edited by Namaste; 11-19-2014, 12:17 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                Is it possible though because we only have Jose for 2 or 3 months next year that they're gunning for 2016?
                There's no reason they can't do both.

They'll probably just keep all the same guys as payroll rises with arbitration and then say they're doing the right thing.
                poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                  Fuck that.

seriously. Fuck that.
                  --------------------
                  $80 million isn't asking a lot. That should be the bare fucking minimum.

I don't see how they can say they are serious about competing when they're unwilling to even be 27th in payroll. This is ridiculous.

They've drawn a million more fans than the Indians over the last three seasons combined, and their opening day payroll has been $37 million less over that time.

What was the point of dumping all that salary and going cheap the last two seasons if not to save up and go for it?

And it's stupid that "go for it" is "be 26th in payroll."
                  I think I didn't clarify enough. That's my bad

I'm really happy with the payroll flexibility and current roster construction, at least for the next 3 years. That's what I meant. Should they spend $80-90? Absolutely. I agree, one top free agent, two "good" ones, and keeping some/all of Cishek/Eovaldi/Dunn (i.e., guys good teams keep at their current prices even if next year they are definitely priced out of competitive salaries for what they likely will offer), is a killer team and something they should strive for.

But I still think, if they are super creative, they could figure it out for $60-65 if they had too. It's hard to give them credit for not signing anyone for years and dumping long term deals, but they do have flexibility right now.

Comment

• @AndySlater: Audio: Marlins president David Samson says "no" to Hanley Ramirez, "you never know" to Pablo Sandoval. https://t.co/Ug9DSpl59p
                    Twitter

Comment

Maybe they can juggle five balls at once while walking the tightrope of a $60 million payroll and get to the same place
                      Expecting a lot out of Dietrich there

Comment

• Why are they putting Samson in front of the mic? Is he just answering every question the media could ask?

Comment

• As long as Yelich is locked up as well this off season. Im happy.
                          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Ralph is happy with us winning 79 games next year and 84 in 2015.

As long we lock Yelly up.

Comment

@ByTimReynolds: David Samson: Marlins expect payroll between $60M and $70M in 2015.

So, yeah.
                              If they do it right, $70 shouldn't make you mad.

For instance, Shields $20, LaRoche $12, Veteran IF, $3, ditch Cishek/Eovaldi/Jones ($18 million sent out) and get at least 1 good young infielder that can play now and prospects:

Salty, Mathis
                              LaRoche/McGehee, Dietrich
                              Veteran IF, Hernandez, Baker
                              Hech
                              Headley/McGehee, "Young Guy for Cishek"
                              Yelich, Ozuna, Stanton
                              Alvarez, Shields, Cosart, Koehler, Heaney
                              Ramos, Morris, Dunn, Hand, Hatcher, Capps, Dyson/DeScalfani

I don't know how you get mad at that at $70. Of course, they'd have to knock the FA signings and the trades out of the park, but money does talk. Shields would sign for 4 at a $18-20 clip for sure. Can't see him being a $100 million pitcher on a 5 year deal.

It's team contingent for me. Let's just see the end product. I don't think it's $85 or they suck. If the team turns out to be $60 and has two glaring holes (let's say both Koehler and Hand starting for some reason and Jones still at 1B with no competition), thats the problem.

But can't get mad right now until it plays out. Stanton was the first domino.

Comment

• Agree with lou. No reason to spend just to spend. If you can do it for 60, do it for 60. If it takes 80, do it for 80.

What I will say is I hope the recognize the window they have with the Braves retooling, Phillies down and out, and Mets not yet ready for primetime. By 2016 the Braves, Nats, and Mets will all be formidable.
                                Originally posted by Madman81
                                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                X