• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, that's absolutely worthless.
    poop

Comment

• And on that note:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...pe=rss_marlins

Slugger Mike Stanton hasn't played a full major-league season yet, but the Marlins are already thinking about making him a fixture at their new ballpark.

The Marlins have been having preliminary internal talks about a possible long-term contract for the 21-year-old right fielder.

The team hasn't come up with anything specific in terms of money and years, according to a person familiar with the situation, who said an offer probably wouldn't be made until next year.

Stanton went into Friday leading the Marlins with 25 home runs and 67 RBI. He had 47 homers in his first 205 games since being called up from Class AA Jacksonville in June 2010.

He is making $416,000 this year and is under club control for two more years, meaning he won't be eligible for arbitration until after the 2013 season.

But the Marlins could do what the Milwaukee Brewers did with outfielder Ryan Braun, locking him up to a long-term deal and buying out his arbitration years.

Braun, a University of Miami product who was drafted fifth overall in 2005, signed an eight-year, $45 million extension in May 2008. As a rookie in 2007, he hit 34 homers and had 97 RBI.

Stanton, a second-round pick in 2007, received a $475,000 signing bonus.

The Marlins want to see how he finishes this year and how he handles his first year at their new ballpark, which opens in April in Little Havana.

Comment

• Was just about to post this. Yippie.

Comment

• BroncoBob thinks if we do this we won't have any money next year.
          poop

Comment

• I unfortunately read that over there.

Comment

• He is, in fact, the worst.

He is to "being the worst" what signing Stanton long term would be to "being the best."
              --------------------
              Stanton, a second-round pick in 2007, received a $475,000 signing bonus.

The Marlins want to see how he finishes this year and how he handles his first year at their new ballpark, which opens in April in Little Havana.
              By this, I'd expect something mid-season, like Hanley's deal.
              Last edited by Bobbob1313; 08-05-2011, 06:50 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              poop

Comment

• So we don't get David Wright/Joe Mauer'd?

I guess that's OK, but I'd rather just say F it and give him the contract. It's silly to see how he plays at the ballpark, if you like him enough to make the long term commitment, fix the park (Yankees changed their batter's eye, the Tigers brought in the fences). It's dumb for teams to see a place play like Citi or Target and just suck the life out of their franchise. /tangent

I'm really excited we're thinking about locking him.

Comment

• I personally don't see why the park is even relevant with all of this.

Then again, I said the same thing at the trade deadline. Who knows what they're thinking...

Comment

• When you lead the league in 400+ ft home runs, no park can really contain you.

Comment

• Over at idiotbay there is a guy who is arguing that Greg Dobbs has been the most consistent and clutch hitter on the Marlins and that Mike Stanton isn't consistent because he's hitting .260.

You guys should really check it out.
                      poop

Comment

• I don't think Festers wants that.
                        poop

Comment

• I don't think I want it
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                            Over at idiotbay there is a guy who is arguing that Greg Dobbs has been the most consistent and clutch hitter on the Marlins and that Mike Stanton isn't consistent because he's hitting .260.

You guys should really check it out.
                            Haven't we filled our stupid comment quota for the day with the Volstad thread?

Comment

• There's never enough stupid comments.
                              poop

Comment

• No, that guy is just dumb all around.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X