Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
    I'd only deal Realmuto to the Nats if Robles is in the deal.
    even if he wont sign an extension past the 3 years and you can get Soto + ?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    i didnt know mike jacobs was the batavia manager last year too. He strikes me as someone who i dont want anywhere near young hitting prospects giving them advice.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      Yes 3 years is a long time. We're sure to get more offers for him, also gives time for things to settle down and minds to change. Guy's making $3.5 million next year, that's nothing, don't trade him just because we've traded everyone else.

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

i didnt know mike jacobs was the batavia manager last year too. He strikes me as someone who i dont want anywhere near young hitting prospects giving them advice.
        Yes everyone knows #1 prospect only!! Havent u seen all of his posts

He isn't signing an extension here

Comment

Yes 3 years is a long time. We're sure to get more offers for him, also gives time for things to settle down and minds to change. Guy's making $3.5 million next year, that's nothing, don't trade him just because we've traded everyone else.
          But my point is that Soto is an absolute stud in his own right and might be just a level below Robles with potential to be better, plus youd get a few other really good prospects. Realmuto isnt re-signing, and if he does, you're paying a lot for him, and while i think his positional value is huge, i dont think he is ever a superstar level catcher. If you can get 3 top prospects for him with 6 years of team control, you do that every time.

Comment

• Until we do sign someone significant to a fair and logical contract extension, things truly haven't changed. Not saying Realmuto has to be that guy, but you two guys are all jacked about this rebuild process, all about these deals Jeter and Co. are making but when it comes to actually keeping people around, it's just not possible. If it's not possible, what are we doing here? You're praying for a miracle season like 2003, because that's the only chance you've got. Continued success is an impossibility.

Comment

Until we do sign someone significant to a fair and logical contract extension, things truly haven't changed. Not saying Realmuto has to be that guy, but you two guys are all jacked about this rebuild process, all about these deals Jeter and Co. are making but when it comes to actually keeping people around, it's just not possible. If it's not possible, what are we doing here? You're praying for a miracle season like 2003, because that's the only chance you've got. Continued success is an impossibility.
              Who says keeping people around is not possible? Keeping Realmuto in particular just so happens to appear to be impossible given the bad blood between the team. IF this is a continued pattern even with the guys we get now, then it is an issue, but trading Realmuto, at least in my opinion, says nothing about our ability to keep these future guys around.

Comment

• Craig Mish‏Verified account
                @CraigMish
                Following Following @CraigMish
                More
                As @JonHeyman noted Robles is the only Marlins target w Nationals for JT Realmuto. Marlins are not budging off that. 1 for 1 will get it done. No other teams are close.

10:34 AM - 26 Jan 2018

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                  Craig Mish‏Verified account
                  @CraigMish
                  More
                  As @JonHeyman noted Robles is the only Marlins target w Nationals for JT Realmuto. Marlins are not budging off that. 1 for 1 will get it done. No other teams are close.

That's awesome. Throw in Barraclough to sweeten the pot and take one of the C+ catchers back and call it a day. Hell also send them Ziegler and half his contract.

Comment

@CraigMish
                    More

Good.

Fish16, Ozuna it was Scott Boras. Realmuto it's bad blood. What will the excuse be next time if somehow one of these deals turns up a star player? I'm just saying, there's no need to feel like you have to deal Realmuto, and mending fences with the guys that are still here, might be the most beneficial course of action right now, I mean unless they're never going to try and bring players in via free agency or ever get anyone to sign a contract extension.

Comment

• I don't think it's fair to criticize this front office for the Marlins historically not being able to buyout their players (except Yelich and Hanley pretty much). Loria's faults with Cabrera and others in this regard don't fall on Team Jeter.

I would assume if Brinson is kick ass, he'll get proposed a deal when he gets over 2 years of service time. That goes for pretty much anyone moving forward.

Realmuto is certainly a candidate right now, but is he going to accept 3 years of sucking even if he gets paid? If Yelich was around maybe, but that ship has sailed.

It's still a regime change. The selloff may be a very Marlins thing to do, but the next steps might not be with buyouts of young players, a new international strategy, and renewed interest in more free agents. This is a wait and see for sure.

Comment

• it may not be fair but I think it's a reality, especially with how the first 3-4 months of this new regime have gone. The sins of Loria will follow Jeter and Co. until they go out and change the narrative.

Comment

Who says keeping people around is not possible? Keeping Realmuto in particular just so happens to appear to be impossible given the bad blood between the team. IF this is a continued pattern even with the guys we get now, then it is an issue, but trading Realmuto, at least in my opinion, says nothing about our ability to keep these future guys around.
                          It's always possible, but it's always been "the next group of players, we'll sign and keep around." Over and over. I know it's a new group, so they may do just that. All we can do is wait since there's nobody left.

Comment

@CraigMish
                            More

Ya they haven't come off the price but most think eventually they will give in a take a Soto plus 3/4 others. They are having serious talks right now with Washington so something has to be going on beside Robles.

Key is they are only talking to Nats right now and talks are pretty serious
                            Last edited by tjfla; 01-26-2018, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• Just want to note this which I never saw before:

Wei-Yin Chen lhp
                              5 years/$80M (2016-20), plus conditional 2021 option
                              signed by Miami as a free agent 1/19/16
                              $13M signing bonus ($5M paid 11/30/17, $8M paid 6/30/18)
                              16:$6M, 17:$9M, 18:$10M player option, 19:$20M player option, 20:$22M player option, 21:$16M conditional player option
                              Chen must exercise 2018-20 options together within four days after the end of the 2017 World Series
                              Chen receives 2021 player option if he 1) has 180 innings pitched in 2020 or 360 IP in 2019-20 and 2) is not on the disabled list at the end of the 2020 season, and 3) is healthy for 2021 spring training
                              Total of $64.5M in 2016-21 salaries is deferred without interest (16:$3M, 17:$4.5M, 18:$8M, 19:$16M, 20:$17M , 21:$16M)
                              Chen to receive deferred payments of $3M on 11/30/16, $4.5M on 11/30/17, $2M on 11/30/18, $6M on 6/30/19, $4M on 11/30/19, $9M on 6/30/20, $5M on 11/30/20, $15M on 6/30/21, $1M on 11/30/21, $15M on 6/30/22

Fucking Loria jesus christ.

So basically Cot's annual spreadsheet is wrong and they owe Chen some serious bucks in 2022? What about Stanton not opting-out, Marlins could be paying something like $20 million bucks to Chen and Staton in 2022?

What a mess. I hope they just pay this guy out next 3 years to get him off the books

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                                Just want to note this which I never saw before:

Wei-Yin Chen lhp
                                5 years/$80M (2016-20), plus conditional 2021 option
                                signed by Miami as a free agent 1/19/16
                                $13M signing bonus ($5M paid 11/30/17, $8M paid 6/30/18)
                                16:$6M, 17:$9M, 18:$10M player option, 19:$20M player option, 20:$22M player option, 21:$16M conditional player option
                                Chen must exercise 2018-20 options together within four days after the end of the 2017 World Series
                                Chen receives 2021 player option if he 1) has 180 innings pitched in 2020 or 360 IP in 2019-20 and 2) is not on the disabled list at the end of the 2020 season, and 3) is healthy for 2021 spring training
                                Total of $64.5M in 2016-21 salaries is deferred without interest (16:$3M, 17:$4.5M, 18:$8M, 19:$16M, 20:$17M , 21:$16M)
                                Chen to receive deferred payments of $3M on 11/30/16, $4.5M on 11/30/17, $2M on 11/30/18, $6M on 6/30/19, $4M on 11/30/19, $9M on 6/30/20, $5M on 11/30/20, $15M on 6/30/21, $1M on 11/30/21, $15M on 6/30/22

Fucking Loria jesus christ.

So basically Cot's annual spreadsheet is wrong and they owe Chen some serious bucks in 2022? What about Stanton not opting-out, Marlins could be paying something like $20 million bucks to Chen and Staton in 2022?

What a mess. I hope they just pay this guy out next 3 years to get him off the books
                                Ya u didn't know this? Jeff paid him like nothing when he owned the team but tons of cash for new owner. This was why everyone was bitching about him not getting surgery

Comment

Working...
                                X