Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dim View Post
    And calling Jeter an owner is weird even if it's technically true. He paid $25 million so he could run a baseball team.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    And Jeter will recoup that $25 million in 5 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
      This draft should be the best most advanced college hitter. They have only been targeting pitching they need a cornerstone bat. A Seth Beer. I don’t care that he doesn’t have positional flexibility the bat is for real.
      I think they can go with best available college player first 2-3 picks. They still need everything. If they end up with 8 good SP, great. Easily can trade them for bats.

Comment

• FWIW friend of mine was at the thing last night and spoke to Mike Hill. Hill basically said that Loria forced his hand on many things such as Cashner trade and Chen signing in particular
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
          FWIW friend of mine was at the thing last night and spoke to Mike Hill. Hill basically said that Loria forced his hand on many things such as Cashner trade and Chen signing in particular
          Ya pretty much. Jeff Loria made all the decisions which is why alot in MLB thinks Mike Hill should get a chance. I am no fan but have to admit when Jeff stayed out of it(July 2017) Mike Hill made some solid trades

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
          I think they can go with best available college player first 2-3 picks. They still need everything. If they end up with 8 good SP, great. Easily can trade them for bats.
          They should do this in 2018 and 2019

2018-3 of first 75 picks
          2019-3 of first 45 picks

Take college guys who could be up by 2020/21. I dont care what they do as long as they take talent and not some guy ranked #763 because he would sign cheap
          Last edited by tjfla; 12-20-2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Jacob Turner is back, guys. Championship!

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              Sherman is blatantly pushing Jeter for that role. They call Sherman's office every day on the lebatard show and sherman's receptionist type guy specifically refers all questions to Jeter. It appears Sherman wants no part of the spotlight and he'd rather put up the funds and let Jeter deal with the media. I think Jeter is going to be a combo of Samson and Loria.

- - - - - - - - - -

actually, the more i think about it, there really was no Jeter type role previously in the organization. We had a pretty deliberate separation of baseball guys and business guys under the previous ownership.
              Sherman has NOTHING to do with the team. The only reason he is even controlling owner is because they wouldn't let Jeter do it with 3% control. Sherman would love to sell his stake to Mas tommorrow but when he tried to get Mas in Oct Jeter lost it so he didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                Sherman has NOTHING to do with the team. The only reason he is even controlling owner is because they wouldn't let Jeter do it with 3% control. Sherman would love to sell his stake to Mas tommorrow but when he tried to get Mas in Oct Jeter lost it so he didn't.
                What's the point of paying all that money to not be involved in any way? I wonder if they circle back to Mas at any point.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                  What's the point of paying all that money to not be involved in any way? I wonder if they circle back to Mas at any point.
                  Well he is retired and has tons of disposalable income. 70 million dollar yacht/multiple houses and now a new best friend.

If Jeter is ever fired or quits then yes but as long as Jeter is there-HELL NO. Mas tried 3 times and Jeter blocked him every time

Comment

• Jacob turner signing back here is legitimately funny

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                      FWIW friend of mine was at the thing last night and spoke to Mike Hill. Hill basically said that Loria forced his hand on many things such as Cashner trade and Chen signing in particular
                      Jeff didn't make the trades but when Mike Hill would bring them to Jeff he didn't care who he had to give up as long as he got a ML guy in return. This is why teams would offer us crazy ass deals (Rodney for Paddock) they knew that Jeff had no clue about the farm system and no one could tell him anything because he thought he was like Jerry Jones. Owner/President/GM

It was the same with the Draft-Stan Meek ran,drafted,and did it all. Jeff didnt care about it and probably didnt even know when it was. Now usually an owner wouldnt know about it but remember Jeff Loria was pretty much the GM of them team not just the owner.

- - - - - - - - - -

Jeff Passan‏Verified account
                      @JeffPassan

Source: Giants get Evan Longoria for Christian Arroyo, Denard Span, Matt Krook and Stephen Woods.

Krook is one of many Marlins picks who couldn't pass the physical

Comment

When they asked Jeter about bringing Tommy and Rich back, he said he had nothing to do with that. If that's true, who else would be making those decisions other than Sherman?

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                          When they asked Jeter about bringing Tommy and Rich back, he said he had nothing to do with that. If that's true, who else would be making those decisions other than Sherman?
                          FOX Florida. If Sherman and Jeter had control of Fox Florida decisions they would be signing a much bigger TV deal right now

Comment

FOX Florida. If Sherman and Jeter had control of Fox Florida decisions they would be signing a much bigger TV deal right now
                            Local announcer teams are employed by the teams they cover.

- - - - - - - - - -

Giants trade for Longoria. They get Arroyo, Krook, and Woods back. I'm curious if this would have been some of the parts coming back in the Stanton deal. Krook would be pretty funny.

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

Giants trade for Longoria. They get Arroyo, Krook, and Woods back. I'm curious if this would have been some of the parts coming back in the Stanton deal. Krook would be pretty funny.
                              Span and Arroyo were in 1 of the deals. The one that had us paying the least but taking back Span's deal

Well guess Jeter lied when they asked him if he could bring them back. Someone should ask Bruce Sherman. His response would be "Who the hell are they?"

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

Im fairly certain they are not. Radio guys might be, especially in football, but im fairly certain that the marlins announcers worked for FSflorida, not the marlins.

Also, out of all the things wrong with this organization, what sense does it make for jeter to go about dealing with the fucking tv announcer out of all things? I believe this was a FSflorida decision due to Waltz's salary likely being fairly large given his tenure and the fact that we will stink regardless and nobody watches the marlins games regardless.

Comment

Working...
                                X